Large old Radios in working boat cabins.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Big Bob W said:

Well, that's cleared up the mystery of what the radio was!

I am fairly familiar with the 19 set - in fact I am sure there is one in the attic somewhere.

I am guessing he was working the 40m band in that case. It would have been interesting to see what antenna he was using. I'll get looking through the photo's again.

The 18 set was issued to front line units from 'whatever' regiment back to the next level up (I don't have any details - even though my father was Royal Signals in WW2).

The 19 set was later (I think the '18 was made in in 1936 upwards (!!) 'cos we had them in my school CCF section) and fitted in various vehicles via 12V DC. I think they had a rotary converter built in, to provide 5.3VDC for the valve heaters and 160V DC for the valve system. But the worked....

When you view what can be achieved today with a small mobile phone - you wonder how anyone managed to communicate to anyone else - with or without a pigeon ....

11 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

When you view what can be achieved today with a small mobile phone - you wonder how anyone managed to communicate to anyone else - with or without a pigeon ....

Aldis lamp or semaphore. :captain:

5010369100_0aac046373_c.jpg

flags.JPG

ETA:

Nelson managed it with "England expects."  

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/England_expects_that_every_man_will_do_his_duty

1892606193_Englandexpects.JPG.4f9da452e7a9cb0687699570c6b4c1e8.JPG

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

19 hours ago, OldGoat said:

(snip)

The 19 set was later (I think the '18 was made in in 1936 upwards (!!) 'cos we had them in my school CCF section) and fitted in various vehicles via 12V DC. I think they had a rotary converter built in, to provide 5.3VDC for the valve heaters and 160V DC for the valve system. But the worked....

Same here. The rotary converter and power supplies was a separate box, The rotary converter supplied HT for transmit, while the receive HT and the low voltage heater supply came from transformers. The 19 set itself contained an "A" set on VHF and a UHF "B" set, which had been removed before the radios were issued to CCF units. There was a controller box, which enabled selection of A, B, A->B, B->A or Intercom. There was also a high power amplifier available, which connected between the antenna and the main set.

That "small mobile phone" needs a fair bit of infrastructure to make it work!

I think the sailor series of radios must be some of the best general purpose receivers ever made. We have a 66T in daily use here on Sara, usually tuned to either Radio 4 on LW or Caroline on 648. It also sees use on the amateur bands with the companion 76D transmitter. Tuning coastgaurd broadcasts is a little fiddly and requires safe cracker fingertips! 

sailor76D.jpg

12 hours ago, Robert B. said:

usually tuned to either Radio 4 on LW or Caroline on 648

Blimey, is Radio Caroline going again? I loved the pirates during their all too brief '60s heyday, but surely they are an irrelevance now, as their avowed aim of legalising commercial broadcasting has been fully achieved?

11 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Heading for the Arctic are we?

My radio interest extends to discovering the OFF switch.

We were heard in Iceland the other day - does that count?  The Off switch is top left. It is the only control the wife knows how to operate ?

9 hours ago, Athy said:

Blimey, is Radio Caroline going again? I loved the pirates during their all too brief '60s heyday, but surely they are an irrelevance now, as their avowed aim of legalising commercial broadcasting has been fully achieved?

Caroline are now licenced to use the former World Service facility at Orfordness, 1 KW on 648 khz into a 350 foot mast. I do find it amusing that the former pirate is using an ex-BBC facility that was paid for by the foreign office...

An overnight transmitting session on the Sailor 76D installed on Sara:

Wspr record DX 19.08.2020.jpg

Edited by Robert B.

• 4 weeks later...