Beta wiring loom

Featured Posts

Hi guys need some help, I've had a serious fire in a wiring loom on my beta 43. Not to bore you too much with the details none of which were of my doing, I hasten to add.

However a dead short to earth occured in the main loom on a cable/cables, one starting at battery positive and the other from domestic alternator positive. They pass through the main loom, terminate at the engine panel in 2 connectors - one 11spade multi block and one 2wire conector, this 2 wire connector is the one that has caused the problem it's part of the beta alternator controller circuit and does not apear to be fused.

All the gauges survived but the loom looks to be totaled, the complete loom comes in three pieces all of which I am going to need. I have a call into Beta and am awaiting a price from them.

In the meantime I could do with an alternative Any suggestions?

Do you have the manual for the engine? I think this shows the wiring details and may be needed by an electrician if they can't get the loom off the shelf.

I have the manual on my boat but can't get it until Friday and may not be able to post a copy to you until after the weekend.

Can you download the manual from the Beta website?

Hi guys need some help, I've had a serious fire in a wiring loom on my beta 43. Not to bore you too much with the details none of which were of my doing, I hasten to add.

However a dead short to earth occured in the main loom on a cable/cables, one starting at battery positive and the other from domestic alternator positive. They pass through the main loom, terminate at the engine panel in 2 connectors - one 11spade multi block and one 2wire conector, this 2 wire connector is the one that has caused the problem it's part of the beta alternator controller circuit and does not apear to be fused.

All the gauges survived but the loom looks to be totaled, the complete loom comes in three pieces all of which I am going to need. I have a call into Beta and am awaiting a price from them.

This is a quick and dirty option, the sort of thing that you could do to limp home (or to a better location)

This needs the starter and both alternator positive leads to be in place; and also the main battery negative. EVERYTHING ELSE NEEDS TO BE DISCONNECTED FROM THE ENGINE.

Firstly (and each time you start and run using this method) check the oil and water levels are correct.

Fit a temporary lead from the domestic alternator warning lamp terminal to the domestic battery.

Using a length of thick cable, or a single jump lead, apply a feed from the start battery positive to the glow plugs (at the point where the loom connects) for as long as you would normaly use the heat position on the key switch.

Transfer positive feed from the glow plugs to the starter solenoid terminal to engage the starter; remove it as soon as the engine starts.

Remove the cable/jump lead from the battery positive.

Fit a jump lead between domestic and start battery.

The start battery alternator wiring is far less accessable - which is why I use the domestic alternator to charge the start battery. The start battery alternator will not be harmed as long as it remains connected to its battery.

Stop the engine using the manual lever on the side of the govenor/fuel pump housing.

REMOVE THE TEMPORARY LINKS FROM THE DOMESTIC ALTERNATOR AND BETWEEN THE BATTERIES until you next start the engine.

Steve

edited for spelling and to add reference to main battery negative

Edited by Eeyore

It is reasonably straightforward to rewire this engine if necesary and often wiring harnesses can be satisfactorily repaired. If you are near Stone, give me a PM with your location and phone number and I will come and have a look.

Regards

Arnot