Castle Mill boatyard, Oxford.

Carrie

Featured Posts

Just thought I'd post a link to the latest development in the Castle Mill Boatyard story. There's an open day on 25th September at the boatyard to discuss it's future as a community boatyard (not sure what that is yet), since BW got their planning permission turned down.

LINK

I hope that the planners and BW manage to preserve at least part of the Castle Mill site as a working boatyard, not least because I have an historical connection with that part of Oxford. My Great Grandmother was born in Canal Street and was the daughter of one of the Blacksmiths who worked for the Oxford Canal Company. She was baptised in St Barnabus Church which can be seen towering above the old Boatyard. It would be very sad if the view of that inspired Church Tower was lost to passing boats if hidden by modern development.

I hope that the planners and BW manage to preserve at least part of the Castle Mill site as a working boatyard, not least because I have an historical connection with that part of Oxford. My Great Grandmother was born in Canal Street and was the daughter of one of the Blacksmiths who worked for the Oxford Canal Company. She was baptised in St Barnabus Church which can be seen towering above the old Boatyard. It would be very sad if the view of that inspired Church Tower was lost to passing boats if hidden by modern development.

31617[/snapback]

From what I've understood, BW have had their plans for luxury housing on the site rejected twice but seem intent on grinding away till they win. Children's author, Philip Pullman is backing the retention of the yard as a public boatyard too.

There's an online petition to sign if anyone wants to (the link above). That's a fine connection, David - I hope something of your history is preserved. :lol:

• 1 year later...

:)

Hi just to update a little bit. The Jericho Community Boatyard Ltd are having a meeting this evening - 22nd Feb at St.Barnabus Church for 7pm. This is to discuss the future of the Boatyard. All welcome.

Also British Waterways have got the Change of use at the Alchemy Boat Builders site, Kings Bridge The Gables, Yarnton changed to a Boatyard site. I believe they have now refused to go any further on this site, now that they have sold Castlemill to Castlemore (Springur), and that David Morris of Castlemore is looking into putting money in to put the frontage alongside the area.

If this is allowed to go ahead they will need a signiture to show Cherwell Council that it is now an up-and-running Boatyard.

The owners of this site are looking into recieving Investors, Buyers or Developers to turn the area into a fully functioning and working Boatyard.

Cheers & Good luck with the meeting!!.

• 2 years later...