Does anyone know anything about this boat

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Am I the only one they got right? :lol:

ARIEL Built by YARWOODS/ STOCKTON DRY DOCK - Length 15.25 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.09 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) Metal hull, power of 22BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 48640 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19/04/2008.

Perhaps but it looks as if your licence is out of date :lol:

Edited by NB Alnwick

Ha! you should see our boats entry

LADY MOONLIGHT Built by M & N NARROWBOATS - Length 15.25 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.09 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 999BHP.

with that kind of draft I could use it as a marsh boat and as for the power rating anyone for skiing? :lol:

That explains a lot . . .

Am I the only one they got right? :lol:

ARIEL Built by YARWOODS/ STOCKTON DRY DOCK - Length 15.25 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.09 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) Metal hull, power of 22BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 48640 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19/04/2008.

No, ours is correct, and ours looks a bit more recently licensed! :lol:

CHALICE Built by EVANS & SON - Length 15.25 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.09 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.62 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 30BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 500034 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19-May-09.

Actually, to be fair, ours should currently say "Unpowered". :lol:

That explains a lot . . .

I know. Shallow canals are nothing to me hell! at that draft I could float down the high street on a wet afternoon! :lol:

Watch out with yer moorings I shall be passing Cropredy sometime around 07 September.

Edited by churchward

I know shallow canals are nothing to me hell! at that draft I could float down the high street on a wet afternoon! :lol:

Watch out with yer moorings I shall be passing Copredy sometime around 07 September.

No probs - if can I start up my 999 BHP engine I might make a few waves myself :lol:

We have driven past her on may occasion but can never seem to find any info on her. She is called Chance and thast pretty much all i can tell you

DSC00010.jpg

It is claimed that the gauge number for this boat is B.C.N. 22540 - 22 July 1916 - 2 (no name) - Chance & Hunt Ltd., Oldbury - cabin wood boat with 5 beams. The gauge table also lists subsequent owners as G. J. Eveson Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. and in March 1932 W.H. Matty & Co. (correct order of ownership), the boat being renamed MERSEY 24 in April 1923 but I am unsure who for. Intersetingly the three versions of this table I have seen are crossed out with the words "cut up 25/11/1936" or "cut up 01/12/1936", which puts some doubt as to whether this is the correct gauge number for this boat !

I then have this boat appearing as CHANCE TWO in the 1970's. It was converted to a motor house boat in 1972 using Hotchkiss cones coupled to an Enfield 2 cylinder diesel 18hp @ 1800 r.p.m., although it may have been an unpowered house boat prior to this date. Since then it has had several owners dotted all over the place and has been named VALENTINE, MERSEY, HERITAGE and now CHANCE 2 again.

I hope this goes some way to answering your question. I am sure Carl will be able to expand on my details.

Edited by pete harrison

:lol:

Interesting results for our boat - if I search by name I get:-

IONA II Built by Doug Moore - Length 17 metres (55 feet 9 inches ) - Beam 2 metres (6 feet 7 inches ) Diesel . Registered with EA Thames Region number F009766. Last registration recorded on 02/03/2006.

If I search by the reg no I get:-

IONA Built by OTHER - Length 17.07 metres (56 feet ) - Beam 1.83 metres (6 feet ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 999BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 49724 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19-May-09.

Our 3 litre marinised tractor engine sure is powerful :lol: and if our draft is that shallow we shouldn't be running aground as often as we do when we try to moor!

We have driven past her on may occasion but can never seem to find any info on her. She is called Chance and thast pretty much all i can tell you

DSC00010.jpg

chance ii in the early 90s i helped take her from keysham on the river avon to harefield on the grand union via the k & a, thames & oxford canal the boat was sold sometime afer 2000 then went up to licoln. it was powered by an enfield engine & using hodgekiss cone propulsion.the hull was in very good condition.

• 5 years later...

Ha! you should see our boats entryLADY MOONLIGHT Built by M & N NARROWBOATS - Length 15.25 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.09 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 999BHP. with that kind of draft I could use it as a marsh boat and as for the power rating anyone for skiing? biggrin.gif

It's got less draft that the airboats in the Everglades

Tried to help the new owners (lovely people and very enthusiastic) get this boat into hurleston bottom lock a couple of weeks ago, alas unsuccessfully as it's had bulkheads fitted after the hull had spread, so wouldn't pull in on the chains and was about an inch to wide. There taking it to there place on the Montgomery to restore it.

Tried to help the new owners (lovely people and very enthusiastic) get this boat into hurleston bottom lock a couple of weeks ago, alas unsuccessfully as it's had bulkheads fitted after the hull had spread, so wouldn't pull in on the chains and was about an inch to wide. There taking it to there place on the Montgomery to restore it.

Ah yes I remember you. You were very helpful :D

• Greenie 1