Power Saving Tips

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

smarting bloodshot watery eyes, greasy itchy face, burnt fingers. mellow.png

are you giving a description of yourself Bizz, Loool

I always go for those BIG soups in the tins, plus the tinned breakfasts, allthough i will buy fresh salad stuff, not too keen on veggies.

• 4 months later...

Save power by wearing a onesie at all times of the year, especially during the summer months as a thermal type onesie can be very helpfull for ones physique. Don't partake in otherworldly activities such as T.V. or TinterWeb or Media of any type (just educate yourself by reading a book or a copy of The Towpath Weekly). Never use any lighting except a candle or a torch. Don't shower, muck looks a lot like suntan. Don't listen to music, unless you own a Sony Walkman Portable Cassette Player that accepts 6xAA-1.5v batteries. And most of all, forget cats and dogs, purchase a hamster, these timmering wee beasties can be a godsend in winter.

Still at it?

Still going strong!

Kids are still human!

Wife still loves me (I think).

Love to Phill and Nulfie if your still within your mortal coils.

XX.

Save power by wearing a onesie at all times of the year, especially during the summer months as a thermal type onesie can be very helpfull for ones physique. Don't partake in otherworldly activities such as T.V. or TinterWeb or Media of any type (just educate yourself by reading a book or a copy of The Towpath Weekly). Never use any lighting except a candle or a torch. Don't shower, muck looks a lot like suntan. Don't listen to music, unless you own a Sony Walkman Portable Cassette Player that accepts 6xAA-1.5v batteries. And most of all, forget cats and dogs, purchase a hamster, these timmering wee beasties can be a godsend in winter.

Still at it?

Still going strong!

Kids are still human!

XX.

Glad to report that both Paul and myself are still alive and kicking (nice to see you posting again)

Phil

Still at it?

Still going strong!

Kids are still human!

XX.

No,no,no! There is no good eating in a hamster. Now a good sized cat or dog could keep a person nourished for a few days.Roast them in your stove to save on gas.

Still at it?

Still going strong!

Kids are still human!

XX.

Hey Dan!

Hi chap glad to see you still posting...

I texted you on your birthday but don't know

if you got it so... "Happy Belated Birthday"

All still the same here so you know where I am...

Sunnyside up to you and yourssmile.png

• 1 month later...

My power saving tips:

Been out for a cruise and fancy a cuppa or going to cook?

Fill the kettle/pan from the hot tap, its half boiling already (assuming you have a engine heated calorifier) and saves lots of gas.

Laptop/Phone?

Just turn the screen brightness down, it can double the life of the battery. Turning off Wi-Fi/Bluetooth helps to if your not using them.

Solar panels?

1: Fit an MPPT controller.

2: Wire the panels in series, upto the max voltage that your controller will take.

They will start charging the batteries much earlier in the morning and go on charging later in the evening.

Wiring from controller to panels can be thinner too.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

No it doesn't.

Stealing waste wood from skips costs the owner of the waste wood nothing. It may even save him some money, as he won't need to have the skip emptied as often and/or her can get more of his rubbish into the skip.

If you charge a battery pack up at work, your employer is paying for the electricity.

Doubtless we can claim that it is a tiny amount of electricity, but what if every employee decided to charge upm a battery pack every day?

See 'Abstraction of electricity'

This offence is created by section 13 of the Theft Act 1968: A person who dishonestly uses without due authority, or dishonestly causes to be wasted or diverted, any electricity shall on conviction on indictment be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

Thus, an offence for which there is a power of arrest....

Not sermonising, but next time you are tempted to plug in somewhere and 'borrow' some electricity...Section 13 was implemented because unlike property which could be produced in court as evidence of an offence, once the 'tizzy has gone, it's, er, gorn!

'Stealing' from skips

"Stealing waste wood from skips costs the owner of the waste wood nothing. It may even save him some money, as he won't need to have the skip emptied as often and/or her can get more of his rubbish into the skip."

The Theft Act 1968 states

A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

The wood in a skip belongs to the skip company. They agree to hire a skip for a period of time to a user, and agree to empty it, either on demand, or regularly when it is full. The proprietors use their business acumen to gauge how much they will charge, often based on how often the skips want emptying, i.e. they don't empty an empty skip!

To stretch a long point, the hirer is acting in contravention of the contract between himself and the company if he gives you permission, and could in extremis be considered to defrauding the company if he turns a blind eye if you empty it.

If you managed to make some agreement with, say, 'Grumbletown Skips West MIdlands' you then have to look at the minefield of trespass, whether the skip user was acting in contravention of H & S regulations by permitting persons not trained in HW [Hazardous Waste] handling to potentially do so on their site without reflctive jacket, hard had, toe 'tectors and a note from your Mum to say you are excused from carrying a clean handkerchief...

Oh, that feels better!

Seriously, would you take scrap copper from a skip outside a demolition site?

Doug [Advocatus Diaboli]

Doug

Edited by Chubberdog

We are always chiding newbies for not doing a forum search before posting. When they follow this guidance are we to chide them for adding to an older topic? If so, how old must a topic be before it is considered moribund?

I have to agree. We are into a "damned if we do-damned if we don't" scenario.

Edited by Guest

I can't believe another Zombie thread has been dragged up from 6 years ago, why not start a new thread? it would be better.

Phil

Actually it was started some years ago, but has been updated many times since. It contains some useful info which has been added to over the years, why not use it?

These people are trying to abide by the rules and deserve our respect. They may even have read hundreds of posts before contributing. Searching forums is not easy!

When I want to search this forum I use Google and type site:canalworld.net "exactly what I am searching for" as I know how to search for specific phrases, words near each other; and how to exclude words from a search. If anyone wants some helpful examples, please PM me.

• Greenie 1

Zombie Threads? An old wolf-cry,surely? A thread entitled 'I hit my thumb with a hammer' first posted in 1999 is just as topical and relevant to the man/woman who hits their thumb with a hammer in 2016....

Consider, the phrase is rarely used by those who agree wholeheartedly with the 'newbie' poster....or is it verboten to add to a thread 'I love pink narrow boats' if you do?

Doug

Zombie Threads? An old wolf-cry,surely? A thread entitled 'I hit my thumb with a hammer' first posted in 1999 is just as topical and relevant to the man/woman who hits their thumb with a hammer in 2016....

Consider, the phrase is rarely used by those who agree wholeheartedly with the 'newbie' poster....or is it verboten to add to a thread 'I love pink narrow boats' if you do?

Doug

The last paragraph makes no sense st all.

Phil

I can't believe another Zombie thread has been dragged up from 6 years ago, why not start a new thread? it would be better.

Phil

....then it makes no sense for you post a reply here instead of starting a new post,does it?

The post prior to mine was posted in April this year, your last post in the thread was in July 2015, and this 'newbie' would have gained no brownie points by opening a new thread, appropos to nothing in particular to say "Oi! You narrer' boaters out there wot's taking wood from skips is thieving, an' here's why....."

This is a great thread on power useage guys. Keep all the ideas coming.I will need all the help I can get. Anyone got experience with sine wave inverters. What are they ?Also 240v generators.

Can't help with the inverter question, Terry, but you can save power using a wide neck thermos flask to make your breakfast porridge. For two people, a cup of porridge oats, pinch of salt, a dessert spoon of dried milk powder and three cups of boiling water left overnight will need hardly any reheating in the morning.

It's our early morning start standby.

Doug

Edited by Chubberdog

Can't help with the inverter question, Terry, but you can save power using a wide neck thermos flask to make your breakfast porridge. For two people, a cup of porridge oats, pinch of salt, a dessert spoon of dried milk powder and three cups of boiling water left overnight will need hardly any reheating in the morning.

It's our early morning start standby.

Doug

For heavens sake man, you are replying to a post over 2 years old, get a grip.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

For heavens sake man, you are replying to a post over 2 years old, get a grip.

Phil

I think Chubberdog's post was a little joke (considering his previous), with some helpful info thrown in.

Edited to say: has somebody cleaned up those dodgy contacts? The thread seems to be running fine now.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet
  • Greenie 1

I think Chubberdog's post was a little joke (considering his previous), with some helpful info thrown in.

Edited to say: has somebody cleaned up those dodgy contacts? The thread seems to be running fine now.

As a joke to was way off the mark, I've laughed more at the dentist.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

As a joke to was way off the mark, I've laughed more at the dentist.

Phil

If you had met my (now retired) dentist, you could say that with all sincerity. Very funny guy from St helens. Dentist appointments will never be the same.