Liverpool Link, facilities and lack of elsan.

john4647

Featured Posts

We are booked to do the Link next week but the paperwork, just received, says that there are no Elsan cassette facilities past Wigan. With the exception of the Merseyside Motorboat Club at Lydiate and this only by prior arrangement.

With the enforced overnight stay in Eldonian village (both ways), this means 6 days without facilities even if we don't stay in Liverpool.

Quite how BW or Liverpool City Council expect anyone to stay for a few days in Salthouse dock escapes me.

I thought the idea was encourage more boats to visit (and spend)

Elsan water ect burscough ,same at litherland moorings ,shower toilet ect eldonian basin .

your research should take longer than five seconds.

you are criticising the council before you have the facts , before you have even visited and before you have even learnt that the link and the salthouse dock are not even council run or owned.

Elsan water ect burscough ,same at litherland moorings ,shower toilet ect eldonian basin .

I thought he said his information came from the paperwork sent out by BW? If so, he ought to be able to rely on it for accuracy. If BW is sending out incorrect information then that would be worrying.

My copy of Nicholsons agrees with you that there are sewage/Elsan facilities at Litherland and indicates that there is a "combined sanitary station" at Burscough Bridge. Does a "combined sanitary station" include Elsan emptying? I have never investigated.

Litherland is just 4 miles from Eldonian Village, John.

my info pack "skippers guide" 6.3 clearly states bw litherland office ,boaters should use these PUMP OUT AND ELSAN facilities plus get rid of rubbish ,it also suggests that water tanks be filled as time may not be available at eldonian.

burscough bridge has toilet and elsan facility for sure and now has added facility for refuse disposal , despite signs to say otherwise some do self pumpout and block the elsan.

a few weeks ago at litherland the bw men opened up a manhole for elsan disposal .

you are criticising the council before you have the facts , before you have even visited and before you have even learnt that the link and the salthouse dock are not even council run or owned.

Thank you for your helpful comments.

I have the Skippers Guide (2009) which says there are facilities at Litherland.

However according to the paperwork received from BW last week the situation is as I stated in the opening post.

That is, Litherland -No elsan facilites, Eldonian - No elsan facilities, Salthouse - No elsan facilities.

"Bridge 17, by prior arrangement with Mersey Motorboat Club, Elsan facilities are available.

I am basing my 'research' on direct information from BW received last week rather than hearsay on the forum.

(Edited cos I carnt spell)

Edited by john4647

ssshhhh ,bw may think they shut them down along with the shower ect at the top of the rufford branch or maybe that now plans are afoot to develop the burscough bw property into bistro /wine bar /pub they are going to shut them very soon.

they are advertising mooring space at burscough and the presence of facilities seems to be a selling point , so would bw mislead prospective mooring purchasers into believing they will be there for 3 years.

I wonder why it doesn't mention the facilities at Burscough Bridge either?

This might bebecause they are on Rufford Branch and when I was there earlier this year were closed and had been for a long time and must say looked like it was going to be a long time until they were reopened if ever. Water point there still works plus the one on L & L after bridge for Rufford Branch.

I wonder why it doesn't mention the facilities at Burscough Bridge either?
This might be because they are on Rufford Branch and when I was there earlier this year were closed and had been for a long time

No, it is not the facilities at the top of the Rufford Branch that I am talking about but the ones three quarters of a mile westwards at Burscough Bridge (by bridge 32a).

ll518a.jpg

There is definately elsan facilities at Litherland.....used them last week.

It's one of those outside jobbies round the back of the brick toilet block.

The rubbish bin was the first we've come across that wasn't overflowing and was empted in the three days between our visit.

Overnighted there on the way back. Very quiet after the builders went home.

There are showers at Albert Dock, within the public toilets, didn't use them though. At bit of a walk from the boats.

Problem solved.

Nice lady from BW just telephoned to say that they had sent out some 'old' paperwork.

The latest version is the same as previously posted by Gaggle.

Litherland Elsan facilities are available.

Still nothing at Salthouse though.

Problem solved.

Nice lady from BW just telephoned to say that they had sent out some 'old' paperwork.

The latest version is the same as previously posted by Gaggle.

Litherland Elsan facilities are available.

Still nothing at Salthouse though.

Methinks BW have more than two copies of this document. I received mine on Friday and it clearly states that there are Elsan facilities at Litherland AND Eldonian village.

It would be helpful if someone (who has been there) could be definitive about this issue as even BW's paperwork is contradictory.

Methinks BW have more than two copies of this document. I received mine on Friday and it clearly states that there are Elsan facilities at Litherland AND Eldonian village.

It would be helpful if someone (who has been there) could be definitive about this issue as even BW's paperwork is contradictory.

See my post above.

Litherland elsan Ok

Didn't look at Eldonian,as we hadn't filled it again during the afternoon, but if there is an elsan dump, it's not obvious

See my post above.

Litherland elsan Ok

Didn't look at Eldonian,as we hadn't filled it again during the afternoon, but if there is an elsan dump, it's not obvious

Anyone encountered vandalism problems with the link?

We spoke to a BW guy at the top lock on the Rufford branch last week and he claimed the link to be

a success in terms of lack of yobs etc., His other comment was a suggestion that a certain 'Motor Club' situated en route, were spreading malicious rumours in order to discourage boaters from making the trip.

Could be something to do with the fact that up until now, they've enjoyed comparitive monopolisation of that stretch for years :lol:

We've spoken to a number of boaters from far and wide who've had nothing but praise for the route into Liverpool, only one had his wheels pinched :lol:

As a narrowboater who is a born and raised scouser,Liverpool council and BW are very remiss for not between then sorting out facilities

Last Thursday there were 6 boats moored up, On Saturday there was only 1 boat in Salthouse when I was down there,

This is surely to do with the forced Eldonian stop over,(no hire boat will waste 2 nights) and secondly the lack of Elsan at Salthouse

Anyone encountered vandalism problems with the link?

We spoke to a BW guy at the top lock on the Rufford branch last week and he claimed the link to be

a success in terms of lack of yobs etc., His other comment was a suggestion that a certain 'Motor Club' situated en route, were spreading malicious rumours in order to discourage boaters from making the trip.

Could be something to do with the fact that up until now, they've enjoyed comparitive monopolisation of that stretch for years :lol:

We've spoken to a number of boaters from far and wide who've had nothing but praise for the route into Liverpool, only one had his wheels pinched :lol:

We had no problems, the locals we spoke to were friendly. The only problem we had was getting temporary moorings at a local boat club, they initially said it would be Ok but then didn't call back or reply to emails.

We had hoped to leave the boat under the AWCC scheme for a couple of weeks.

This is surely to do with the forced Eldonian stop over,(no hire boat will waste 2 nights) and secondly the lack of Elsan at Salthouse

The above are the only down sides, Other than polly bags round the prop, but then the water is clear and you can see what's round and remove without tilting the outboard, probable not a problem for you inboard types

Edited by Albatross

litherland does HAVE WATER ,TOILET , RUBBISH DISPOSAL AND A PLACE TO EMPTY ELSAN "lightwieght cover on manhole behind toilet block".

eldonian village does HAVE TOILET , SHOWER AND I HAVE SEEN OTHERS USE HOSEPIPE TO GET WATER BUT I DONT KNOW TO WHERE THEY CONNECT TO.

salthouse moorings last time i was there was having the mains water supply put under the road and out to the pontoons close to the entrance stairway but i can not say that it is yet online suppling direct to pontoons , for water you take a little trip with your boat into the albert dock and if you moor on the pontoon near to the tate gallery you will find the tap , at the far end of this pontoon is access up to the quay side and very close to here are the public toilets which are clean as a whistle and albertross has said a shower can be had .

last time i moored in salthouse i was told a rubbish collection would be made daily from the top of the pontoon access stairs , ask the bw man who visits your mooring or others who are already there if this is still the case.

So what's the score with the Liverpool link? How long can you stay in Liverpool city centre and can you moor for long in the Albert Dock?

The max stay is two weeks I think, but there is a marina further up the south docks.

The boat that came round in the morning collecting rubbish from the water took our bin bag away. Thanks Lads.