Thos Clayton's Umea

dave moore

Featured Posts

Hi all

Last nught I was chatting to another painter, Martin "Bunny" Bunford who was active in the 60s/70s decorating and writing boats. ( we hadn't spoken since the 60s) Bunny owned Gifford when Claytons ceased carrying in '66 and before she was owned by the late Edward Paget Tomlinson.

During the course of the conversation he asked about the Clayton motor Umea. I'm sure I've seen it, but can't recall where or when. I'm sure someone will be able to put some flesh on this historic bone.

Thanks in advance

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...

I know it's an old post but how many owners did umea have when leaving claytons?

Reason I ask is I have some of her parts, and believe them to be original or at least from claytons days rather than repaired / replaced parts.

I'm currently in the process of restoration of her lamp. Reason for the above is I'm trying to work out if the lamp I have is her original, I've a few pics of it when on the boat for some reason umea seamed to be the only one that had her lamp on the engine room, I've seen a few pics of it in this place and by the looks it looks like its the same lamp,

They seam to be quite rare pics of claytons with there lamps fitted,

Anyone got any good pics of her lamp from when she worked?

As above interested to know how many owners she has a I know she was converted very quickly after selling from claytons, anyone got any bow pics after she was first converted?

Second pic is not mine hope its OK being used. You can just about make out the lines in the lamp glass and the back of the lamp has the right sort of shape to the one that I bought, it had been modded at some point with a modern lamp inside when I got it this has now been removed and a replacement reflector and bulb as originally fitted to the one I have. Given the type of lamp it is it dates from 1930-1940 as this is the time these style of lamps was produced

20210412_123702.jpg

584730485_JimmyMooreonUmea31-3-1966016.jpg.89467c74a7f85c99cde77d0fa9c4ee3f.jpg

The conversion was put on by John Henderson, who was the BWB Hillmorton section carpenter. I believe he bought her direct from TCO and sold her around 1975.

I have seen a picture of her with the conversion on moored below Hillmorton Bottom Lock, but I can't think where at the moment....

Just now, Rose Narrowboats said:

The conversion was put on by John Henderson, who was the BWB Hillmorton section carpenter. I believe he bought her direct from TCO and sold her around 1975.

I have seen a picture of her with the conversion on moored below Hillmorton Bottom Lock, but I can't think where at the moment....

I have seen one from a long view side on but a bit towards the back?

I know it's spay but it also had a very similar lamp.

As with alot of stuff history and info get lost with time and give were now nearly 60 years on from the last tco working days and some 70 years+ from.when pics were taken and the people on the boats and taking the pics are long gone. So trying to peace all the history back together document it and then restore it to as close as can to used dates is very hard.

5268332899_15e2f5da48_b.jpg

Yes have s copy of that one.

It's a shame I didn't know she was being broken up rather than just taken apart for was told a rebuild, otherwise I would have tried to save more, but I got a few bits to put back on towy, but now trying to peice the bits I have to there dates and if there original or not. I'm also in the dilemma of do I leave on made from scratch but copies of what was fitted to towy or do I fit the bits from umea knowing they were on there when she was working from claytons (if not original)

I only remember seeing UMEA above Cowley lock on the towpath side.

But that lamp - a 'Fog Master' by Notek. TYCHO had one just like it (hope it still has). Slightly oval in shape?

317044350_083PICT0118(Medium).JPG.54d731fe08aa37e8b74aecd4f9b5b07e.JPG

1327585044_FogMaster002(Small).JPG.3b550d6be1cad3790985c4029540060a.JPG

1058618493_FogMaster005(Small).JPG.24cea80cefb9aa4af098bd31aecf870d.JPG

Nice broad flat beam.

• Greenie 1

Yep that's the ones, I've now stripped down the paint on umea and it was black before the blue, it's a novtek drive master, so more convinced than was that it's more than likely the one she used in claytons

All paint removed reveals the old chrome and in odd places the black that was on before, the front ring is still black.

Removed the old mount, cleaned the holder nut and bolts.

Just got to paint and clean front ring, rewire the bulb holder and she's back to how it was in claytons.

I see you've got your laces tied up OK.

'Drivemaster', must be the soul mate of 'Fogmaster'. Probably fitted to most lorries in the day.

I found an engineroom mounted light good in tunnels. You can see the boat in relationship to the tunnel walls better.

9 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

I see you've got your laces tied up OK.

'Drivemaster', must be the soul mate of 'Fogmaster'. Probably fitted to most lorries in the day.

I found an engineroom mounted light good in tunnels. You can see the boat in relationship to the tunnel walls better.

Seamed to be 2 fog or drive - master.

Yer I needed help with the laces!