'Hero' Pc hailed for canal rescue

Robbo

Featured Posts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/8200636.stm

A police officer has been hailed a "hero" after swimming across a canal lock to rescue a 10-year-old boy who had fallen into the water.

Jason Freeman fell about 20ft (6m) into Hirst Lock in Shipley, West Yorkshire, and was trapped between the lock gates.

Pc Marcus Edwards swam to the boy and pulled him to safety.

Jason's mother Sandra described Pc Edwards as a "hero". The officer has urged young people to stay away from open waters.

West Yorkshire Police said Jason's body temperature had "fallen considerably" while he was in the water and Pc Edwards may have saved his life.

'Very scared'

The officer said: "When we got there the lock was fully down and this boy was clinging on for dear life after trying to walk across the lock gate and falling in.

"I could see he was freezing and wasn't going to last long so there was no thought at all really. I knew I just had to get in there, get on with it and get him out."

Pc Edwards said he wanted to stress to children and parents just how dangerous open water was.

He said: "In this case there was a happy ending but this is a really good example of the dangers young people can face near open water."

Jason was reunited with the officer so he could thank him for last Thursday's rescue.

The schoolboy said: "I was very scared when it happened as I just lost my balance, slipped backwards and fell in.

"I just want to thank Marcus for getting me."

His mother Sandra said her son would not be playing near the canal again.

She said: "What Marcus did was just marvellous for going in like that and I hope he's nominated for an award for what he's done. He is a hero."

The only thing i find odd, is that the child or brother could not manage to make use of the ladder thenselfves?

- I know not all can or have had the experice of leanring it swim, but pumped with adrenalin, i would ahve thought most could splash there way half the lenght of a lock?

Daniel

The only thing i find odd, is that the child or brother could not manage to make use of the ladder thenselfves?

- I know not all can or have had the experice of leanring it swim, but pumped with adrenalin, i would ahve thought most could splash there way half the lenght of a lock?

Daniel

And that I am sorry to say, is how one casualty becomes two.