Gloves

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

Gloves were mentioned on another thread. So who wears them in the summer - and which ones are good? I was going to get some gardening/work wear types for our trip next week, so any recomendations? Usually I don't bother and get slightly sore mitts! :lol:

thin leather probably best (seen these in garden centres) but cotton work gloves would be ok or just put up with the wear and tear on the old pinkies, hope this helps.

Regards, Guzziman

I almost never wear gloves.

I know it's the sign of a poor boater, but I have a habit of getting ropes wet, which usually then means wet gloves.

Also if I have to climb lock ladders, I feel more secure "un-gloved".

Finally I like to let paddles down with a controlled drop, braked by my hands - not easy to control with gloves.

I almost never wear gloves.

I know it's the sign of a poor boater, but I have a habit of getting ropes wet, which usually then means wet gloves.

Also if I have to climb lock ladders, I feel more secure "un-gloved".

Finally I like to let paddles down with a controlled drop, braked by my hands - not easy to control with gloves.

And I hope and trust that you use proper windlasses that don't have rollers?............

Gloves were mentioned on another thread. So who wears them in the summer - and which ones are good? I was going to get some gardening/work wear types for our trip next week, so any recomendations? Usually I don't bother and get slightly sore mitts! :lol:

I have had two minor but painful and inconvenient injuries as a result of gloves getting snagged or slipping while operating paddle gear.

These days I don't wear them . . .

After getting the light cotton ones snagged, I found that a pair of cycle gloves worked, slippery on the palms, material that dries quickly on top and the ends of your fingers free for those delicate jobs.

After getting the light cotton ones snagged, I found that a pair of cycle gloves worked, slippery on the palms, material that dries quickly on top and the ends of your fingers free for those delicate jobs.

I wear cycling mitts as well and I find them good for protecting the palms of my hands and the fingers where my rings are.

haggis

Edited by haggis

And I hope and trust that you use proper windlasses that don't have rollers?............

Personally I intensley dislike windlasses with roller handles.

So must lots of other people, as unfortunately these are the only type we ever seem to pick up discarded at locks, never anything that is a pleasure to use !

OH swears by lightweight cotton gardening gloves that have rubberised palms and fingers, primarily for handling ropes; they're dry to quick and are very cheap.

I use a "roller" windlass, it seems to be the official design for the Gt Ouse anyway, but I also use one out of preference on the canals too.

I don't wear gloves in the summer (Whats that!) but as I do a lot of winter boating it is nice to have a good pair of waterproof gloves. Ski gloves are can be very waterproof but using them to work locks is a nightmare due to the non-slip coating on the palm when using a windlass without a rotating handle!

Tim

We bought a couple of pairs of fingerless sailing gloves. They have padded areas where needed to stop the ropes rubbing through. Have not worn them much this summer but used them a lot last winter when the ropes where wet.

When it's wet, my sealskinz waterproof / breathable gloves are a godsend! Grippy enough to...er...grip things when necessary, and nice and warm (but not sweaty). Not cheap, but worth every penny when I was boating in the tipping rain a couple of weeks ago.

B