simple food. simple cooker

bramley

Featured Posts

hey hey...

We are away in weeks time in our Cruiser for a week, 2 grown ups 1 child.

And i started to think about a shoping list, the cruiser has a 2 gas hob and a grill and oven, but how good they are?? nobody knows.

What does one suggest to take away for a week, we are after simple foods, and have a 35 litre fridge..

what would you take? i can live on sandwiches for a week but what abotu warm meals, whats easy...

i know this is a daft post but it would be most helpfull

cheers

Ross

hey hey...

We are away in weeks time in our Cruiser for a week, 2 grown ups 1 child.

And i started to think about a shoping list, the cruiser has a 2 gas hob and a grill and oven, but how good they are?? nobody knows.

What does one suggest to take away for a week, we are after simple foods, and have a 35 litre fridge..

what would you take? i can live on sandwiches for a week but what abotu warm meals, whats easy...

i know this is a daft post but it would be most helpfull

cheers

Ross

To be honest Ross, I do think it is a daft post ;-))

You can cook anything you can at home with your cooker - is it a Flavel? I still use one now.

Boaters and caravanners have been using them for donkey's years (and still do). Until recently they were

standard kit on most boats.

As Carl suggested, why not enjoy a few pub meals?

Full English breakfast will be great and easy to do on your cooker - and you will have the pleasure of seeing envious looks

down the towpath as the aroma drifts down the canal.

Soup and toast is always a good idea to fill a gap till you get to the pub .........................

Use the fridge for soft drinks, ice and beer ..............;-))

To be honest Ross, I do think it is a daft post ;-))

You can cook anything you can at home with your cooker - is it a Flavel? I still use one now.

Boaters and caravanners have been using them for donkey's years (and still do). Until recently they were

standard kit on most boats.

As Carl suggested, why not enjoy a few pub meals?

Full English breakfast will be great and easy to do on your cooker - and you will have the pleasure of seeing envious looks

down the towpath as the aroma drifts down the canal.

Soup and toast is always a good idea to fill a gap till you get to the pub .........................

Use the fridge for soft drinks, ice and beer ..............;-))

haha it is a daft post. and i do think we will be enjoying a few pub meals hence the question.

i dont want to over stock, but then certainly on a boat i dont want to be making a huge mess with a 5 course meal.

im sure we will cope just wondered if anybody had any bright ideas lol

Tesco sell rice (flavoured and plain) and dinners (Chilli, hotpot and something else) in plastic packets intended to be ready to microwave - for busy executives I guess. These packets, left unopened, can be heated in boiling water for 15 minutes and, if eaten from the packet make no more mess than a dirty spoon. Easy enough?

On a similar line, army rations come in a 'one man, one day' box and are intended to be heated in their packets. They will include hot breakfast, dinner and dessert, lunch snacks, biscuits, chocolate. I was recently able to buy some 'from some a bloke in a pub' :lol: for £2.50/box.

Both solutions are pasteurised and will last ages.

My preference is pub meals and with a little prior planning it is easy enough to end each day fairly close to a pub - the packed meals come along as a 'just in case' solution to a hot, filling meal.

Chris

Tinned Soups are always a good bet. You can buy a variety of them, usually less than 1 GBP per serving. I find one of those can fill me up quite nicely.

Not to mention that if you have enough of them on board they can be used as extra ballast! :lol:

An onion, tin of tomatoes, a courgette, and a smoked sausage, chopped up together, served with pasta. No refrigeration needed. Take various spices, pepper, ground chilli to ring the changes. Use tinned mackerel instead of sausage, or just have a veggie version.

Keep the milk, bread and butter in the fridge.

Forget ready meals - they're full of chemicals and other stuff your digestive system hasn't yet evolved to deal with.

Edited by Machpoint005

This isn't much help because I just love cooking on a boat.

I would do it full time given the chance. I do my share of locking/driving but it's just brilliant to sit and peel the spuds or knead some bread dough or make some mayonaise up the pointy end. I feel really disappointed when it's a Pub meal night out. I sit and look at the menu thinking I could cook this for a quarter the price.

What do I take?

My best knife and a big saucepan. Plenty of onions, milk powder to save on fresh milk for cooking, flour, big pot of basil & parsley - a bit of green always looks nice. Veg. oil for mayo. Olive oil, yeast, stock cubes, lemons...I write down what I plan for meals then list the ingredients.

How we work it is that I mail out the list to everyone and they let me know what they will be bringing. Things that we use a lot of - like bacon, eggs, coffee tea etc. - everyone brings what they will each use. Works out well.

If it's about now time, I try to use what I can from the hedges - blackberries, damsons, apples for crumbles and tarts.

Chicken fillets + onions + peppers + mushrooms + 2 teaspoons of "lazy Garlic" [brilliant innovation] + Worcester sauce + Hot Pepper sauce + Madras Paste + sultanas (I'm a heathen and I don't care, plus they count as part of your 5-a-day) + chopped tomatoes + jar of Balti sauce (Cheating? Who cares?) + rice =

CURRY

Seving instructions: best served with BEER.

we never ate out once while we were away but still enjoyed bacon and all the trimmings, steak and chips, burgers and we generally take a disposable bbq with us too. I've always found the "typical" cooker you get on a hire boat more than adequate. Last year there were five of us and we had a couple of nice casseroles that were prepared after a light lunch left on a very low temp and left to cook away to themselves. I would say it depends on how much time you want to spend cooking really as to what you can cook. As to taking the food with you if you can free2e some meat or whatever beforehand and then chuck it in a cool bag for the journey that'll save you money. Just make sure that you have at least one nice meal out ................and do try some of the local butchers you come across some of them make the most fantastic sausages/burgers.

Hello,

Someone has asked a similar question here. She's living in a camper van, may give some ideas.

Have you thought about slow cooking? This could be easily done using a coolbox. Just heat your one-pot stew to boiling point, then place in a coolbox (with a bit of wood underneath to prevent the pan melting the box) and leave to cook for a couple of hours. Here some recipes

thanks for the replys,

i think im just being daft, but i do think that with reduced space and smaller pans etc cooking could be a bit of a pain in the BackSide... but there are some ideas out there which we will try