Cotswold Canals - good news

PaulG

Featured Posts

From a statement from Dave Marshall, Public Relations Officer for Stroud District Council:

"A small but significant step in the restoration of the Cotswold Canals between Stonehouse and Brimscombe was taken last week.

The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF), Stroud District Council and the Stroud Valleys Canals Company have now signed the official Funding Agreement. This confirms that the full HLF grant of £11.9m is available to the project. As lead partner, the council can now move forward with the project. Work is expected to begin in October with construction of a new bridge over the canal at Upper Mills, Stonehouse and dredging between Stonehouse Ocean and Haywards Bridge."

Well done Magpie Patrick!

From a statement from Dave Marshall, Public Relations Officer for Stroud District Council:

"A small but significant step in the restoration of the Cotswold Canals between Stonehouse and Brimscombe was taken last week.

The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF), Stroud District Council and the Stroud Valleys Canals Company have now signed the official Funding Agreement. This confirms that the full HLF grant of £11.9m is available to the project. As lead partner, the council can now move forward with the project. Work is expected to begin in October with construction of a new bridge over the canal at Upper Mills, Stonehouse and dredging between Stonehouse Ocean and Haywards Bridge."

Great news!! Well done to all those involved with this important project.

Stewey

Excellent news, well done to all concerned.

"Stonehouse Ocean"? Shurely shome mishtake here?

I live about 100 yards fro here, so should probably explain.

'The Ocean' is quite a well known spot locally, the canal widens our considerably and is currently (before dredging!) covered in water lillies - I'm told that many years ago there was boat building activity there - it is adjacent to the railway where the canal has been culverted and hence is not being dealt with it this particulat stage of the restoration.

This link will explain more

http://www.stroudwater.co.uk/cpsn/section%202c.html

I live about 100 yards fro here, so should probably explain.

'The Ocean' is quite a well known spot locally, the canal widens our considerably and is currently (before dredging!) covered in water lillies - I'm told that many years ago there was boat building activity there - it is adjacent to the railway where the canal has been culverted and hence is not being dealt with it this particulat stage of the restoration.

This link will explain more

http://www.stroudwater.co.uk/cpsn/section%202c.html

Gotcha! Well, sod my old boots, I'd never heard of that before. Thanks for explaining.

Magpie Patrick takes a (rather blushing and possibly undeserved) bow :lol: :lol:

Until now, all i'd felt was relief that, after 13 months of striving, the flipping thing had been signed (where's the hurrah emoticon)

Now I can feel a little bit of elation as well, thanks guys. :lol: :lol:

There were others involved you know...

About flippin time!! That contract has been 'days' away from being signed for, ermmmm, three years now? What sized stick did you finally wave at them this time Patrick?

Now, on with the digging ....

About flippin time!! That contract has been 'days' away from being signed for, ermmmm, three years now? What sized stick did you finally wave at them this time Patrick?

Now, on with the digging ....

Ah, Nicki, there in hangs a tale. BW did sign the contract in 2007, and then walked away in Feb 2008 (it's one of those JFK moments for me. I was sitting in Val's parent's house, my mobile rang, twas BW pulling out, while I was outside the house taking the call the news was on national tele) so we had to start again with Stroud DC.

When I get the chance, a thread titled "The untold story" will appear

and have you ever seen me swing a 62 foot narrow boat round my head while giving out a war cry.... :lol:

• 2 years later...

More good news:

Lock gates lowered into place at canal near Stonehouse 5 October 2011 Click BBC for video.

For the first time in more than 100 years the lock gates at Ryeford Double Lock near Stonehouse are being replaced.

Engineers began lowering the six oak gates into place earlier. Each one weighs more than two tonnes. It is part of plans to restore nearly seven miles of the Thames and Severn Canal between Brimscombe and Stonehouse.

More good news:

Lock gates lowered into place at canal near Stonehouse 5 October 2011 Click BBC for video.

For the first time in more than 100 years the lock gates at Ryeford Double Lock near Stonehouse are being replaced.

Engineers began lowering the six oak gates into place earlier. Each one weighs more than two tonnes. It is part of plans to restore nearly seven miles of the Thames and Severn Canal between Brimscombe and Stonehouse.

I spent more time than anything on, in and around the Double Lock when I was younger and to be honest I'm gutted that I wasn't down there to see the gates lifted in. All good progress though :)

My first memory of the locks...

1221342646_9e49c56568.jpg

Ryeford Double Lock - Stroudwater Canal by imulford, on Flickr

Edited to add: More pictures of the new gates in this Flickr group...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/stroudwater_navigation_and_the_thames_and_severn_canal/

Edited by IanM

Edited to add: More pictures of the new gates in this Flickr group...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/stroudwater_navigation_and_the_thames_and_severn_canal/

Wow, I had an invite to go, but could spare the time, but these pictures are great. Ryeford Double Looks cracking, and better, I may get to take Juno through it next spring :cheers:

Wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...

A few bits of news from the Cotswold Canals Partnership Twitter feed...

"Access issues at Frome Gardens in Stroud are now sorted. Work on the flood gates and confluence will start next week!"

"Work is now underway at Stonehouse Ocean to install a new hand-operated swing bridge. Weather permitting, we should finish at the end of Feb"

• 2 months later...

For anyone interested in progress with this project, may I direct you to

Cotswold Canals in Pictures

an excellent site run by Nick Bird which shows not only the Lottery funded activities of Phase 1A, but also the remarkable progress being made elsewhere on the canals by volunteer groups such as the WRG and CCT.

Nick's site includes pictures of most of the main structures on the canals and an indication of their current condition.

N.B. I have no connection at all with Nick or his site. I am merely an admirer of his work!

an excellent site run by Nick Bird which shows not only the Lottery funded activities of Phase 1A, but also the remarkable progress being made elsewhere on the canals by volunteer groups such as the WRG and CCT.

Nick's site includes pictures of most of the main structures on the canals and an indication of their current condition.

N.B. I have no connection at all with Nick or his site. I am merely an admirer of his work!

Magpie Patrick sits in a corner, sobs, and quietly asks if there is any more whisky

I was a happy and successful man before this, you know... he mumbles into the proffered double

One problem I have with that site is that he very rarely updates it and when he does, removes any previous pictures.

When I emailed him to see if was interested in using any of my pictures to fill in the gaps, he wasn't one bit interested.