Rain rain go away !

Featured Posts

Its raining ... again ... and on the telly the met office have been sheepish about their failed predictions for a summer of barbeque weather .... none of which helps me get paint on the outside of the boat. I merely have to emerge through the back doors with brush in hand and the heavens open ... grrrrr !

I had planned to gradually paint the boat out in the open this summer (nothing fancy) but now they're saying August will be a washout too ... so any ideas on how to prep, prime and paint between the deluges would be very welcome .... anyone fancy volunteering to hold a brolly in 6 hour shifts ????

Ah well .. rant over ... shame the rain is still pinging off the roof :lol:

Might sound daft, but would a gazzebo be any help? Say a 10' square one then you can tie it to the off side of the boat and give you a couple of feet of cover on the near side.

They fold away to basically nothing and could be handy when all this global warming brings about desert conditions!!

Might sound daft, but would a gazzebo be any help? Say a 10' square one then you can tie it to the off side of the boat and give you a couple of feet of cover on the near side.

They fold away to basically nothing and could be handy when all this global warming brings about desert conditions!!

Actually, I was wondering the same thing. You can get the cheapo ones for about £40 and they're 3 metres square, so with two feet on the offside gunnel and two feet on the towpath you'd cover 10 ft of boat length and have 3 or 4 ft cover on the towpath side.

T :lol:

:lol:

Good idea but sadly there's none suitable nearby on the bit of river I'm on ... a nice big motorway bridge would be lovely ... (wistful sigh)

Got a few nice bridges here you could borrow, i'll post one over! :lol:

Thought you said you would try the gazeebo idea? You know you need something in the blooming country!

Good luck tho,

Bon

Screwfix (and probably others) do large plastic sheet, often at silly money.

They have eyelets all around the edge. Lay sheet on boat roof and secure on far side (possibly to hand rail). Get two/three of those extending paint roller poles. Stick a spiggot in the open end of poles and put sheet's towpath side eyelets over spigots. Tie towpath side of sheet to mooring stakes. You could probably do this with a couple of sheets which you overlap and even join with Gaffa tape. Try and prop the centre of the sheet so that the rain runs down to the side of the boat or towpath, rather than collect on sheet and suddenly drop a deluge on you.

Just a thought

Got a few nice bridges here you could borrow, i'll post one over! :lol:

Thought you said you would try the gazeebo idea?

oooh yes please ... How much would the postage be for a large bridge ?

Yes, the gazebo idea was on my list too .... but its not proved particularly waterproof, it'll keep off light showers, but the heavy persistant stuff just kind of powers through the fabric as a fine mist

They have eyelets all around the edge. Lay sheet on boat roof and secure on far side (possibly to hand rail). Get two/three of those extending paint roller poles. Stick a spiggot in the open end of poles and put sheet's towpath side eyelets over spigots. Tie towpath side of sheet to mooring stakes. You could probably do this with a couple of sheets which you overlap and even join with Gaffa tape. Try and prop the centre of the sheet so that the rain runs down to the side of the boat or towpath, rather than collect on sheet and suddenly drop a deluge on you.

.... I've thought about getting a plastic sheet to cover the gazebo but its all starting to get a bit unwieldy in the strong gusts. I'll just have to re-group and keep on plugging away, still at least my abortive efforts are keeping the neighbours entertained :lol:

Its raining ... again ... and on the telly the met office have been sheepish about their failed predictions for a summer of barbeque weather .... none of which helps me get paint on the outside of the boat. I merely have to emerge through the back doors with brush in hand and the heavens open ... grrrrr !

We have been trying to machine polish Cal for four weeks now. (Sun cream doesnt come off with baot wash :lol: ). Have managed to do down one side and the front. Still not done the starboard side. We just have to remember to moor her shiney side on when we go to the pub :lol:

We have been trying to machine polish Cal for four weeks now. (Sun cream doesnt come off with baot wash :lol: ). Have managed to do down one side and the front. Still not done the starboard side. We just have to remember to moor her shiney side on when we go to the pub :lol:

I'm on a finger mooring ... hmm, for appearances sake, maybe i could get away with just painting her bum ? :lol:

I'm on a finger mooring ... hmm, for appearances sake, maybe i could get away with just painting her bum ? :lol:

Its worked for us so far. The only trouble is passing boats can see the uncleaned, unpolished and in places blocked down side. Still the unsuspecting public think she looks good :lol:

Just a thought

You could also try ground sheets - they aren't that expensive at all and should come with eyelets in them as well. We've always got one in the boot of the car as you never know when you'll need one and they take up no room at all.

Might sound daft, but would a gazzebo be any help? Say a 10' square one

Like this?

sleepyhollowbuild119.jpg

It doesn't work, the rain is turned into a fine mist by the gezebo, you still get wet you just don't realise until you're soaked...

You should try building a boat in this weather... welding's no fun. :lol:

I've just got in from fixing a water heater on a boat in Battlebridge Basin. I try to go on the bike if I know what the prob. is and can carry what I need on the bike. No parking probs or congestion charge to worry about. I was just coming down the Caledonian road to come back round to the Marylebone Road when the heavens opened. Nowhere to stop and shelter - I have had to strip completely ( Since getting home!) and change everything. It was so nice and sunny when I started out!!! :lol:

I have had to strip completely ( Since getting home!) and change everything.

If you'd stripped before getting home as soon as the rain started you wouldn't have had to change anything... lesson for next time :lol:

I know how you feel, I have tried to paint my boat for the last two years, and I work full time, even when it has been nice, not often, its during the week. Come the weekend, rain.

I did manage to get most of it done then, I wanted to paint the gunnels and the roof a different colour. I did this in between rain showers, and now wish I hadn't as its starting to come off already :lol:

Dont be tempted to try and paint when its damp, ever so frustrating though it is when you make plans, get the kit, get up early and set up, start painting and the spots start to fall. Best thing is to pack up and come back when its dry, I wish I had.