NO cancer, NO chemo Just Cruisin' - yipee

TeeELL

Featured Posts

Thanks Phoenix.

Sun 27th Sep 2009

Evnin’ all,

tonight’s tale begins Friday evening! Now I’m not sure if I have mentioned the fact that our pump has been playing up – but it has – Friday night saw us playing ‘whack the pump’ as each of us had a shower. Saturday morning and the pump gave up the ghost – I was obliged to ‘hot wire’ it – bye passing the pressure switch, in order to have water for washing, filling the kettle etc. I telephoned Crick Marina and they had a pump in stock so at 10.00 Mo and I started cycling to Crick (about 8 miles away). Scampi rode in Mo’s cycle basket but very quickly indicated a preference to run. Bye chance I decided to call the Anglo-Welsh base at Trevor basin to see if they had a pump – indeed they did (same model as Crick) so we were able to reduce our journey from 16 miles round trip to 9. The dog ran most of the way there – not bad for a toy poodle of 8 years! With pump aboard and a coffee (not recommended - ‘bis ‘o cath’ -as the locals would say) we started our return journey – Scampi again choosing to run rather than ride (although he did opt for the easy ride for the last mile).

We returned at a little after 12.00 and decided to take the major items for washing at the launderette – having left them we went to find a café for lunch before looking around the town. Some of the back streets have some little gems of shops and it was some time before we got back to pick up our laundry – which had been ironed!! We called in at a local greengrocer for fruit and veg and the SPAR for bread and a few other essentials before returning, overburdened, to the boat.

I spent the next hour replacing the water pump. The failed unit was a Johnson WPS5 (second one that I’ve had) and the new one a Jabesco – imagine my surprise when I found that the quick release connections were the same for both units. The astonishing find saved my having to ease the flexible hose off the old and on to the new – my heartfelt congratulations to North American standardisation! We decided to have a relatively early night – after the entertainment of watching the dozen or so hire boats come into the moorings!! Forgot that, being Sat night, the local ducks have their cabaret – listening to ‘duck jokes’ is all well and good but it is a bit much when the bloomin’ duck laughs at its own jokes!!!

Sun 27th Sep 2009

06.00 and the alarm wakes us – the duck jokes have finished at last. We set off at 06.50 having had difficulties starting the engine – the fuel state is only a little below half a tank so things seem to be getting worse. As we exit the moorings the engine cuts out and takes several goes to get it running again. Our anticipation of a clear run to Trevor is realised, although there are several boats coming up, even at this early hour. As we pass a couple of boats moored, the engine quits again – taking even longer to restart – not good with no steerage and a current modifying ones course. Fortunately the engine restarted before we ended up in shallows. We arrived at Trevor just after half past eight. The Marina office should have been open but someone had failed to pick up the keys – the ‘day boats’ had to be released before we could upload fuel, in the end it was 09.45 before we moved off again (engine behaving perfectly now it is sucking ‘top half’ fuel) – part of the delay being waiting for a boat coming the ‘other way’ to cross the aqueduct. Our progress through the tunnels and Chirk aqueduct was delayed only briefly at the first tunnel – thereafter an increasing convoy cruised through the remainder.

At 13.00 we reached New Marton top lock and we had a short wait whilst a boat ascended the lock followed by the boat ahead descending, another coming up before our turn. Thus it was 13.30 before we reached NM bottom lock. We were in occasional communication with friends who lived fairly locally and were driving to ‘intercept’ us. They parked at ‘The Narrowboat’ and walked towards us we picked them up, whilst doing so I am sure we saw a Spitfire in the distance, and cruised to ‘The Narrowboat’ where we had ‘tea and scones’ made by Mo. We cast off again at 16.10 and cruised to Frankton Jn where our friends were to leave us and return to their car – during the cruise Martin was asking me why the Vulcan flew approaches to land with its airbrakes extended – I explained about Zero Lift Drag (Vulcan ie airbrakes) and Lift Dependent Drag (Most other aircraft ie flaps). Shortly after mooring, imagine our surprise to see the Vulcan fly past!! It certainly made our day.

We reached the moorings on the outskirts of Ellesmere at 18.35 and decided to stop rather than risk not finding a mooring in Ellesmere basin. We have spotted a TESCO so guess what we will be uplifting tomorrow!! No scurvy and we are going to keep it that way.

A quick note – we pull about a 28” draught and there were only a few occasions on the way up to Llangollen where we bottomed out.

Hi John, we were told all about the Deli!! But fine deli = lots of calories = lots of weight watcher points and we have both put on several pounds so far.

Mon 28th Sep 2009

Hello reader, I apologise for the delay in posting this, the latest edition, of our cruise diaries – boils down to a lack of phone coverage last night I’m afraid. Anyway here is the latest tale of our adventures.

09.30 – whilst Mo went into Ellesmere I took the boat over to the sanitation station to empty what needed to be emptied and fill the water tank. Mo returned before I had finished and had to stand on t’other side of t’cut until I’d finished. It was 09.50 before I moved of the sanitation point, picked up Mo and turned at the junction to Ellesmere basin. What changes – the first time I had moored in this basin we were woken at about 05.00 by the sound of jingling milk bottles on floats leaving the dairy, the second and previous visit (just 2 (maybe 3) years later the dairy was empty and the whole area derelict. Now there is a TESCO – a very nice, quiet TESCO – paved areas and redevelopment planned. We moored about as far up into the basin as was possible. I undertook a service of the boat horn (it had become very intermittent in operation) whilst Mo did the supermarket ‘shop’. On her return, with ‘tooter’ fixed, I went for a wander around town.

We had ‘networked’ with some other boaters before our departure and left Ellesmere at 13.45. We had seen some ‘craft ware’ boats moored when ‘coming up’ and planned to stop for a gander when we saw them next, it was just over an hour later when we pulled in and went to look at their wares. We talked of cabbages and kings, made a couple of new friends, bought some trinkets and moved on about an hour later. Little else to say about this part of our return and we finally moored for the evening at 17.45 once again by the ‘shop’ between bridges 44 and 43.

BUT, that is not the end of our tale; when I went to turn down the screw on the stern greaser I noticed that the leisure battery voltage was but 11.5V!!!! Investigation revealed the fan belt lying in the engine bilge with the reinforcement strip from one side hanging out. No problem thinks I – I have a replacement – well yes and no! Replacement – yes, correct side – no. However, there is just enough adjustment to allow for a 975 belt instead of the 950. Rebelted, the engine was run for the next hour or so to get some juice back into the batteries.

Tue 29th Sep 2009

We awoke to find the boat in semi darkness, the mains light out and just the gunnel LED lights operating. The leisure batteries had reached the minimum voltage for the inverter. The engine was started at 07.00 ish (our neighbours fortuitously departing).

07.45 saw us departing our mooring, battery levels slowly climbing. It was 21/4 hours travelling before we reached Grindley Brook top lock and stopped at the water point; ahead of us 4 other boats. The Anglo-Welsh boat following us pulled in behind, to a water point where someone was doing their washing – there was a minor altercation (to be fair the hire boat was ‘in the right’ although it could have pulled in ahead of us to any of the other free water points). A check revealed no ascending boats and the lockies plan – not to have one!! Thus we started down the staircase at 11.05. On reaching the transition between lock 3 and 4 I found myself all but literally crawling along the bottom of the lock with just enough water to proceed at tick-over. (Bye-the-bye our engine stalling/failure to start problem manifested itself just as I entered the top lock!! A dip of the fuel revealed we had just less than half a tank so the problem is getting worse). 11.20 and we were out of the staircase and an hour later out of the bottom lock. First opportunity we stopped for food and I went to the local garage for fuel. (White diesel is some 20p/ltr cheaper than the local canal side suppliers in this local area).

We were sorted and ready to go at 13.15. The batteries were recovering nicely and we reached Povey’s lock at 13.35 and negotiated this and the subsequent 3 over the next 90 minutes or so. We oh so nearly got the picture of a Kingfisher we have been hoping for, one sat until we were almost upon it but flew off just as Mo pressed the camera shutter, we watched the iridescent streak flash ahead and noted where it landed – how can such a beautifully coloured bird vanish so completely when it lands? Baddily No 1 was reached at 16.25 and the 3 locks completed at 17.00. We decided to quite at the next available ’48 hour’ mooring and thus were engine off and sherry poured at 17.10.

Today has been a comedy of errors – You have all seen/done them:

Trying to open a gate the wrong way.

Boat ending up skewed across the canal when mooring.

But this is by far the best - Mo asked for the boat hook so she could close the other gate on the lower set (double gates and she cannot step across a part closed set of gates). I pass her the boat hook and she sets too closing the ‘other’ gate. I let her get it partly closed before suggesting that allowing me to take the boat out of the lock first might be a good plan!!

So dear reader I wish you a good night. Hopefully our electrics will hold up for the next couple of weeks and the comedy of errors will have amused you. Who knows what tomorrow will bring – ‘till then…………..

<snip> (Bye-the-bye our engine stalling/failure to start problem manifested itself just as I entered the top lock!! A dip of the fuel revealed we had just less than half a tank so the problem is getting worse). <snip>

So dear reader I wish you a good night. Hopefully our electrics will hold up for the next couple of weeks and the comedy of errors will have amused you. Who knows what tomorrow will bring – ‘till then…………..

Hi. I can't remember the previous speculation about this, but is your lift pump OK? I can imagine that as the tank empties the head of fuel drops, so if your lift pump is sick or failed then not enough fuel will get to your main pump.

Have you checked this?

Richard

I'm enjoying your journey very much

Richard,

thank you for your suggestion. There is no pump fitted other than on the engine, the engine was serviced a week or so ago and nothing untoward found. I am putting a topic about my fuel problems on another board - problem is worstening with the problem manifesting at half tank levels now!! The idea of a pump to 'feed' through the system appeals but there is clearly an underlying issue that is only a 'recent - in narrowboat terms' issue. Clearly, I would rather find the fault and fix it rather than build in a new component to overcome it.

Cheers

Tony

Richard,

thank you for your suggestion. There is no pump fitted other than on the engine, the engine was serviced a week or so ago and nothing untoward found. I am putting a topic about my fuel problems on another board - problem is worstening with the problem manifesting at half tank levels now!! The idea of a pump to 'feed' through the system appeals but there is clearly an underlying issue that is only a 'recent - in narrowboat terms' issue. Clearly, I would rather find the fault and fix it rather than build in a new component to overcome it.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

I saw your new thread, which I think is a great idea.

Briefly, the way you fuel gets to the engine is; from the tank, through a stop valve, then onto the engine itself. The engine has a low pressure pump on it that sucks the fuel through and pushes it up to the main injector pump through a filter.

So, if your low pressure pump is feeling a little weak, when there is a lot of fuel in the tank it will flow through by gravity, when there is less fuel the pump tries to struggle on but may not be up to the job.

I don't know if that is what your problem actually is, let's see what people suggest in your other thread.

Richard

Richard,

thank you for that explanation - all is now clear. That could certainly be the issue (and it now makes a similar suggestion earlier in this thread make sense). I did ask for the pumps to be checked when the engine was serviced and the report was that all was OK, I wonder if there is any way I could reaffirm that assessment at a DIY level. My other thoughts are contamination in the fuel filter(s) perhaps something like Clandosporium Resinae, although Fuel Set should prevent that. I'm mindful of the fact that the problem has become apparent having replaced the 'JCB' filters with Crosland - mind you the difference could just be badge engineering!! Still, thanks again for your suggestion - worth looking into especially as the problem is now starting at just below half tank fuel level.

Wed 30th Sep 2009

Hello dear reader,

I didn’t mention in yesterday’s missive that my Mum had been taken into hospital with a suspected fractured femur. This morning was spent trying to contact my father and subsequently the hospital to find out what was happening – where we going to have to make a dirty dash for Swindon? As it turns out this is not required.

It was 09.30 before we were able to get under way and all aboard the good ship ‘ELEMIAH’ appeared to be functioning. I forgot to mention yesterday that one of the locks we passed though had gates made in 1963 and they were only starting to show their age. We reached Swanley No1 lock after 25 minutes and were out of Swanley No2 by 10.15. A `little less than an hour later we reached the top of Hurlston locks and completed the descent in just 25 minutes. Sorry this report is a bit of a dash as, indeed, was today but once again we were retracing our steps. At Barbridge junction we took on water again, the halt being half an hour – we moved off and turned left at the junction at 12.40. Now this was a revelation; Mo is not too good at navigation but, as we approached Barbridge Jn she declared that she knew were she was, that we would be turning left and that straight ahead went to Chester!!

On the journey west we had seen the ‘Yankee Candle’ place near Church Minshull and decided to stop on our return – thus we found ourselves mooring by the place at 15.10 and we wandered to the ‘shop’. Possibly not as good as we had anticipated Mo still bought a few things and we wandered back through the paddock via the chestnut trees. 5 minutes of picking and we had more than enough conkers to string around the boat to ward off spiders. 15.50 saw us depart and press on towards Middlewich, we reached Stanthorpe lock at 17.15 and moored at 17.45 halfway between bridges 28 & 29. We had hoped to get here in time to collect our spare keys but the boat yard was on ‘answer phone’ so I will pop down there in the morning. We didn’t want to descend to the junction as space is at a premium.

We took a stroll around Middlewich and found a TESCO!! We are having friends to the boat for a dinner party on Friday night so some luxuries were required (we are gonna have to starve for the next 2 days to amass enough Weight Watchers points!!). A call to the hospital revealed that my mother was out of theatre, comfortable but still under the influence of the anaesthetic. Surprise, surprise – they cannot divulge any information over the ‘phone.

Tomorrow we will be tackling ‘heartbreak hill’ and, time permitting, the Harecastle tunnel – I’ve not looked in detail at the journey lengths/locks to climb so I’ve no idea if we will get even close to the tunnel. But what the heck, we will do our best – the good thing is that our Friday night guests will drive to wherever we end up.

I bid you a good night – I’m off to another thread on the forum to see if my ‘engine problem topic’ has some additional responses. – ‘till tomorrow.…

Tony,

Given you have to be at Harecastle Tunnel by 3.00 to guarantee passage and last passage in any case is 4.15 I doubt you will make it from Middlewich in one day. If you get to Kidsgrove the best place to moor overnight is in the pound below the top lock - just before the tunnel is not recommended. There is a Tesco close to the top lock and a very fine pub, the Blue Bell on the offside across from the top lock. If you want a more rural mooring the run between lock 47 and bridge 135 is decent.

John,

thank you for you advice - as you will see from the following we didn't even get close!!

Thur 1st Oct 2009

What ho peeps,

welcome to this evenings episode of our cruise diary. I have to confess that there is a fair bit of locking later in the tale and they become a bit of a blur after a while. However, here goes:

You will know from yesterday’s missive that we hit the local TESCO, this morning Mo returned to the supermarket to buy all the things we had forgotten! Strangely we now have a list of things we have still forgotten!! Whilst she did that the dog and I went down to the boat yard to collect the boat keys left there sometime earlier in the cruise (that is about as accurate an estimate as I can make).

We left the mooring at 09.30, the ‘fuel boat’ having passed and turned north – damn. We arrived at Wardle lock (apparently, at 100 yards, the Wardle canal is the shortest on the system, but blink and you miss it) as Mo worked the lock, one of the occupants of the lock cottage came out for a chat – a real, genuine boat person, born and brought up on narrow boats.

Down to the junction and right on the T&M – we are now, once again, on ‘new waters’ – once we reach Etruria we will have completed all the T&M in ‘ELEMIAH’. 10.05 and we are in to King’s lock and we start the long ascent (is this the start of ‘Heartbreak hill’?). We can adopt our ascending lock routine – I enjoy this routine, as it impresses gongoozlers (one day it won’t work and I’ll look a right pr**t). As we climb out of Middlewich we pass rows of terraced, semi detached and even the occasional detached home – whilst the water is a mucky earthy brown there is a surprising lack of debris. 10.30 saw us negotiate Rump’s lock and half an hour later we reached the first of 3 Booth Lane locks – a friend has asked to join us for ‘morning coffee’ and he is in the vicinity. In the end he joins us as we complete the flight and moor at bridge 161 (11.45).

We said our farewells (until tomorrow night) and continued on our way at 12.55 – a couple of boats have passed (boats we have seen and passed at various times over the last week or so). Climbing out of Middlewich the T&M is very much a ‘canal’ – very man made, concrete and steel piling constraining the waterway. Some of the bridges are painted white – I wondered if this was a throwback to 1939-45 when working boats would have worked all night and lights would have been a ‘no no’. Despite the concrete and steel the canal gradually takes on a rural persona with off-side vegetation trying to disguise the concrete (and the odd well developed bush growing on the tow-path side). It was 13.45 and around bridge 156 before there was a token gesture of typical canal – the offside broken down and cattle standing in the water.

We stopped at the sanitation point and did the usual ‘filling and emptying’ – yet another boat passed going our way (no surprise really as we had been cruising on tick-over whilst Mo had been making her invented recipe lemon scones). A short stop (decent water pressure for once) of 15 mins and we were off at 14.20 and arrived at the first of the Wheelock flight. The locks are relatively unusual as they are paired – or rather some of them are paired. BW are repairing some, at another - one has been converted to a side weir, and at yet another a bridge has been built over it. Before lock 58 a herd of cows had ‘dared’ one of their number to jump into the canal – it took the dare and a mighty slash ensured followed by a swim back to the bank. Contractors are working at dredging and at one lock we found ourselves delayed as the tug with hopper ‘took the lock’ – no problem we are in no hurry.

At the top of lock 57 I had exited and closed the lock gate and was semi-day dreaming when I realised I was passing a fuel point (note fuel feed issues previously mentioned). Mo was cycling ahead – but had a radio with her, I called her to say I was going to upload a full tank. 40 litres later (and at a reasonable 60/40 price) I called her to say I was on my way. Mo was with boaters who were getting all wound up over the delay in my arrival – she basically told them to ‘chill’ and remember they were a. on the canals , b. on holiday (much amusement amongst the women). When asked where we were headed Mo replied “don’t know – wherever” – the response was “wish my husband was like that – he doesn’t like to dawdle”.

We exited lock 55 at 17.35 and decided to moor in the long pound. Thus, dear reader, we are moored a few hundred yards before lock 54. We plan an early start tomorrow as we still have some 3-4 hours to run before reaching Harecastle tunnel.. Our plan is to make it to Burlaston by tomorrow afternoon so Mo can get everything ready for the dinner party tomorrow night. Given the amount of food – and more particularly booze – I may not ‘post’ tomorrow. If that is the case please accept my apologies in advance.

We bid you a good night until tomorrow – or Saturday. Word is the weather is going to be rain and strong winds on Saturday – we will hunker down and do some jobs around the boat if that is the case. Aerial will be erected so we can watch ‘Merlin’ and ‘Casualty’ (you can take the girl out of nursing but you can’t take the nurse out of the girl!).

Friday 2 Oct 2009

This morning is cloudy but dry and cool, with the roar of the not so distant M6 we cast off at a relatively early 07.25 for a 10 min run to the first lock of the day No 54 (no name lock!). Beyond the lock we encounter ‘boat name of the day’ ‘DRAGONFLY’. One of the ‘DRAGONFLY’ boats we have been leapfrogging over the last couple of days, another we have seen once previously and the third is a BW tug. We arrived at Lawton treble locks at around eight thirty. I reflected upon the derelict state of some of the ‘paired’ locks – I guess the day might come when the doubled locks are repaired and reinstated to ensure a smooth flow of hundreds of boats – would that be a shame? The state of the locks must be part of the ‘charm’ of the IW. perhaps we should rue the day that everything is working perfectly – the waterways will have become a watery version of the M25 (great for the bridge hoppers and continuous moorers).

The next few locks arrive in relatively quick succession such that noting the surroundings is becoming a blur!!!!! We made Hardings Wood Jn at 10.35, I was a little disappointed to realise that we had passed under the ‘Macc’ at lock 42. We are now just a few minutes away from ‘the Tunnel’. I’m not sure why, but it was another 15 mins before we reached the tunnel and moored. The ‘Tunnelie?’ advised us that we would have about an hours wait – Mo did some cooking. Today was the quietest tunnel transit day for some time. At 12.10 we moved off into the tunnel – we were leading a total of 5 boats. Now I have to admit that it was a bit of an anticlimax, Gostie tunnel definitely has the edge on head room (or lack of it). The most disarming aspect was the lack of a ‘tunnel exit’ due to the ‘curtains’ used to help the fume extraction system (look out for the skeleton in one of the alcoves at the northern end). We left the tunnel after 40 mins and pressed on towards Stoke on Trent (we had a dinner appointment). At 14.10 we reached Etruria Junction and started back on waterways we had travelled before. It took 10 minutes before we negotiated lock 40 and we arrived at Stoke bottom lock some 65 minutes later. At ‘Bottom lock’ a boat coming up ‘Maid of Oak’ was proceeding slowly with the paddles being raised a notch at a time!! We reached Lock 35 (Trentham) at 16.50 NOTE: due to vandalism the lock is secured from 19.30 to 07.30. We finally moored just below bridge 104 (Oldroad Br) near to Wedgwood Station. We have friends coming for dinner so I anticipate much eating and drinking and a very slow start tomnorrow.

Sat 3 Oct 2009

Nursing a heavy head we started off at about 10.15 (I think). We have to find a waste disposal to get rid of all the wine bottles!! Beyond bridge 104 the T&M starts to deteriorate, the towpath gradually disintegrating into the canal. The tree-lined avenue of the canal has wind blowing through the trees with a confetti of leaves falling into the cut and onto the boat. The sound of the wind through the poplars adding to the scene. Ahead of us a blanket of leaves obscures the surface of the water.

11.10 and we have reached Meaford lock but, due to boats ahead of us it is 11.50 before we are out. I’ll not bore you with the times at other locks but we moored at Newcastle Road bridge for water at 12.30. At 13.00 and, with a full tank, we are off once again. It is a fair while before we reach Aston lock but we pass through and moor near to the new Aston Marina. Another new home for continuous moorers!!

Sun 4th Oct 2009

Today is going to be a short cruising day – we have friends to meet and a pub lunch appointment. It is a bright, cool morning with blue skies and we leave our mooring at 09.00. Just as well that we found last nights mooring as much of the towpath is now unsuitable with no pilling and narrow towpaths. We reached Weston upon Trent at 1200 and were able to moor near to the pub. Our friends (who live 10 mins away) arrived for our 12.30 lunch appointment at 1PM!! We had a couple of pints of a very pleasant ‘guest beer’ with a bottle of red to ease the digestion before returning to the boat for coffee.

At 4PM other friends arrived – they live on their narrowboat and had not seen ‘ELEMIAH’ since before her fitout. We decided to stay the night at Weston!!

Mon 5th Oct 2009

We had a slow start today and didn’t leave the moorings until 10.00 and reached our first lock at 10.25 and our second (Hoo Mill) 45 mins later. Our next ‘event’ was Great Haywood Jn and we arrived there at 11.40 stopping for water. These taps are not known for their speed of water delivery so it was 40 mins before we were able to depart and turn on to the Staff & Worcs. Tixall wide was populated with the least number of boats we’ve ever previously encountered (and with non ‘lurking in the reeds’). It is well worth reading the dialogue opposite the maps in your canal guide n- it gives snippets of information that you might otherwise ignore. (ie the very impressive gate house that can be seen).

It was nearly 1PM before we arrived at Tixall lock – still with a boat ahead of us, as we are having to set the locks – we encounter the ‘new bollards’, admittedly not for the first time but it has been a while! Between Tixall, Deptmore and Shutt Hill locks we saw a fair few Kingfishers but none hung around for their photographs to be taken. We came upon Parkgate lock (with Midland Chandlers nearby) so whilst Mo looked after the boat I popped into the Chandlers for a look around (didn’t buy anything).

Those of you familiar with this canal will know that locks are spaced at regular intervals with about 30 mins cruising in between. We stopped at the sanitation station above Penkridge lock to upload and down load (what more water? you cry. Well yes we had been running the washing machine and even ‘studio’ sized machines use a tank full per wash – or so it seems).

We had just one lock to go before mooring for the night so we negotiated Filance lock at 18.10 and finally moored for the night, half an hour later, near to Lynhill bridge (no 83).

Tue 6th Oct 2009

It is pouring with rain so we may or may not cruise today!

11.10 and the weather has improved sufficiently for us to set off. We arrived at Otherton lock after just 10 mins but had a short wait as there was a boat approaching the lock (which was set in their favour). Well it is now 11.40 and we are finally leaving the lock; the peace of the countryside torn asunder by the continuous roar of traffic on the nearby Motorway. As we approach Rodbaston lock we notice a fisherman at the lock moorings! Plonker. I am not fazed by dummies that do that so, whilst I didn’t block him, I did use the lock bollards.

12.20 had us at Boggs lock and 13.50 Gaileys lock – an interesting approach, with the round house on the other side of the extended bridges of the A5. Now people, here is a new one: not only are we being ripped off by Mr Brown’s taxes but the management of the boatyard at Gailey wharf (JD Boat Services) are imposing their own tax on diesel. Not content with making 10p/ltr (they charge 68p basic) they have decided that if you purchase less than 75 litres they will ‘tax’ you an additional 5 pence per litre!! Thank you JD BS for your additional contribution to the expense of running a narrow boat.

Having been ripped off by JD BS for 60/40 at 93p/ltr we crossed to the ‘services’ side and – you’ve guessed it – filled up with water. A quick check on provisions showed that we were short of some essentials: bread, butter and beer! A check of the Nicholsen and ‘First Mate’ Guide suggested that we could shop at Coven. We set forth and cruised to Coven, mooring some distance short of the ‘Fox & Anchor’ pub. I walked into the village and did the shopping.

17.00 saw us heading off into the rapidly darkening evening arriving at Autherley Jn an hour later. We decided to spend a day on this end of the ‘Shroppie’ so shortly after descending the 1” or so stop lock we were on the lookout for Shroppie Canal Society 48hr moorings. Moments after passing under Br 4 (Pendeford bridge) at 18.35 we spotted the tell tale sign posts and made a dive for the bank. Having not seen a boat moving on the Shroppie we were surprised to see a boat coming the other way with exactly the same idea. Thus our quiet mooring was shared with another boat (so we both had the distant roar of the M54 for company.

Wed 7th Oct 2009

Wow, what a night – the rain thrumming down on the boat – woke us both in the small hours. Despite that, the morning was bright and clear but cold. I don’t think I mentioned why we had turned up the ‘Shroppie’; well firstly we are about 1½

days cruising from home and 3 days remaining so a day on the southern part of the Shroppie seemed a good idea, we also thought a ‘quick look’ would be good as there are unlikely to be many boats on this usually busy waterway.

We set off at 09.40 the water of the cut surprisingly clear – unsullied, I guess, by the normal passage of hundreds of boats doing the Cheshire ring. We are not planning to go as far as the breach but to Wheaton Aston, wind and return. The other boat had already departed. We reached a narrow part of the canal a few moments later and, no surprise; there was a boat coming!! The canal has ravines and tunnels – not hewn out of rock but created by the branches and foliage of the mature trees either side. There are many places that would suit a Kingfisher and we did see fleeting glimpses. None prepared to sit and let us record them on camera.

With a surprising number of boats around we found ourselves being followed and gradually the boat caught us up – clearly ‘his’ concept of slowing for moored boats was rather different to ours. As we passed the linear moored boats in the region of Brewood the following boat was all but up my exhaust so, on the clear stretch beyond bridge 16 and before the A5 aqueduct I signalled him to pass. He started passing, I was running at about 1200RPM, and when approximately 2/3rds past he seemed to slow. I jokingly commented that he had found some ‘slow water’ – the reply went along the lines that I had clearly speeded up despite indicating that he should pass!! Well, I’ll not regale the remainder of the conversation – in the end I knocked my boat out of gear and into idle reverse while the pra** passed. So I raise a toast to the helmsman of nb ‘Two Waters/Dŵr Dau’ – get a life and lighten up.

Waved at the traffic being held at temporary traffic lights under the A5 aqueduct, but my spirits were a little down after the incident with ‘2 Waters’ – I even had it in mind to overtake him (the reason for his slowing down was simply that his prop was fouled by leaves but the pompous individual wouldn’t look back at his prop wake to notice – RANT over he ‘aint spoiling my day. We reached Wheaton Aston at a little after midday – I was cold to the core so we allowed some distance to walk to the pub for lunch. Chili-con-carne on backed spud for me and veg balti (with chips) for Mo washed down with a very palatable guest beer.

Back at the boat we descended the lock, took on water (now there’s a surprise) and, whilst I went to the winding ‘ole, Mo returned to lock and opened the gates. Nice challenging winding ‘ole with boats moored in it and around it – managed to miss them thou’. We ascended the lock at 14.25 and worked out that it would be 17.00 before we reached our planned mooring. During the return we had more tantalizing glimpses of Kingfishers and a ‘nearly’ with Mo trying to get her camera to start and me directing her view to the right twig (and try and keep the boat out of the trees). In the end one of the elusive little perishers took pity on us and stayed sat in the branches of a tree as we passed within touching distance of him – not sure if the photos will be any good though – fingers crossed.

17.00 and we are back were we started this morning, apparently the temperature is due to drop to 3degC tonight. We have dug out warm clothing ready for tomorrow morning – we are planning an early start so we ascend the Wolverhampton locks while all the thugs and hoodies are still ‘abed! If my memory serves me well, towards the top of the flight is a ‘butty van’ – egg and bacon butties I fancy.

I guess I’ve finally caught up with myself so I’ll bid you good night and get this posted on the forum.

We saw quite a few king fishers on this part of the Shroppie a week ago as we made our way back to Norbury Junction. In one stretch (can't remember exactely where), there were two flitting backwards and forwards across the canal. I don't ever remember seeing more than one at a time before. There was also one at the Wolverhampton Boat Club, which went from boat to boat up the line of moorings as we passed.

Thur 8th Oct 2009

Hello dear reader,

I hope you have caught up with my postings and are ready for today’s update. We planned an early start so as to tackle the Wolverhampton 21 before any undesirables started walking the flight. We started of reasonably early (why oh why do I spend the night in a partial state of sleep waiting for the alarm to go off? – it’s not as if it is vital). The temperature in the cratch was 4degC and the canal was shrouded in mist. The plank, poles and lifebelt were covered in dew that, to my surprise, turned to frost/ice as soon as we started moving. So, at 07.25, we moved off with many layers of clothes on. As we passed the first boats of Wolverhampton Boat Club a Kingfisher flew down the right side of the boat. We had an interview to join WBC - I am not sure that being on a canal linear mooring on one of the busier routes would have been such a good idea.

We arrived at Autherley lock after 25 mins and Mo had a ‘senior’ or ‘first thing in the morning’ moment and couldn’t work out what to do at the lock!! Finally sorted we turned south at the junction towards Audesley Jn. 08.10 and we are at the first lock of the Wolverhampton 21 we are climbing and it takes us the first lock to get into swing of our ‘system’. So, with Mo working ahead as I exit the lock/close paddle and gate we work our way up to the city. By about 08.45 the ice has finally disappeared with the ‘warmth’ of the sun and we make it to lock 14 for 09.20.

Those of you familiar with this flight will know of the ‘butty van’ by lock 10 and fox’s bridge – thoroughly recommended and scrupulously clean we opted for a bacon and egg butty (me) and sausage and egg butty (Mo). Our ‘break’ was interrupted by the arrival of a hire-boat working down the flight, thus we set off after a pause of just 10 mins without an accompanying cuppa. What we have noticed is how clean and clear the canal water is; whilst not unusual it is surprising given that we approaching Wolverhampton. Just before lock 7 we encounter a second ‘Viking afloat’ hire boat and arrive at lock 7 (2 thirds completed) at 10.20. We encounter our third boat as we exit lock 2 and thus we reach the top leaving the top lock at 11.10. So we climbed the 21 locks + 1¾ miles in 3 hrs (less 10 mins for butties) not bad for a pair of olduns. We moored for coffee and set off once again at 11.40 – still the water clear and the aquatic plants visible in the bottom of the cut. An hour 20 of wending our way through areas of past and present industry and vast areas of cleared industry (lots of sites for TESCO) and we reach Coseley tunnel and very shortly after exiting we sight our first familiar landmark – the aerials on top of the hill above Netherton tunnel; we can see them from Longwood and we use them as a ‘nearly there’ reference when driving up the M5 to the boat.

Having decided to return home along the New Main line we reach Factory Jn and the 3 locks at 13.25, the boat yard adjacent to the top lock has been cleared and a couple of new boats appear to be awaiting completion – one in a very strange colour scheme of undercoats! Our slick routine for descending locks came adrift when I dropped my anti vandal key into the lock – the magnet kept attaching to the ironwork of the gate so we waited until the lock was empty, gate open and I went fishing from the stern of the boat. I caught one screw, a rusted piece of iron and my key. It was 25 mins before we left the bottom lock and it took us half an hour to cruise to Dudley port junction where, as we approached 2 hire boats appeared, the first turning towards us and the second turning towards Birmingham. We ‘made a left’ at Pudding Green Jn at 14.50 but our progress towards the Ryders Green flight was delayed when I encountered a case floating in the canal – a 20 minute rescue operation ensued – shouldn’t have bothered. This is when you find out what the canal can really be like – disturb the bottom and black yuck smelling of chemicals and diesel is churned up and this is what the water was like when the working boats ploughed the route 50/100 years ago. 15.15 and we are at the top of Ryders Green flight of 8, for once the pounds are full although the locks are all empty – turning the paddle gear reveals no boat having passed this way since the last lot of rain. Apart from a bit of prop fouling, cleared by judicious use of reverse, all went well…… until, having exited the last lock and manoeuvred to pick up Mo the prop fouled – BIG TIME. We encountered the boat going backwards with forward gear selected ‘thing’. The water here was the same yuck as previously described – only more so. The weed hatch operation was undertaken wearing the arm length rubber gloves and a copious amount of plastic and vegetation removed.

We turned on to the Tame Valley canal at 16.55 – this is getting seriously close to home moorings and we are having to force ourselves not to start talking about work (for Mo) and other back home subjects. There is an air of despondency about having to return to the real world. We moored just near to Hateley aqueduct, when I checked the charge whilst turning down the stern greaser I noted the voltage at 12.6 – engine running this should be 13.7 – 14. Fan belt tight and no change to the indicated voltage when the revs are increased to 1200. So, it looks as though we started our holiday with an electrical snag and we are going to finish with one – at least when we get back tomorrow we can plug into a shore line. I guess I’ll be taking the alternator somewhere to be checked.

Mo have just served ‘Canal Pie’ – a bit like cottage pie but with added ingredients – silt, diesel heavy metals, chemicals etc. So long for today – I’m bushed!!

Fri 9th Oct 2009

Hello Dear Reader, welcome to the very last few hours of this years epic journey. Bide with me awhile as I glide you through the last miles and locks. An uneventful night spent on the Thame Valley canal, a stones throw (but not literally) to the south west of Wednesbury. We certainly didn’t have any problems with boats passing. When mooring last night I had fortuitously spotted a piece of rope float in the water near the stern (back end), on pulling it out of the water a couple of meters of 10mm nylon type rope appeared – now that would have been a great start to the morning wrapped around the prop.

09.15 and in a cool but clear morning we set off, a check of the indicated voltages shows that the alternator has decided to join us for the final leg of the cruise. The Tame Valley canal has few endearing qualities in this neck of the woods – other than being dead straight for a couple of miles. The title belies the fact that, for the most part, the canal has a commanding view over the surrounding ‘countryside’/urban spread and in the final half mile before Rushall Jn passes over the M5 to M6 north/M6 to M5 south links. We stopped and watched the traffic from our lofty position – I wonder just how many motorists have any idea they are passing under such a historic transport system? Moments later the canal is running level with the M6 but the safety fencing prevents the majority of passengers from seeing us – only the cabs of lorries and saloons of coaches having sufficient height. Ahead it is possible to see the bridge over the Rushall canal at the junction that we reach at 10.05.

Thus we turn onto ‘home waters’, to our surprise the towpath is being worked on by an ‘in partnership with BW’ company – it has been cleared, levelled and resurfaced prior to tarmacing!! I guess the non-contributing cyclists and walkers/runners will be benefiting ‘cos fellow boater you and I won’t be – it is all but impossible to moor along the Rushall canal!! (And that includes lock moorings). Don’t get me wrong, the Rushall isn’t a bad canal, it is just a ‘remainder waterway’ and would benefit from a significant increase in boat traffic (once the Litchfield and Hatherton opens we might see that increase.).

We have our own pet flight of locks – the Rushall flight (imaginative don’t you think), our friend Albert (the 'hobbler' of Water World fame and a genuine ‘boat family’ person) reminds us that the 7 locks that are in close proximity are ‘the Ganzi 7’ known because of the wind that blew across the open field necessitating the wearing of a boaters ‘Gernsey’. (The 2 locks immediately prior to Longwood Junction were called after the lock-keepers family name – but I’ve forgotten it, sorry Albert.) So, at 10.30 we entered lock 9 and started our ascent and all went swimmingly well until lock 8!!! Here all attempts to close the bottom gates failed, what also failed was my attempt to contact BW, in the end hydraulics won the day – I positioned the stern (back end) of the boat over the obstruction and used a blast of power to shift whatever it was. It took us 20 minutes in all to resolve this little problem. We left the Ganzi 7 at 11.55 and shortly afterwards passed under Gillity bridge and there, a mile ahead loomed the final 2 locks of our journey and Longwood Boat Club, our moorings. It took 15 mins to complete the final locks and we moored at the sanitation point for water and ‘other things’. Now I have to confess that this is quite the worse sanitation point we have ever encountered so come on BW it needs some money spending on it rather than a new motorway towpath for Sustrans. If you come this way then you have to cruise up to Brownhills for the TESCO and the truly luxurious Sanitation Station – as the kids would say ‘it is, like, wow – know what I mean’.

That’s all for now dear reader, but I will add some additional bits of information, facts and figures etc. Last year I did a bit of a competition and I offer you the chance to try again this year, so here goes:

How many miles have we travelled?

How many locks have we negotiated (excluding flood locks, all of which were open)?

You are most welcome Ali. What oubout the rest of you - any guesses? I have worked out the basics I've just got to add the diversions etc and determine if the result includes flood locks!

Off back to the boat later today (Boat Club Committee Meeting!) but I also want to try and find out what the source of the water in the dry bilge is. I've ordered some litmus paper - hopefully it will detect alkaline in the water = it is from the shower. If that is the case then I will have to dismantle the bathroom to get to the shower tray and find out where the leak is coming from. That is not an easy job by any stretch of the imagination!!

Edited by TeeELL

You are most welcome Ali. What oubout the rest of you - any guesses? I have worked out the basics I've just got to add the diversions etc and determine if the result includes flood locks!

Off back to the boat later today (Boat Club Committee Meeting!) but I also want to try and find out what the source of the water in the dry bilge is. I've ordered some litmus paper - hopefully it will detect alkaline in the water = it is from the shower. If that is the case then I will have to dismantle the bathroom to get to the shower tray and find out where the leak is coming from. That is not an easy job by any stretch of the imagination!!

Does it smell/feel/taste soapy?

Richard

Does it smell/feel/taste soapy?

Richard

:lol:

That’s all for now dear reader, but I will add some additional bits of information, facts and figures etc. Last year I did a bit of a competition and I offer you the chance to try again this year, so here goes:

How many miles have we travelled? 200

How many locks have we negotiated (excluding flood locks, all of which were open)? 100

So if I’m the only entry I must be the closest and therefore the winner. :lol:

What’s the prize? :lol:

Still working on a more sensible answer Tony give us a day or two till you post the results. :lol:

RLWP,

I tested the water in the bilge and the result was alkaline, a test of the canal water was neutral (just in case I've taken a torpedo hit!!). Water with a mix of shower Gel etc also tested alkaline. When I pumped the water out it produced a little foam, items immersed had a 'slimey' feel but I couln't detect a positive 'shower gel/hair shampoo' smell. I have concluded that it is issuing from the shower - to pour a measured amount of water into the shower and see what happens.

Phoenix,

you are right of course, if you are the only person to submit then you would be the winner but lets tighten the odds =/- 50 miles and =/- 20 locks.