Chilli in Bitumen?

Featured Posts

Hello all, I am currently in the proccess of re-blacking the bottom of my 45ft narrowboat. Somebody has suggested to me that putting chilli powder in the final coat will prevent algae & weed growth on the hull. I'd lke to hear what some other people think about this idea. I'm quite tempted to give it a try, but I don't know if it could have adverse effects on the black underneath it.

This is not a joke & the final coat is going on tomorrow (weather permitting).

Hello all, I am currently in the proccess of re-blacking the bottom of my 45ft narrowboat. Somebody has suggested to me that putting chilli powder in the final coat will prevent algae & weed growth on the hull. I'd lke to hear what some other people think about this idea. I'm quite tempted to give it a try, but I don't know if it could have adverse effects on the black underneath it.

This is not a joke & the final coat is going on tomorrow (weather permitting).

it might stop the ducks pecking at the hull in the morning

That sounds like it is worth a try but the amount you will need, I suggest going to Southall near Heathrow rather than a Sharwoods pot from Asda.

It’s worth a try, at best your blacking is only good for 2yrs anyway and much less if you moor near one of the fuel slicks that are being spoken about on the boards at the moment as petrol and diesel wash the blacking off on the water line (international AFAIK but prob other brands too)

Thanks for the feedback guys - made me chuckle. I was hoping someone here had either treid it or knew of someone who had. As said by O'Mali, I feel I would probably need a lot so I might do a test with some scrap steel (blacked with chili powder) & if it works put it on the boat next time. This is my second time blacking my boat and have been very impressed with using Primocon underwater primer (others are possibly as good - I just havn't tried them) underneath the bitumen. It still seems to stay stuck even after pressure washing. This time round I'm doing the same again, with the forum's 'sandwich' method on top.

Let's hope the weather men are right about tomorrow - final coat on & the stern flashing to do.

Best regards,

Charles

I might do a test with some scrap steel (blacked with chili powder) & if it works put it on the boat next time.

Best regards,

Charles

Yeah try it even for next time you could leave a test sample in the cut near your mooring.

Good luck with the forecast matey.

It’s worth a try, at best your blacking is only good for 2yrs anyway and much less if you moor near one of the fuel slicks that are being spoken about on the boards at the moment as petrol and diesel wash the blacking off on the water line (international AFAIK but prob other brands too)

You haven't tried comastic?

Comastic is evil stuff - I hate it when I have to use it at work! Have you seen the warning on the tin, it's worse than cigarettes! It manages to soak through cloathing and chemically burns any skin it comes into contact with. I appreciate it is supposed to be better than bitumen (though how much i'm not sure) but it's just too nasty for me. The primocon/bitumen combo seems just as good without me ending up burned & infertile!!!!!

regards,

Charles

Know people that have treid chilli powder in their antifoul. The result so far. No different to just antifoul. I think this one is a bit of a myth.

In my admittedly weakened state I'm not sure whether you're taking the p*ss so...

The hot stuff in chili; capsaicin, being oil soluble, would be an interesting ingredient to bitumen as it does tend to dissuade certain organisms from growing on it. I've never seen a mouldy habanero and I've grown a good many so I can see some theory there, whether, in practice, it works out is something I will discover in a couple of years' time.

Not too sure as to the solvent behind comastic so don't know whether it'd break down the capsaicin that's responsible for the heat that would otherwise put the aforementioned organisms off. I've just wiki'd capsaicin and it's brilliant stuff...

It'd have a similar effect to antifoul so that's not a good sample.

bedtime

Thanks Phylis, I admit I wasn't aure wheter the guy who told me had had his leg pulled, but you've comfirmed that this is a known practice - albeit possibly not a very effective one. As mmentioned earlier, I've decided not to try it this time due to needing so much for this 'experiment'. I will try and pick some up next time I'm shopping & make a test piece so I can report as to how well it might work with bitumen. I would have thought if it was really that good the paint manufacturers would already be putting it in?

Thanks for all the replies so far, I shall report back in time how the test is turning out.

Regards,

Charles.