Which boat newer or older?

mickeyduff

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm looking to buy a boat there are two I'm interested in both 59' and both the same price, one was built in 1991 but has been recently fitted out in a modern open plan layout done in ply and solid wood with modern fittings. The other was built in 2004 and has what I would call a dated lay-out, dark woods, wall papered rooms, doored bulk heads seperating individual rooms with drab fittings. This is the question, boat one has the internal layout I like but boat two is newer therefore more likely to be structurely sounder? which one would you buy, the older boat which requires no work or the newer boat which you would refit inside to your taste????

Hi

I'm looking to buy a boat there are two I'm interested in both 59' and both the same price, one was built in 1991 but has been recently fitted out in a modern open plan layout done in ply and solid wood with modern fittings. The other was built in 2004 and has what I would call a dated lay-out, dark woods, wall papered rooms, doored bulk heads seperating individual rooms with drab fittings. This is the question, boat one has the internal layout I like but boat two is newer therefore more likely to be structurely sounder? which one would you buy, the older boat which requires no work or the newer boat which you would refit inside to your taste????

hi, i think you'll have to give more info, makers, style, make of engine, thickness of metal etc pics may help.

For the 91 to be the same price as the 04, the 91 must have a much superior shell builder or you are paying for the new fitout.

or

The 91 is way over priced and the 04 is under priced.

or

I think you get the idea, as woodenit, says we need more info but even with that it will be your decision.

Remember to buy with brain engaged, not heart. :lol:

Out of curiosity, how does the cost of buying and re-fitting the 2004 boat compare to buying and fitting out a new lined/wired/plumbed sailaway?

Hi

I don't know as I have not looked into that option,the other thing is I'm buying it as a live boat so I would need a livable boat to start with then do-up over time, what I like about the 2004 boat is that it has it's own engine room unlike the 1991 one,

Why not try and find a boat that is newer and has a fitout you like?

Hi

I'm always looking, hopefully after the summer there will be a few on the market the main thing is trying to get the best deal/value for my money , thanks

If the '91 boat has a hull survey and it's OK, go for it. Narrowboats - even modern steel ones - can last a lot longer than 18 years if properly cared for. Conversely, a 2004 boat that has been neglected has had plenty of time to deteriorate.

Hi

the 1991 has no survey and the 2004 was out the water last year for repainting and reblacking and has a current survey,

thanks

I'm buying an older boat and will fit it out to my style. I like the planning and the personalising of any property I've bought to live in. I've always bought dwellings that required quite a bit of work; it's half the fun of moving :lol:

At least with a NB it wont take years :lol:

At least with a NB it wont take years :lol:

My house was a very rundown when I bought it, I had builders in for the heavy stuff and the re-wire. I fitted the heating,kitchen, 2 baths and decorated the lot, total time 7 months working full time.

I bought the boat as a sailaway and it took me 12 months to complete working full time. :lol:

It can be a nightmare working on boats because of the lack of space so its best to allow at least twice as long as you would think for everything. :lol:

isn't a sailaway a completely empty boat? That must have been such a proud moment finishing her :lol:

It had windows,doors,floor and was insulated, it also had an engine and gearbox, but I had to take that out first to get the generator in.

When the shell was delivered I just sat there for a while with my head in my hands wondering whether I'd dropped one, its a lot of hard work. :lol:

Yes you are very proud when its finished.

Edited by david and julie

the 1991 has no survey and the 2004 was out the water last year for repainting and reblacking and has a current survey,

thanks

You may have misunderstood my point - you should pay for a survey on whichever boat you're really interested in. At worst, it will save you money because of previously unidentified problems. At best, it will tell you all is well with the hull. The boat dating from 1991 may well be perfectly sound.