BW on the radio

Carrie

Featured Posts

Anyone hear Robin Evans from bw on the business news this morning? Announcing profits of, I think I heard right (it was 6.25am!) of 89 million pounds, Evans went on to set out his aims for the canals in the future - huge property development, marinas, 'leisure facilities'. When asked how he felt about the cut in financial subsidies from tax-payers money, he said he was quite happy as bw hoped to become completely independent in the future. This would allow them 'freedom' to develop the waterways industry. Sounds like a private monopoly in which we would have no say whatsoever.

Anyone hear Robin Evans from bw on the business news this morning? Announcing profits of, I think I heard right (it was 6.25am!) of 89 million pounds, Evans went on to set out his aims for the canals in the future - huge property development, marinas, 'leisure facilities'. When asked how he felt about the cut in financial subsidies from tax-payers money, he said he was quite happy as bw hoped to become completely independent in the future. This would allow them 'freedom' to develop the waterways industry. Sounds like a private monopoly in which we would have no say whatsoever.

30052[/snapback]

Government Policy is to reduce or preferably eliminate Government subsidy in respect of the Waterways, the consequential opportunity for BW given privatisation is to act as principal, with borrowing powers, in future development schemes without having to find financial backing and partners for every scheme undertaken. It should be able to build and operate new marina schemes to reduce the shortfall in moorings required for example, but expect the costs of boating to rise unless a proportion of development incomes can be ring fenced to invest in navigation and boat related infrastructure. As for care of heritage buildings and structures on the waterways this sits with BW at the moment yet it is reported that these remain in decline on the whole. Before the BW property portfolio is privatised, a register of these structures should be recorded and consideration to placing responsibility for these elsewhere, but with an annual income from the privatised BW supplemented with matched funding from sources external to the waterways and managed by a museum or trust.

An earlier thread here was "New Guardian required for Waterways?", clearly this remains key. The final "transport" privatisation appears inevitable now, the railways, docks, aviation industries having already been privatised.

Neil