gas cookers for boats why so pricey?

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Still 60cm deep. 50cm deep cookers with a separate grill are like hens teeth it seems these days 

Missed that just assumed 50cm wide.

Everything gets bigger these days.

Edited by Loddon

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well done - all the ones I found were 50 x 60

13 minutes ago, Loddon said:

This one

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-hob/stoves-hobs-and-cookers/statesman-legacy-50-lpg-cooker

took a while

There are one or two others but I couldnt find a UK supplier

Midland chandlers did a version of that...but it’s single cavity...having a pull down oven door open to make some toast on a narrowboat isn’t the best design...looks like I need to get some more years out of mine still! 

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Midland chandlers did a version of that...but it’s single cavity...having a pull down oven door open to make some toast on a narrowboat isn’t the best design...looks like I need to get some more years out of mine still! 

Have you considered a cooker and separate hob & grill ? (or even a 900w electric toaster, run the engine whilst toasting)

Just now, frangar said:

Cookers are not my department ;)

I can source an item then pass the spec to C who approves or not as the case may be.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Have you considered a cooker and separate hob & grill ? (or even a 900w electric toaster, run the engine whilst toasting)

That...like a 600mm deep cooker... will require a galley refit....and I don’t just use a grill for toast! 

Part of the problem is that people want to fit fashionable domestic fixtures which often aren't really suited to boats. Hobs with covers that won't open properly because of the cabin side tumblehome and deep butler style sinks that won't gravity drain because the skin fitting ends up too close to or below the waterline are two prime examples. Perhaps people should realise they're on boats and stop watching property programmes on tv. Choose fixtures to suit the boat rather that bodging the fitting of unsuitable fixtures because they happen to be on trend.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, frangar said:

How about this one?

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-hob/spinflo-hobs-and-cookers/spinflo-mk-3-caprice-black

51 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It’s a “drop in” type rather than a freestanding cooker so is still going to require some galley mods...and the lid might be a pain as suggested against a sloping cabin side...I think it might come off too...also I’ve read less than favourable reviews about oven performance

i just want a new vanette to replace my 20 year old one....but they don’t make them anymore. 

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

I fitted one in place of what I think was a three burner Vanette and no galley modifications were needed. I made a three sided "box" out of white faced chipboard that fitted into the gap left by the old cooker so the caprice just slotted into it. I faced the top faces of the box with alloy angle. The back was partial because the instructions went on about a hole for air into the  oven. I suspect having a too large hole may be related to the admittedly poor oven performance but that mainly seemed to be needing to run the oven at a higher regulo that the gas cooker at home.

The front of the "box" was flush with the front of the galley unit so I was able to infill behind the cooker rather than leave the gap the old cooker had. The lid opened to just a tad over vertical so the  hob gas valve opened but just to be sure I used a block of wood screwed to the cabin side  with soft plastic pad on it and a drop down wooden tongue to ensure an impact or vibrations could not close the lid.

It is also true to say that there is a need to remove the burners and caps every year or so to remove rust and ensure the through screws do not rust up. I applied Copaslip. I did suffer a flame supervisor failure on one burner and gaining access to below the hob was a bit of a pain but it was far easier then our domestic Zanusi gas cooker. Spares were easy to obtain via the net.

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

We (like many others - they're everywhere) have got one of those. The reason I'm reading this thread is to see if there's an alternative. The oven cooks on the top shelf, warms a bit on the middle shelf (we bought a second shelf) and does nowt on the bottom. It has always suffered flame lift.  The hob is fine, the grill is ok. Would I recommend it? Sadly, no.

28 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We are sick and tired of having a substandard vanette cooker and looking for a 60cm wide unit, either separate hob/cooker or single unit. 

Like sea Dog, there must be a lpg proper one. 

We have a New World 55cm cooker, the newer 60cm version may well do, I am told ours works well ;)

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7265288

Although you may have to remove the lid which ours doesn't have

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

We (like many others - they're everywhere) have got one of those. The reason I'm reading this thread is to see if there's an alternative. The oven cooks on the top shelf, warms a bit on the middle shelf (we bought a second shelf) and does nowt on the bottom. It has always suffered flame lift.  The hob is fine, the grill is ok. Would I recommend it? Sadly, no.

We have had on for 8 or 9 years. It cooks, just, but would not try baking in it. The grill is hopeless, only cooks in the middle. The hob is tolerable but needs regular stripping and cleaning else the jets block with rust off the caps.

I have given up cleaning the oven and grill, its nasty sharp sheet metal.

If the oven or grill is used, about and hour later as it cools it makes the most terrifying clang noise.

Nasty tin box, will not buy another.

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

We are sick and tired of having a substandard vanette cooker and looking for a 60cm wide unit, either separate hob/cooker or single unit. 

Like sea Dog, there must be a lpg proper one. 

Edit.

Actually no, belay that.

I'll pop the naughty boy on the ignore function for a short while just to save him from further embarrassment.

Apologies for disrupting the thread, as you were folks.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

4 hours ago, Loddon said:

We have a New World 55cm cooker, the newer 60cm version may well do, I am told ours works well ;)

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7265288

Although you may have to remove the lid which ours doesn't have

Also got one of the55cm New World cookers. Can confirm it works very well. Good for roasting and baking, with reasonably even oven heat distribution. Have done a family xmas dinner with it. Would get another.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Also got one of the55cm New World cookers. Can confirm it works very well. Good for roasting and baking, with reasonably even oven heat distribution. Have done a family xmas dinner with it. Would get another.

Promising idea for some, and I'm pleased you've found a good 'un Jen.  It gets more difficult to find such a beast for many of us who need to replace a boat/caravan unit such as the Caprice without precipitating a galley rebuild, so we need one that's 50cm wide and 50cm deep.  It seems they're a bit rare.