It’s time to reclaim our rivers, says Griff Rhys Jones

Chris J W

Featured Posts

"From secret bends to urban meanders, our waterways are a national treasure. They need to be opened up for everyone"

Times Online Article

Wonder if he'd be persuaded to look at the canal system in a further series?

Seems to me that the rivers and canals are so inextricably linked in our waterways network that it would be difficult not to include canals.

When I bought my first boat about ten years ago I met an old boy whod been living on narrowboats since the early 60s. He told me that when canal transport died out the authorities thought that all the canals could just be filled in, apparently not realising that they played a part in the relief system.

I do find it a bit odd when comedians from the 70s present documentaries. I never thought GRJ or M Palin were particularly funny, and don't think they make a much better job of these sorts of programmes.

I wonder what kind of documentaries Sascha Baron Cohen and Jimmy Carr will be presenting in 20 years time?

Edited by blackrose

I do find it a bit odd when comedians from the 70s present documentaries. I never thought GRJ or M Palin were particularly funny, and don't think they make a much better job of these sorts of programmes.

I wonder what kind of documentaries Sascha Baron Cohen and Jimmy Carr will be presenting in 20 years time?

Who knows. But, in our media based culture, I am very pleased to see the likes of Grif using his 'name' to draw attention to topics like this. He is after all a boater living in Suffolk and so has a real interest in the waterways. Good for him.

Living in Scotland, I can enjoy a (non-motorized) right to roam on pretty much any water in this country and really value this. I hope that IWA etc can use Griff's campaign as a catalyst for their own - it would be wonderful if England could enjoy the same access rights that we now take for granted up here, though I do take the point that with 10x our population density, there may be legitimate concerns from landowners. Maybe the Scottish experience (essentially almost no problems) could be a help?

While I don't have argument with the cause he espouses, he's got his facts wrong about the Wye. There is a propscriptive right of navigation as far as Hereford at least, and it is now regulated by the EA having been an open navigation. It is claimed that this right goes all the way to Hay, and the fact that canoe clubs and adventure operators do this length supports this. There is also a right of navigation on the Lugg from the Wye to Leominster.

While I don't have argument with the cause he espouses, he's got his facts wrong about the Wye. There is a propscriptive right of navigation as far as Hereford at least, and it is now regulated by the EA having been an open navigation. It is claimed that this right goes all the way to Hay, and the fact that canoe clubs and adventure operators do this length supports this. There is also a right of navigation on the Lugg from the Wye to Leominster.

Suspect his researchers are to blame here.

I think anyone who is prepared to stand up for traditional values should be commended. So much is being taken out of the system by stealth and apathy that only when its gone do people realise but by then of course its too late!

I think he is also doing a program on the waterways as well should be entertaining.

Despite the title this series covers waterways in general including a trip across the aqueduct at Marple and a short journey down the last bit of the Peak Forest and first few locks of the Huddersfield Narrow, IIRC.

Edited by Ike

I think anyone who is prepared to stand up for traditional values should be commended. So much is being taken out of the system by stealth and apathy that only when its gone do people realise but by then of course its too late!

Traditional values? Traditionally many of our rivers, particularly those passing through cities and towns, were used as sewers and were very polluted.

Edited by blackrose

Traditional values? Traditionally many of our rivers, particularly those passing through cities and towns, were used as sewers and were very polluted.

It would be ridiculous if every topic placed on the forum had to be time/year qualified, grow up.

Well Said Gryf !!!!

Havent we all experienced nasty comments from fishermen - had our boats surrounded at the crack of dawn by fishing tackle - had to wade through mountains of rubbish left by the so called sportsmen and had bait caterpulted at us as we pass by apologising for disturbing their day out tormenting the day lights out of the marine life...

come on Gryf should be our Hero and stand on the pedistal in Trafalgar Square for having the courage to speak out what goes thru every boaters minds when you have to pass through the gauntlet of a fishing competition....... :lol:

Havent we all experienced nasty comments from fishermen - had our boats surrounded at the crack of dawn by fishing tackle - had to wade through mountains of rubbish left by the so called sportsmen and had bait caterpulted at us as we pass by apologising for disturbing their day out tormenting the day lights out of the marine life...

No.

I've never had a nasty comment, from a fisherman (plenty from fellow boaters, though).

Anglers arriving at dawn meant that I could go to work leaving my unpaid security ensuring the safety of my boat (I always make them a cuppa).

There are litter droppers in all walks of society, some of them boaters.

I was once catapulted by kids, who'd got bored with maggot drowning, but I put that down to bored kids, not aggressive anglers.

I've never apologised to anyone, for enjoying my boating.

Edited by carlt

I checked last night, it has a statutory right to Hay (a right granted by parliament) it MAY have prescriptive rights (custom and use) further up but these are unproven.

Ah, that's right, yes.. The EA have negotiated rights above Hay. They had a devil of a time a few years ago when the river decided to lose a meander a couple of miles up...

Anyone see last nights? Bit of a brief glance at Marple aqueduct, Portland Basin, and a few locks on the HNC. Nice to see 'Forget Me Not' under-way, though, but I thought she was slightly misrepresented when described as 'travelling collecting scrap to sell' and not 'travelling collecting scrap to sell to raise money for the trust'