Project Liveaboard

Featured Posts

*Copied from another post*

I've been to a quite a few brokerages in the last few months looking for a 'project' boat ie needs a internal refit and a darm good lick of paint, but what i've found is scrappers for upwards of £25000 that you can see the rain running down the inside of the walls as fast as it is outside and woodwork that is softer than my granny's victoria sponge!

Is there such a place that sells older hulls in a sailaway form? ( as i dont have £19k plus for a new one)

Sven

I've been to a quite a few brokerages in the last few months looking for a 'project' boat ie needs a internal refit and a darm good lick of paint, but what i've found is scrappers for upwards of £25000 that you can see the rain running down the inside of the walls as fast as it is outside and woodwork that is softer than my granny's victoria sponge!

Is there such a place that sells older hulls in a sailaway form? ( as i dont have £19k plus for a new one)

Sven

I guess it just means keep looking.

I saw a 40ft boat recently that's going for £10k (I'm sure they'd accept £9) but it's an old and pretty ugly shell, and basically needs stripping and starting again inside.

T.

I guess it just means keep looking.

I saw a 40ft boat recently that's going for £10k (I'm sure they'd accept £9) but it's an old and pretty ugly shell, and basically needs stripping and starting again inside.

T.

You could get more than £9 in scrap :lol:

I'll take that as a no then?

I think the answer really is no. You are asking if someone buys old boats, rips the interiors out and sells them as sailaways. I can't see that as an effective business model. You'd buy a boat and interior, pay someone to gut it, pay for the disposal of the interior, then try and sell a boat with less features for more than you payed for it.

Why not let some eager punter with big ideas buy a boat then scrap everything because it doesn't match their dream. Much easier.

Richard

Sven

Sven, look on eBay under the heading "42" narrowboat Springer style" (don't worry, it means 42 foot really) and you will see a narrowboat, in Brum, which could be exactly what you require. Current bid is £3,600.

Sven, look on eBay under the heading "42" narrowboat Springer style" (don't worry, it means 42 foot really) and you will see a narrowboat, in Brum, which could be exactly what you require. Current bid is £3,600.

Yeah - that's exactly what OP asked for.

There's not much choice at the moment but you could try here.

http://www.boatwrecks.com/Default.asp

:lol: Completely off-topic (that's why I used that smiley, clever ain't I?) but on that site there's a listing for a sold Bayliner that states "Engines removed & inhibited". What's that mean? (Not the removed bit, I know what that means)

T :lol:

We're pretty clued up, us Springwood Haven types - or ex-SH in my case, moored there from about 1998 to 2005.

Yup, little Wot Ever moved in at about the time mighty Trojan moved out :lol:

:lol: Completely off-topic (that's why I used that smiley, clever ain't I?) but on that site there's a listing for a sold Bayliner that states "Engines removed & inhibited". What's that mean?

Only a guess, anti-freeze is also an inhibiter (to prevent internal corrosion) so I assume they've put something in the engines - perhaps they've filled them with oil and anti-freeze? :lol:

:lol: Completely off-topic (that's why I used that smiley, clever ain't I?) but on that site there's a listing for a sold Bayliner that states "Engines removed & inhibited". What's that mean? (Not the removed bit, I know what that means)

T :lol:

Yup, little Wot Ever moved in at about the time mighty Trojan moved out :lol:

Trojan was only a gleam in our eye at that time! Our boat at SH was a 40 foot red thing called Batto. Wonder where she is now?

Many Thanks David and Julie!!!! That's more like it.

Think i didn't make myself clear enough...... I am after somewhere that sells abandoned projects or older boats that need gutting and starting gain internally like boatwrecks.com theboatsheduk etc.

Might have a goosey at the 70footer......

Trojan was only a gleam in our eye at that time! Our boat at SH was a 40 foot red thing called Batto. Wonder where she is now?

Not seen a 40ft red thing called Batto anywhere around the Coventry or Ashby, but if I see a 40ft red thing called something else I might ask "Did you used to be called Batto?", although it's doubtful she'd answer me :lol:

Not seen a 40ft red thing called Batto anywhere around the Coventry or Ashby, but if I see a 40ft red thing called something else I might ask "Did you used to be called Batto?", although it's doubtful she'd answer me :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I rather think that the new owners took her to the Trent & Mersey but I could be wrong.

What does the OP think of that 42-footer on eBay?

It means they have been submerged so the salvage yard have removed them emptied them of any water and oil then refilled with water, antifreeze and fresh oil, hopefully flushing it out first. Although some dont. It says they have removed the interior and kept that but it would be pretty knackered depending on the length of submersion.