Eberspacher...HELP.......

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

I have an Eberspacher D5W on my 12 year old boat. I bought the boat a year ago and the people lived aboard so I figure it had a fair bit of use.

I have fired it up almost every day for the past 5 months as I heat the bathroom radiator and use it for the hot water so that I don't run the engine in the morning. A few days back it stopped. It would start to run but cut out after a period of a few seconds. I have the workshop manual, so I took out the glow plug and found it had a dirty stripe down one side running the full length ( I would guess the side that faces where the fuel comes in). It was also burnt out as in...melted...had a break in the coil (coresponding to the stripe) Studying the manual I made a reverse scraper (as suggested) and scraped coke from the inside of where the glow plug fits.

I removed the fuel metering pump as it mentioned cleaning a filter, but couldn't see this filter and...although the Eberspacher manual is comprehensive about the main system...it doesn't show details of the pump.

I refitted it and replaced the glow plug and fired it up.

It made the usual noises and I could feel heat where the glow plug fits.....then..after about 30 seconds...blue smoke started to come from the exhaust.

This built up into a huge cloud and the thing made a non-usual roaring noise. I have tried running it up several times in case it clears (sorry to the boat behind !!) but it doesn't.

I'm not sure where to start with this..?..When I removed the pump I put pressure on the pipes and the whole body of the pump turned as if it is split in the middle. On another website there was a mention of carefully dismantling the pump and cleaning it.

Does it come apart that easily.. or would this upset its 'settings'...as I say...the manual doesn't show an exploded view ?

Could I have upset the pump when the body rotated ?

I would guess the main unit hasn't been dismantled/decoked for years if ever...

Dismantling/decoking would be within my skills....but are the gaskets easy to obtain ?

On another website some said they...'made up new gaskets'....what would I make them from to be heat proof ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob

Sounds like very similar symptoms to ours. We spent over four hundred squids having it serviced and reserviced in the first six months of owning our boat. But still after a few goes it'd show the same symptoms as yours and then cut out.

We decided we couldn't afford to keep having work done on it so we simply don't use it anymore. It doesn't even start now.

Doesn't help you, I know. Sorry. :lol:

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I have an Eberspacher D5W on my 12 year old boat. I bought the boat a year ago and the people lived aboard so I figure it had a fair bit of use.

I have fired it up almost every day for the past 5 months as I heat the bathroom radiator and use it for the hot water so that I don't run the engine in the morning. A few days back it stopped. It would start to run but cut out after a period of a few seconds. I have the workshop manual, so I took out the glow plug and found it had a dirty stripe down one side running the full length ( I would guess the side that faces where the fuel comes in). It was also burnt out as in...melted...had a break in the coil (coresponding to the stripe) Studying the manual I made a reverse scraper (as suggested) and scraped coke from the inside of where the glow plug fits.

I removed the fuel metering pump as it mentioned cleaning a filter, but couldn't see this filter and...although the Eberspacher manual is comprehensive about the main system...it doesn't show details of the pump.

It made the usual noises and I could feel heat where the glow plug fits.....then..after about 30 seconds...blue smoke started to come from the exhaust.

This built up into a huge cloud and the thing made a non-usual roaring noise. I have tried running it up several times in case it clears (sorry to the boat behind !!) but it doesn't.

I'm not sure where to start with this..?..When I removed the pump I put pressure on the pipes and the whole body of the pump turned as if it is split in the middle. On another website there was a mention of carefully dismantling the pump and cleaning it.

Does it come apart that easily.. or would this upset its 'settings'...as I say...the manual doesn't show an exploded view ?

Dismantling/decoking would be within my skills....but are the gaskets easy to obtain ?

On another website some said they...'made up new gaskets'....what would I make them from to be heat proof ?

Thanks.

Bob

Can't help much I'm afraid as I've got a Webasto. When it produces large amounts of blue smoke there is generally combustion taking place, but I fear not the type of combustion you were after, the "non usual" roar leads me to believe that unburnt diesel has ignited and effectivly set fire to the unit. This may have caused damage to the unit itself, and maybe worth having a look inside again.

Diesel collects from all the misfires and when the unit starts it burns that diesel off, the good news is, if the heater hasn't been damaged it does still work. Try leaving it a few days for some diesel to evaporate then starting it again. Be prepared for lots of smoke until it has burned the diesel off though, and keep it running for as long as possible (turn all the radiators on, make sure the calorifier is cold)

It does probably need a decoke though, but I can't help you with that. Hylomar or normal gasket paper will almost certainly do to remake your gaskets though.

Lee

Hi

currently have the same problem with my eber hydronic d5, although not blue smoke but white smoke. Blue smoke sounds odd as thats usually the exhaust produced through the burning of oil for example in an engine. white smoke is often due to incomplete combustion and black smoke for over load.

saying that i'm not sure why these units seem notorious for producing excessive exhaust smoke and hope to have mine serviced next week. one thing i wonder is that i fitted a silencer last month which has a drain hole in the bottom for condensation, and hence blows a steady stream of exhaust into the engine bay. Maybe this is entering the unit and effecting the combustion.

andy

You could try fitting a solenoid fuel shut off valve, it's possible diesel could be seeping in when turned off. My Mikuni has suffered from smoking and I have tried everything. For some reason it has decided to behave itself, the only possible thing I can think of is erratic fuel quality and /or fuel additive, I bought 5lt of Morris fuel additive 2 or 3 years ago and used it on and off, when it ran out I reverted to Fortran and since then it's been ok.

Thanks.

Bob

:lol: Hi Bob

We have these fitted to all our hire fleet and yes they do smoke after a fair bit of use, before you spend loadsa money on calling people out firstly get a service kit they are cheap basically a set of gaskets and get a new glow plug ( £15.50 ) on ebay and go onto YOU TUBE and type in Service Eberspacher and listen to Steve and just do it, bet it sorts it out and hey if not u aint spent much and you can take it from there. Nearly forgot it might be prudent to check the flame senser device as they need to be clean and do fail.

Regards

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

That sounds so easy it should be a pinned article, have you got the Utube link??

:lol: Hi

I am a dinosaur re links etc but just go on you tube and type in eberspacher and hey presto there it is............. :lol:

Hi

currently have the same problem with my eber hydronic d5, although not blue smoke but white smoke. Blue smoke sounds odd as thats usually the exhaust produced through the burning of oil for example in an engine. white smoke is often due to incomplete combustion and black smoke for over load.

saying that i'm not sure why these units seem notorious for producing excessive exhaust smoke and hope to have mine serviced next week. one thing i wonder is that i fitted a silencer last month which has a drain hole in the bottom for condensation, and hence blows a steady stream of exhaust into the engine bay. Maybe this is entering the unit and effecting the combustion.

andy

Andy

A drain hole at the bottom of the silencer, that is scary, is it a genuine Eberspacher part ? Sounds very dodgy to be letting exhaust gases into the engine compartment.

Just to confirm whgat has been written above, I bought a gasket kit for the 2 gaskets between the burner and combustion chamber, watched the Youtube video until I understood it, followed the details and cleaned everything out and have gone from an EB that took 3 goes to light and produced lots of smoke for the first 5 minutes of oepration to one that lights first time without smoke, all for about £15 and a couple of hours work.

Peterf

Just to confirm whgat has been written above, I bought a gasket kit for the 2 gaskets between the burner and combustion chamber, watched the Youtube video until I understood it, followed the details and cleaned everything out and have gone from an EB that took 3 goes to light and produced lots of smoke for the first 5 minutes of oepration to one that lights first time without smoke, all for about £15 and a couple of hours work.

Peterf

:lol: And no call out charges............ :lol:

ebay linky

And another

Any use? :lol:

Thanks :lol: , I should have been more specific , I've also got the Hydronic D5 WSC as featured in the video . The kits on E-Bay are for the D2/D4 Airtronic and I'm not sure they will fit.

I'll also mention that I e-mailed 3 different parts suppliers who also market these kits asking about the D5 and no one replied. Perhaps I'll get away with using a gasket gel , but where to get a cheap glow plug ?.

Thanks :lol: , I should have been more specific , I've also got the Hydronic D5 WSC as featured in the video . The kits on E-Bay are for the D2/D4 Airtronic and I'm not sure they will fit.

I'll also mention that I e-mailed 3 different parts suppliers who also market these kits asking about the D5 and no one replied. Perhaps I'll get away with using a gasket gel , but where to get a cheap glow plug ?.

You could try emailing this ebay dealer :lol:

Good luck.

Thanks I've just e-mailed them :lol:

No reply from them.

An update for others searching for Eber parts :-

Midland Chandlers do not supply parts at the moment though they are considering it.

I have found a source at www.derbyautoelectrical.co.uk

As it's close to my base I visited and got a gasket set for the D5 Hydronics WSC for 10 pounds and some pennies , I was quoted 60+ for a glowplug which seems reasonable. I don't know if they post though.

So far I've stripped down the Eber following the video . Had to drill out an M5 12 and an M5 35 bolt , they were really tight.

I'll let you all know in a couple of days how it all works out.

Be aware that it is not usually the glow plug that is the problem but the 'Lining with O rings for glow plug' or 'plug filter' which is part 16 on the Eberspacher assembly drawing. This is just a small mesh that surrounds the glow plug. This may well be worth replacing before trying anything else.

If you do replace the glow plug you either need the special tool or be prepared to fiddle a bit to diconnect and reconnect the terminals into the controler connector.

Edited by Satellite

Be aware that it is not usually the glow plug that is the problem but the 'Lining with O rings for glow plug' or 'plug filter' which is part 16 on the Eberspacher assembly drawing. This is just a small mesh that surrounds the glow plug. This may well be worth replacing before trying anything else.

If you do replace the glow plug you either need the special tool or be prepared to fiddle a bit to diconnect and reconnect the terminals into the controler connector.

Thanks for that advice.

Having already binned two heaters previously after spending more than 300 quid on servicing , I'm amazed that I'm getting sucked in ( suckered in ) again.

This heater has been sitting in my new boat for 4 years unused as I have installed a bubble. I got inspired by the servicing video on U-Tube and decided to have a go. I'll not be forking out for any major components but I don't mind doing a dekoke every few months.

Having said that I've just bought the timer with fault reset from E-Bay , another 80 quid gone - duh!

Hi all..

Thank you for your help...I have it all running fine now...

I decoked the gauze using a tea spoon that I bent the handle through nearly 180 degrees and filed semi-flat....and used it to carefully scrape and lift/extract the coke.

I then tested the metering pump as per the book....made a dummy glow plug using a cabin bulb...measured the voltage at the control unit...and pumped the fuel into a plastic cup (bottom of a plastic coke bottle ) ...which I had previously weighed. I then put it on my kitchen scales (which has a M litre setting ) and found that it matched the Eberspacher chart exactly.

New glow plug and it has now been running for some weeks.

Thanks all for your help.

Bob

Hi all..

Thank you for your help...I have it all running fine now...

I decoked the gauze using a tea spoon that I bent the handle through nearly 180 degrees and filed semi-flat....and used it to carefully scrape and lift/extract the coke.

I then tested the metering pump as per the book....made a dummy glow plug using a cabin bulb...measured the voltage at the control unit...and pumped the fuel into a plastic cup (bottom of a plastic coke bottle ) ...which I had previously weighed. I then put it on my kitchen scales (which has a M litre setting ) and found that it matched the Eberspacher chart exactly.

New glow plug and it has now been running for some weeks.

Thanks all for your help.

Bob

I'm glad you got it sorted. I've had a D5W sitting in the workshop for a few years - not had the courage to install in the boat because of all the negative comments about Ebers on this site. I know this topic has been done to death before now, but, with that joke in mind about "if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have ..." is there anyone out there who thinks installing an Eber is a good idea?

Philip