Cable lugs

WotEver

Featured Posts

Hi to the collective :lol:

Can anyone recommend a good source for cable lugs (all sizes, from starter cables down)?

And a decent cable supplier too while we're at it?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Hi to the collective :lol:

Can anyone recommend a good source for cable lugs (all sizes, from starter cables down)?

And a decent cable supplier too while we're at it?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Rapid Electronics Colchester for the connectors

Any electrical wholesaler for the cable in 100m lengths

Rapid Electronics Colchester for the connectors

Any electrical wholesaler for the cable in 100m lengths

Wow, they're cheap for the connectors, Chris - thanks.

Yeah, I've always bought my cable from CEF ('cos they're local and I know the sales guy) but I figured it was worth asking on here :lol:

Edited by WotEver

i have very recently bought a load of copper tube lugs (battery cable crimp on terminals) first i went to CEF as i was told they hire a crimper, they do, 15 quid a day but ontly to traders, and theur lugs were 91p plus vat each for the 50mm ones, and only about 5p cheaper for the 35mm ones.

VWP were about 70p plus for the 50mm ones,

in the end i ordered them from the site box and paid 28p each or the 50mm ones, 22p for the 35mm ones and 17p for the 16mm ones,

for the crimper, i bought a hydraulic lug crimper from ebay for 30 quid plus a tenner next day delivery, does upto 70mm crimps it says, but the dies are marked oddly... need to use the 35mm one for 50mm lugs... i.e. the dies are sized for the uncrimped size!!... so that means it can crimp larger than 70mm square terminals,

it's obviousely a chinese tool, but it worked fine for the 48 crimps i did the other day, i have arthritis so was wondering if i could handle a plier type crimper, people usually mount them in a vise too, the hydraulic crimper was just the right size to hold in one hand and pump the handle with the other,

but it took me 4 days to do all the cables (again my arthritis, could only do so many then had to stop for the day) but it'd have cost be twice the hydraulic crimpers cost to hire one.

For cable, again i tried CEF and VWP, i wanted 12 meters of 50mm cable, VWP do 40 or 60mm, and for 12 meters would have been 70 or 105 plus vat!!

i got my cable from the welders warehouse 50mm stuff, £4.60 a meter inc vat, so 55 squids for the cable size i wanted, fiver postage, i ordered at 16:30, it was at my door at 07:45 the very next day.

and it's damn good stuff, very flexiable, and the insulation is made to be dragged along the floor and over sharp bits of metal all day every day.

they do 35 and 25mm sq cable, it's black only tho, dunno if that's a problem, for me i used red heatshrink on the pos. leads.

i replaced some cables in my motorhome, the one i had for the main chassis earth from the batteries, i had used 35mm stuff i'd bought from VWP 5 years ago, this stuff was no where as flexiable as the welding cable, made a real differance snaking it into position and getting the angle i wanted the lug to sit at when tightened down,

i also replaced the inverter cables, my inverter is a wenchi brand, pure sine wave jobbie, and came with some 35mm cables 1 meter long, when i took the covers off the pretty gold plated lugs i saw the terminals had been 'crimped' by squishing them in a vise, and one of em came out when i tugged at it,

so now i have some nice big 50sqmm cables with proper hexaganol crimped terminals on each end, ok they arent prettily gold plated, but i'm not in the habit of parking up nect to the boy racers and inviting them to look at my gold plated inverter connections, so i can live with tinned copper lugs :lol:

... for the crimper, i bought a hydraulic lug crimper from ebay for 30 quid plus a tenner next day delivery...

Yeah, I have one of those too - paid £31 for it but the next day carriage was less, so only cost £38 delivered.

Thanks for all the other tips. I knew it would be worth asking the question on here.

T :lol:

• 11 years later...