Awful awful locks on gu

Mary 1

Featured Posts

First locks I ever worked were the Huddersfield Broad followed by Calder and Hebble. I could barely stand by the end of the day. However, I could open all the gates, on my own, which is more than I can say for Buckby, where I have had to admit defeat, on occasion.

edited to say this is not a moan, I know it is largely the combination of big gates and short beams, rather than lack of maintenance, whereas the Yorkshire ones (in 2006) were badly maintained (although that's not a moan either)

We're heading for the L&L this summer. Do I need to start extra Weetabix rations now?

NO do as popeye did, spin age

M

The Buckby gates can wobble a bit before moving, but the only real problems I had coming down them on Friday were

1. the two canaltime boats going the other way who left every set of top paddles open.

and

2. The www.canalscape.com blue narrowboat which was moored and empty on the lock bollards at lock 12(buckby 2nd bottom). (should bloody know better) was left there until saturday morning after 10. It was previously moored almost blocking the A45 bridge at Braunston for a week.

If they are the worst, i look forward to the next week, moving down towards London.

For the women having trouble with lock gates - get yourselves a REAL man. Problem solved.

Sue

Sorry, I have to come back to this. If it had been said by a bloke it would be seen as downright offensive. I don't see that it makes a lot of difference if said by a woman. It is crass to say the very least.

It implies that, for those of us who do have male partners, if we still find Buckby difficult, our partners are not 'real' men.

We do not know anything about the OP or other lone female boaters, who might be widows or escaping from violent relationships, which is why it is a crassly thoughtless comment.

And it also trivialises the issue by saying that, if there is anything on the system that is too heavy or difficult for a section of the boating population, nothing needs be done about it, we can just get someone else to do it. (I appreciate that it is inevitable with Buckby, but there are many other examples)

People who proudly say they're 'not politically correct' usually mean that they relish being offensive, at least to certain sections of the population.

The Buckby gates can wobble a bit before moving, but the only real problems I had coming down them on Friday were

1. the two canaltime boats going the other way who left every set of top paddles open.

Naughty naughty, but, I noted with interest on the archive video that if you have to close the gates anyway, dropping the paddles adds only a very small amount of additional work, and in a situation where the gates are left open (not that one would these days of course...) leaving the paddles too probably does represent an overall labour saving... Not that I'm advocating either, it just struck me.

Sorry you find my post offensive. My opinions of men who watch women struggle with difficult locks whilst holding on to their tiller would be offensive as well. Just because I didn't say the locks needed fixing doesn't mean that they don't. I hadn't commented on the faults with the canal system. Maybe the system should be able to be worked by the disabled.

Sue

Sorry you find my post offensive. My opinions of men who watch women struggle with difficult locks whilst holding on to their tiller would be offensive as well. Just because I didn't say the locks needed fixing doesn't mean that they don't. I hadn't commented on the faults with the canal system. Maybe the system should be able to be worked by the disabled.

Sue

Surely any "real man" would be steering the boat and then disembarking to work the locks whilst his little lady is making dinner and getting herself ready for bed.

I see a lot of "seventy something" and "80 something" boaters on the GU. (Daniel's grandfather Tom, for example, sometimes single hands a big heavy steam narrow boat single handed, but is I believe in his eighties).

Many are exceedingly competent, very fit, but no longer particularly phyiscally strong.

Should the only go boating through locks if they can get themselves a "real" young person ?

Naughty naughty, but, I noted with interest on the archive video that if you have to close the gates anyway, dropping the paddles adds only a very small amount of additional work, and in a situation where the gates are left open (not that one would these days of course...) leaving the paddles too probably does represent an overall labour saving... Not that I'm advocating either, it just struck me.

Indeed, it also struck me that if the convention was leave the paddles open then it would, as you say, not add much to the work of the next boat but make it much easier for the boat(s) leaving the lock.

Though I am someone who believes firmly that, unless there's a good reason to the contrary, gates should be left open and there's nothing more annoying than a lock with the gates closed and a foot of water in it.

My opinions of men who watch women struggle with difficult locks whilst holding on to their tiller would be offensive as well.

But, (at risk of getting criticised myself!), it is true that there are many women boating who really do prefer not to steer. It surprises me now many, but they are, and are clearly not just saying that because their man has told them to.

Whilst it may seem illogical to you, there are therefore boating combinations where there are good reasons why it's the apparently weaker person doing the locks.

I have been surprised to hear of the health problems people do have. One boater's wife looks very fit, particularly riding her bike, but apparently has a condition where standing for any length of time is not an option. Hence the man usually works the boat, and the woman the locks.

Also just because a bloke looks fit, is 6 feet tall and 14 stone, also doesn't necessarily mean he is not recovering from recent open-hearth surgery, of course!

I see a lot of "seventy something" and "80 something" boaters on the GU. (Daniel's grandfather Tom, for example, sometimes single hands a big heavy steam narrow boat single handed, but is I believe in his eighties).

Many are exceedingly competent, very fit, but no longer particularly phyiscally strong.

Should the only go boating through locks if they can get themselves a "real" young person ?

I wasn't ageist. Real men come in all ages.

Sue

Buckby locks have always been hard work, mainly because of the short balance beams on fairly deep gates, but they are not awful, and are in generally very good condition. Of course they would be easier if the beams were longer, but that would also entail widening the lock platforms which would be impossible on some locks because of obstructions.

We go uo and down the Buckby flight on a regular basis, and I frequently see people heaving and tugging trying to move the bottom gates, rather than useing their own weight to do the job properly. If you have ever seen a horse start to move a heavy cart,(or boat) it doesnt make a lot of fuss, it just leans forward into it's collar until it's own weight starts to move the cart, only then does it start to pull. it is the same with lock gates.

I weigh 57 kilos. Not much weight behind that! :lol:

However, I just tend to dig my heels in, lean back, and straighten my legs, which gets them going.

Still not sure what you mean by a 'real' man and how you differentiate one from all those presumably fake ones out there. Could you elucidate please?

Real men don't eat quiche.

Edited by carlt

I've got a real man at least I think he is because I haven't found the plug to open him and let the air out of him yet................... :lol:

But I do agree the Buckby flight are horrendous; worse than anything I've worked on the LL. In fact they are reason I've not posted since much since our holidays - I've only just recovered and got my breath back :lol: But I did find going down was better than going up...............I have no idea why...............

A couple of years ago we were descending the Buckby locks and in one lock (can't remember which one) were amazed to find that despite the top paddles being closed and the bottom fully open the boat was actually rising!

It could certainly be a poor maintenance thing, but on the GU it is quite normal when water levels are high.

Water often runs over the top of the sluices for the side paddles at upper pound levels less than necessary to make it flow over top gates. This produces an effect exactly the same as gate paddles being part drawn.

We regularly see this down the Marsworth flight, where running water down the bywashes often results in pound levels being very high. Quite a few of those locks will self fill in a very short space of time. It doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem with top gates and/or paddles, though.

I'm not sure either, but if you've got one it seems a waste to wear him out opening lock gates. :lol:

Is it too cheeky to suggest that if you have a "real" man, it seems odd to suggest in several previous posts that single beds is the way to go when designing your boat layout.

Coat !

It could certainly be a poor maintenance thing, but on the GU it is quite normal when water levels are high.

Water often runs over the top of the sluices for the side paddles at upper pound levels less than necessary to make it flow over top gates. This produces an effect exactly the same as gate paddles being part drawn.

We regularly see this down the Marsworth flight, where running water down the bywashes often results in pound levels being very high. Quite a few of those locks will self fill in a very short space of time. It doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem with top gates and/or paddles, though.

Yes, it is a regular thing on Buckby, I think due to the back pumps. That said however, and for all the sexist comments on here, we have both been working Buckby for almost 40 years and last year was the worst ever. We haven't tried yet since January 1st 2009 and have been assured by the local BW foreman that they have been 'improved'. Due to lockwheel them again next week, (for a real Boat) so will find out. The gates were certainly not balanced last year but 'Bradley' had been out to them. The bottom gates of the top lock were re-fitted during the winter and certainly seem to have been improved, judging by other peoples efforts when we have been sitting in the New Inn. Bottom Lock bottom paddles needed two windlasses on to start them the last time we operated them. This is the reason so many boating friends ask us if we are around to help them through the flight. My choice of words would be diabolical.

Is it too cheeky to suggest that if you have a "real" man, it seems odd to suggest in several previous posts that single beds is the way to go when designing your boat layout.

Coat !

Surely the Real Man ™ is sleeping in a bivouac next to the towpath, where he sets snares for hares, and provides food and sustenance for the weak female? :lol: