Anyone know this wood?

Dominic M

Featured Posts

For what its worth IMHO its elm veneer or a printed and laminated photograph of it. We have commisioned a dining suite which has been delivered recently in elm with burr elm panels on the chairs, inlaid in the table and doors to the cabinet. The colouring and grain pattern is quite distinctive for elm - the colour does vary from tree to tree - our cabinet maker had some problems in matching timbers as he was not able to purchase enough good timber from one tree when needed. If any of the trad boat owners which still have elm bottoms would care to get a plane out I would bet that somewhere they would find a plank that looked like the grain in the door in question.

Yep - I think burr elm too. The grain of the un-burred wood is so distinctive.

maple_burr.jpg maple burr

ElmBurr_307.jpg elm burr

birdseye_maple_307.jpg birdseye maple

sycamore_burr_307.jpg sycamore burr

Sycamore for me

Better still would be a bit of fiddleback sycamore a 1 in a thousand tree no wonder Stradivari's fiddles cost so much. Keep yer eyes peeled as you potter up and down the cut! Keep yer chainsaw sharp and ready for action.

fiddlebacksycamore.jpg

Edited by sparky2