Naff Equipment

mayalld

Featured Posts

But looks ever so pretty up until that point :lol:

It only looks pretty if your view of aesthetics is unfettered by a knowledge of the practicalities.

Anything that renders a piece of equipment non-functional makes it look ugly in my eyes

I don't have GPS...but I do have a gadget I bought in Maplins so I wouldn't lose the boat.

My wife and I become terribly convinced of our sense of direction and have often walked miles the wrong way.

We bought a little key ring thingy that you press the button when you get off the boat and it records the GPS position.

When you walk away a series of arrows light up around the edge to point where the boat is.

Which is more usless...this gadget...or is it....US !!

We've done worse than that. We came across a picture of our boat in one of the mags and bought a picture off the photographer!

Richard

He was a bit surprised that we weren't Alvechurch

Ah the price of fame - did you get the negative too...? (just jesting) a nice compliment that some one figures your boats worth a picture and publishing it, unless its in the "black museum section"

I'll go back to polishing my brass rocker covers...

I don't have GPS...but I do have a gadget I bought in Maplins so I wouldn't lose the boat.

My wife and I become terribly convinced of our sense of direction and have often walked miles the wrong way.

We bought a little key ring thingy that you press the button when you get off the boat and it records the GPS position.

When you walk away a series of arrows light up around the edge to point where the boat is.

Which is more usless...this gadget...or is it....US !!

I think that's a brilliant idea! A few times when I've gone for a walk, gotten turned around, gone down a hill I would have sworn I should I have gone up, and gone back to the towpath via a different bridge entirely I've had stop and think "erm ... which way ...?"

Edited by Chris J W

I think that's a brilliant idea! A few times when I've gone for a walk, gotten turned around, gone down a hill I would have sworn I should I have gone up, and gone back to the towpath via a different bridge entirely I've had stop and think "erm ... which way ...?"

You don't think its naf...?

It was about £39 and is keyring sized.

Bob

I was bridge-hopping as usual in my semi-trad gin-palace the other day. The fenders were down (you can't be too careful, that's why I keep my lifejacket on at all times), and my centre line was nicely flemished on the roof, just behind the wood pile and the buckby cans. A gentle breeze was blowing, enough to ruffle my pirate flag but not enough to dislodge my jaunty captain's hat, or the rope hanging from my novelty tiller pin. I had my alloy windlass in it's holster, ready for use, but half concealed by my traditional waistcoat. As I pulled away from the bank and clicked off the bowthruster, I suddenly thought, "Am I the most hated man on the network?"...

I was bridge-hopping as usual in my semi-trad gin-palace the other day. The fenders were down (you can't be too careful, that's why I keep my lifejacket on at all times), and my centre line was nicely flemished on the roof, just behind the wood pile and the buckby cans. A gentle breeze was blowing, enough to ruffle my pirate flag but not enough to dislodge my jaunty captain's hat, or the rope hanging from my novelty tiller pin. I had my alloy windlass in it's holster, ready for use, but half concealed by my traditional waistcoat. As I pulled away from the bank and clicked off the bowthruster, I suddenly thought, "Am I the most hated man on the network?"...

Everybody loves a clown.

No. you haven't got the GPS out yet or the lager or radio handsets. Your paintwork isn't shiny enough and you asked at the last locks before opening the paddles for another boat. Your knowledge of the "rules and regulations" is as yet untested and I see you have left your red neckerchief on the bunk. Even your radio is only playing quietly.

Richard

What a dilemma. To fly the pirate flag or the Red Duster...

You don't think its naf...?

It was about £39 and is keyring sized.

Nope. I think it's a boffo one! Whilst my sense of direction isn't really THAT bad, I can think of times it would have been useful. Also - I've a friend that can never find her car when in large carparks, so she'd love it too.

Electric winch and wire rope instead of mooring ropes

Now come on Dave, be serious. Who in their right mind would be so daft as to have such a thing on their boat?

Next you'll be telling me they chrome plate the things.

T :lol:

Unless you had your windlass earings in....

Now come on Dave, be serious. Who in their right mind would be so daft as to have such a thing on their boat?

Next you'll be telling me they chrome plate the things.

T :lol:

I was gobsmacked when I saw it.

The guy even had one of those wireless control boxes, so he could stand on the towpath and adjust his moorings remotely.

The guy even had one of those wireless control boxes, so he could stand on the towpath and adjust his moorings remotely.

If he had some disability that made mooring up using normal ropes a bit of an issue, then I'd say it sounds a good idea.

Lager

Cider

Multi-tone air horns

"clever" puns as boat names

Pram hoods

Electric winch and wire rope instead of mooring ropes

Ahh, but very handy for DIY slippage ... attach to a tree atop a sloping bank, switch on, and presto ! boat neatly out of the water :lol:

But, please would you folks slow down ? I'm trying to take notes, but my shopping list for the chandlers is getting longer than my arm :lol:

How about adding a police style radar gun, so that a happy moored up member of the "slow down" brigade can really make his case.

Modern technology should make it possible that it can assess the speed of an approaching boat, then remotely control these winches to introduce exactly the right amount of slack in the lines, so that the "moored" boat gets moved about enough to let it's owner have a real go at the offender.......

If he had some disability that made mooring up using normal ropes a bit of an issue, then I'd say it sounds a good idea.

He could have his own "winch versus bowthruster" competition, to see which was the stronger......

Alloy windlass ..yep got one ..not always used but I do like it

15" Bras searchlight.. got one of those too somewhere in a box in the lock up..but I prefer my old car headlamp that is on the boat

Tiller pin... we have several all old fireside items except for my old one which was cast using a friends one as a pattern 30 odd years ago

Centre rope is "cheesed"down when not in use but run back to the slide when travelling

Leather hat Guilty

Narrowboat on rivers VERY guilty

Oh I better sell the boat and buy a nice safe motorhome

I will sell you a motorhome if you like :lol:

Sue