Baldock gets a makeover

Featured Posts

During our years of ownership we have tackled several of the major areas that needed attention when Lise and I purchased her

The cooling system and drydock was first, then removal of the front well deck and associated damp patches caused by non draining decks etc lead to the tug deck being fitted

( Please note that all work we have carried out or had done in no way affects the original boat so it can be returned to carrying condition if a later owner chooses)

This year along with changes internally Lise and I made a decision to get the outside looking a bit tidier

The current paintwork had been on there for over 10 years and was in very poor condition with rust patches etc showing through, up to this point we have been sanding back and treating them but it was getting like the Forth Bridge !

So with intrepidation she was booked into High Line Yachting's wet dock at Cowley Peachy for a much needed makeover

On Sat 6th June we managed to get her into the dock ( Deep draught + silt build up in dock entrance) and we got to work

Lise was busy sanding down the fore end, Mick our friend who was helping started on the sides and I had the job of the roof which some "kind person" had previously painted in a rubberised floor paint ! 2 days to get it all off ! 96 sanding discs and 1 BFO Wire cup brush .

Lise had to hoover the dock walkways several times with the Dyson because the thick red dust was getting everywhere.. By Tues we were ready to start applying paint, whilst Lise wanted to do the fore end herself we both still had to go to work, so we were lucky enough to find that Sarah Brooks a local boat painter was free at that time so in she came armed with rollers, brushes and tea mug

After two weeks of very long hours for all of us we emerged into the day light on Friday 19th, all that was left to was a bit of touching up and the all important sign writing.

Lise and I had seen Clover,Fazely and Hare owned by Mike Pinnock ( Snr and Jnr ) and Several of Bargeeboys boats who had had the art work done by "SignySteve" several calls later Steve arrived yesterday morning from Walsall to apply the finishing touches. We have nothing but praise for him in how he has executed it.

So three we have it Baldock now looks resplendent in her new livery and a fitting 73rd Birthday present

Lots of hard work by Lise, Sarah, Mick, SignySteve and snagging by me........

08062009669.jpg

15062009731.jpg

15062009730.jpg

15062009729.jpg

18062009751.jpg

19062009771.jpg

19062009773-1.jpg

30062009796.jpg

30062009798-1.jpg

01072009803.jpg

01072009802.jpg

And the original Wren lent by Bargeeboy for reference purposes, Thanks mate that's another beer I owe you

01072009799.jpg

I thought I was going to see pictures of you cutting the conversion off!

Still looks very nice indeed, though.

As I said Carl, we have done nothing that cannot be changed by us or a future owner to deconvert her, Yes Lise and I would like to return her to carrying condition BUT she is also our home and compromises have to be made

Chris

As I said Carl, we have done nothing that cannot be changed by us or a future owner to deconvert her, Yes Lise and I would like to return her to carrying condition BUT she is also our home and compromises have to be made

No criticism intended, Chris!

I lived on a tar-boat, for long enough which would have been very impractical, with kids, if left as original.

(Actually the kids probably would have noticed the restricted headroom far less than me.)

No criticism intended, Chris!

I lived on a tar-boat, for long enough which would have been very impractical, with kids, if left as original.

(Actually the kids probably would have noticed the restricted headroom far less than me.)

LOL :lol: indeed Carl

C

Or for less money - Bristol

She's looking good Chris - did you sand down to any WW colouring?

Simon.

Unfortunantly not Simon, when R.W. purchased her in 1989/90 from Foxton Boat Services he had the original engine room and back cabin cut and the new conversion put on

Although most of the back cabin furniture and engine room stuff remained including the soft patch the cabins were lost :lol:

After much extensive research work by Lise ( and a few calls by me to friends) we found that although Baldock had been on the WW-CTS contract she had PROBABLY never been painted in WW-CTS colours.

For the historians and purists out there who have said and will comment " In that case you should not have painted her in this colour scheme" we do have a very good answer.

Lise and I own the company, so we have repainted her in OUR company colours :lol:

As our favourite pink pachyderm isn't allowed to post in this bit, he asked me to add the following ...

"Cor!! she looks luverly, unkl baldock. dat mean i cant drop bun crumbs onna her now?"