Trying to put together my PRM gearbox.

casper ghost

Featured Posts

Hi.

I've replaced all the seals and O rings in my PRM140s gearbox, now putting it back together, only trouble is i'm a bit stuck with the input shaft and the manual doesn't help me.

The toothed ring to the left of the clutch plates ( believe it may be called the emergency splined ring) can fit either side of a plate which hangs from the top of the gearbox. Not sure which side it was on when I took it apart :lol: . The 2 pics show it in the 2 different places. Anybody know where it should go?? If it's as the bottom pic it fits into the clutch assembly.

sleepyhollowbuild241.jpg

sleepyhollowbuild.jpg

HELP PLEASE

Hi.

I've replaced all the seals and O rings in my PRM140s gearbox, now putting it back together, only trouble is i'm a bit stuck with the input shaft and the manual doesn't help me.

Try giving PRM a ring. They are very helpful.

Hi.

The toothed ring to the left of the clutch plates ( believe it may be called the emergency splined ring) can fit either side of a plate which hangs from the top of the gearbox. Not sure which side it was on when I took it apart :lol: . The 2 pics show it in the 2 different places. Anybody know where it should go?? If it's as the bottom pic it fits into the clutch assembly.

sleepyhollowbuild241.jpg

sleepyhollowbuild.jpg

HELP PLEASE

I'll readily admit that I'm no expert on the inside of PRMs but, using my engineering nouse after a lifetime in the garage/motor industry I would have thought that the lower picture arrangement is the correct one. I say that because it looks to me as though there are two fingers of a retaining plate that prevent the hub 'walking' and these seem much better fitting in the lower picture. The upper picture shows the fingers not apparently near anything and the hub able to walk.

I stand to be shot down of course but that picture two would be my guess.

Roger

Edited to add: I've just thought, are there any wear marks on the inside/outside of those fingers that I've mentioned? If there are and they are the same diameter as the larger diameter of the hub then you can deduce the correct positioning from that (assuming it was put together correctly in the first place of course :lol: )

Edited by Albion

Hi.

The bottom picture is with the box in "get you home" mode or used when the hydraulics fail. The toothed ring locks the clutch/gear to the shaft so the box is jammed in that gear mechanically.

The forked plate is used to hold the ring out of the way when the box is under hydraulic operation.

I think!

Just make sure the ring is fitted to the ahead clutch system, otherwise in an emergency you go backwards :lol:

The bottom picture is with the box in "get you home" mode or used when the hydraulics fail. The toothed ring locks the clutch/gear to the shaft so the box is jammed in that gear mechanically.

The forked plate is used to hold the ring out of the way when the box is under hydraulic operation.

I think!

Just make sure the ring is fitted to the ahead clutch system, otherwise in an emergency you go backwards :lol:

Phew, good job you're here then Tony to give the correct definition. :lol:

Roger

Tony to the rescue again... Thanks.

I Guess that's why the ring is called the emergency ring. The plate that holds it away can be accessed easily from the top of the box so what you say makes sense. Also i've had another look at it and it has no wear on the teeth.

I'll put it together as in the top pic. :lol: