life jackets

gaggle

Featured Posts

any info on life jackets, bouyancy aids for children?

suitable babies to teenage yrs.

what price, type and best place to buy.any ideas anyone.

gaggle

28657[/snapback]

As I understand it life jackets will hold you up in the water even if you are unconcious, wheras bouyancy aids will help keep you afloat if you are still concious. Non swimmers should also always have life jackets, preferably the type with an automatic inflation system.

If you are looking for Life jackets, try eBay, there are always lots for children on there, usually worn but never used. Whats more you can probably sell them on there in a few years time when the children have outgriown them.

Different types of lifejacket for different ages and size of child.

Fixed, these are better for the very small but can be a problem in the warm weather as they are covered with a water resistent material and the younster can sweat something awful.

Auto inflation ones are better for the more active younster as they are smaller and less likely to hinder movement. The autoinflate can operate in the wet weather so if it is raining put it under a loose fitting waterproof.

For the more adult folk there is the pull to inflate type which again are easier and more comfortable to wear.

Prices ; for the pull to inflate £40

Auto inflate come in at £55 or so

Fixed lifejackets are about £30

Flotation aids are usually priced in the £25 range.

I buy mine at Hartlepool Marine Supplies which is fairly local to where I live. I have found that away from the canals the prices are better than the chandlers who have a lower turn over than the ones at a port.

With the inflatable jackets the recommendation is to change the CO2 cylinder and auto inflate mechanism every two years.

I have worked on the fact that cost doesn't come into it where my kids are concerned and so have steered away from second hand units as I have had no idea if they have used and abused or not.

Once you have them then the hardest thing will be setting up the rule about when and where they are to be worn. Decide and then stick to it and the rule works all year even in the summer folk fall in the water - I have.

We use the same ones as Matt has posted. We spent a long time at Excel this year looking at lifejackets/bouyancy aids for the kids.

Toby - aged 18 months - happily wears his all the time he is on the boat all day. It only comes off when he goes for his mid-day nap.

We got him used to wearing it at home before he ever came on the boat and this was helped by the fact that our dogs wear Crewsaver Petfloats.

As we understand it you shouldn't put young children in the autoinflate ones because they can sometimes not inflate and need the pull pulling (the jacket not the kid).

No one would disagree with the principle of young children wearing life jackets but it as well to be reminded that drowning is not the main danger on canals, general falls and getting trapped between boat and bank is a more common occurrence, we must be careful that a life jacket does not give a false sense of security.

No one would disagree with the principle of young children wearing life jackets but it as well to be reminded that drowning is not the main danger on canals, general falls and getting trapped between boat and bank is a more common occurrence, we must be careful that a life jacket does not give a false sense of security.

28703[/snapback]

your point is well taken john thanks.

with seven of my own to watch a well as the friends they all insist must come with us as well i am going to need eyes in my **** as well as the back of my head.

safety on the cut is now being drummed in every single day.six weeks holiday from school and every day has been spent on the towpath listening to good advice from all who are willing to give it.

the next lesson i hope to arrange is a dip fully clothed in the swimming baths,this i hope will show fully the difference having clothes on will make to their ability to swim.

"the next lesson i hope to arrange is a dip fully clothed in the swimming baths"

Well done Gaggle. At our Reservoir based Sailing Club we used to hold "Buoyancy Aid Familiarisation" for our kids since the Water Board said "No Swimming Allowed" I always thought it was a bit late to wait for an emergency to find out how different it was floating and swimming wearing a jacket.

The other thing we used to drum into them was to put on their jacket as soon as they get out of the car. You can just as easily drown falling off the dock or pontoon as off the boat.

Don't worry it eventually becomes 2nd nature for them.

Different types of lifejacket for different ages and size of child.

For the more adult folk there is the pull to inflate type which again are easier and more comfortable to wear.

28679[/snapback]

Being an adult doesn't stop you banging your head when falling in and knocking yourself unconcious! :unsure:

Regards

Howard Anguish

You're supposed to be an A level student!

BTW How did you do?

B B B

Which mean i missed getting in on the Meng, which was ABB, But i can still get in on the Beng (BBC)

- But all is not lost, the first two years are the same, so assuming i do well, i'll just switch up to the Meng after the first year, and contine as per planA!

- So come October i'll be at loughbough learning stuff!! (mechanical engineering)

Daniel

i have managed to acquire 5 life jackets in varying sizes for the grandchildren to wear when visiting. I have never paid more than £5 my last one was still in the packet never worn which I got for £3 all bought at car boot sales.