Tree Class motors of the Severn & Canal Carrying Company

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Beech, ("Olive") when hired by "Catrin's" family for a holiday in 1969.

All photos copyright Phil Quick.

If I correctly remember the story, this young lady had just fallen in, but I'll not embarrass her by saying who it is!

I gave a potted history of all 8 Charles Hill & Sons Ltd. built 'Severners' in post number 28 of this thread, all of which came from my own records (not publications or the internet !).

Thanks for those photos, Alan!

And yes, Pete, I did see that, very useful, thanks!

Edited by Black Ibis

Boy, are you in trouble Fincher!

You'd better start hiding the embarrassing photos of you, before I get home.

I had a perm that looked a bit like that in the mid seventies

Good looking girl whoever it is

I had a perm that looked a bit like that in the mid seventies

It ain't a perm - when I tell people my hair is naturally curly they don't believe me.

It's not as curly as it was, but it still takes quite a lot to keep it under control - keeping it longer helps, as does keeping it out of the rain.

Boy, are you in trouble Fincher!

You'd better start hiding the embarrassing photos of you, before I get home.

It was an honest attempt to show the finer detail of the unusual sideways facing T-stud, and that unusual deck hatch that are a feature of those SCCCo motors that this thread is about.

I suppose I could have tried to Photoshop ou the young lady, whoever she is.....

I gave a potted history of all 8 Charles Hill & Sons Ltd. built 'Severners' in post number 28 of this thread, all of which came from my own records (not publications or the internet !).

Yes, thanks, Pete. On my "to do" list for the blog and the information we gave to HNBC for the website is to add references, so it's easy to see where information comes from, and where possible to quote from printed sources and try and avoid Internet hearsay. We're also planning on heading to the archives, as Gloucester county council archives have S&CCCo's records, as well as the waterways museum.

Most of what we have so far is from Alan Faulkner's article in Narrow Boat in 2006 on S&CCCo, your earlier post, and also an article by Simon Harrison in the HNBC newsletter that I believed you supplied a lot of information for.

Front end of "Alder" (if I have this right!), now with new back end, and confusingly called "Ash 2"

Denhan - Grand Union - May 2009

IMG_2623_zps3477577d.jpg

IMG_2624_zps582a45f9.jpg

"Pine"

Shropshire Union - August 2012

IMG_2915_zpsfbee4db9.jpg

IMG_2916_zpscffc6de5.jpg

I saw Olive come up the Severn into Diglis in high flood with Lionel Tonks. When Denny Merril Lock Keeper asked him why the locks hadn't telephoned he said he came over the fields and missed them. A BIT FRIGTENING WITH BARBED WIRE FENCES.

• 1 year later...

I think this is the deconverted former "Ash 2", now carrying the name "M.B. Ash". Photographed at Paddington 9th March 2014. The Forum won't grab images from Flickr so I'll have to give URL links instead:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/13100642535/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/13100905284/

The forum will grab images, just click on the square and arrow icon beside the picture and choose the 'pin' icon.

Capture_zps732f7143.jpg

13100642535_13a0d0dcae.jpg

Edited by IanM

I think this is the deconverted former "Ash 2", now carrying the name "M.B. Ash". Photographed at Paddington 9th March 2014. The Forum won't grab images from Flickr so I'll have to give URL links instead:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/13100642535/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/13100905284/

Yep, that's most of Alder, now known as Ash (renamed by Waterways in the 50s to avoid confusion).

The "real" Ash is at Norton Canes.

Anybody know what happened to the wooden motor `York` or possibly `Cork` that was reputedly a Severner, don`t know the history but I looked at it in the early 1970`s and it was a bit if a mess then.

The 9hp Petter S that they fitted to these boats was woefully inadequate. They are nothing like as powerful as a bolinder pup. Also because they had a reversing gearbox fitted which gave a slight reduction in reverse the boatmen were instructed to reverse the engine by hand before setting off down the river with the current so they would put the gearbox in forwards to obtain reverse at full 1:1 to have the best chance of arresting their speed. "Wouldn't pull a greasy man out of bed" is the expression I believe!

John