More Old 1970s Photographs

Featured Posts

Ditto - I never knew you could do that - so here's one chosen at random but appropriate for the time of year -

attachicon.gifPeople walking on canal at Ansty (looking from main road bridge).jpg

Ansty, Christmas Day 1981

Wow, in the late 1970s I got a kitten (free to a good home) from the end cottage painted a creamy colour. Minutes earlier I nearly killed us by almost driving my Morris Minor onto the ice covered cut. I thought it was the road and stopped just in time. It was pitch black and about 8pm.

I still look at it every time I pass by boat and think ....GULP!

Or compose the text of your message, then click on "More Reply Options", and you get the opportunity to add a picture directly from your own computer - click on "Browse" to find the file, than "Attach This File" and when you are happy click on "Add Reply".

Hey thats brilliant !

Picture is my mother as a WREN in the war working as a P5.

post-4185-0-67191500-1450455857_thumb.jpg

Ditto - I never knew you could do that - so here's one chosen at random but appropriate for the time of year -

attachicon.gifPeople walking on canal at Ansty (looking from main road bridge).jpg

Ansty, Christmas Day 1981

Last time I saw the canal that well frozen me and a few friends were using it as a race track on mountain bikes (yes we were mad)

luckily the ice was about between 6 and 8 inches thick so none of us went through (or even cracked the ice)

• 2 weeks later...

very interesting read everyone, thank you.

The picture posting is still a mystery to me as every time I try to put a profile pic up I get a message that the file is too big.

Also very interesting hire boating around South Herts, we hired at least once from Berkhamsted, a couple of times from Watford (The boats were blue and yellow very bright and I think they were gas powered.)

I have pics somewhere but not sure how I get old photo's up, scan I guess.

Cheers and Happy New Year everyone

Hi Duchess, there is a resizing tool from Microsoft that fills the bill for resizing available here (free):

https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

jpeg format is the norm for most images, and the 'dimension' size measured in pixels is tiny for images for the CWDF avatar. This can be achieved through using the 'custom' setting on that little piece of software.

Shout if you get stuck.

• Greenie 1

We were iced in at Cowroast one winter, and with an invitation to charge our batteries on the mooring opposite, took to sledging across the ice with the batteries.

After '83, but before '86.

Hi,

Interesting picture, looks as though the marina is in operation, but what is the large gantry on the LH side if the pic?

Thanks, hope you are well, Wigginton now 'gentrified' Greyhound a bit upmarket.

L

Hi,

Interesting picture, looks as though the marina is in operation, but what is the large gantry on the LH side if the pic?

Thanks, hope you are well, Wigginton now 'gentrified' Greyhound a bit upmarket.

L

I've no idea which boat is under the gantry, but I don't recall the gantry being used or even able to lift boats out. Seem to recall it was for engine installations and such like. Boats were hauled up the slip on trolleys. There's a covered shed there now from what I can see on Google Maps.

Wigginton. Lived on the caravan site up past Champney's for just over nine years where one of the great train robbers allegedly hung out. Both pubs were alive then (early '69 - '78), as were both shops and the coal office (No1 Wick Lane up beside the Greyhound). A third shop was in the farm along The Twist. This was before the A41 carved up Oddy Hill down to London Lodge. Happy days, I enjoyed living there and seeking out the local historic places. The old school at the cross-roads was (I think) still a school. Certainly had the tarmac playground there, but uncertain as to when it was closed as a school.

Hi Duchess, there is a resizing tool from Microsoft that fills the bill for resizing available here (free):

https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

jpeg format is the norm for most images, and the 'dimension' size measured in pixels is tiny for images for the CWDF avatar. This can be achieved through using the 'custom' setting on that little piece of software.

Shout if you get stuck.

Thanks Derek, just downloaded the resizer, had a go at resizing a pic and yes hey, it made a "small" one.

Alas, still wont allow me to post it on my profile pic.

No other profile has ever done this to me.

So my pics will remain anonymous lol :)

Thanks Derek, just downloaded the resizer, had a go at resizing a pic and yes hey, it made a "small" one.

Alas, still wont allow me to post it on my profile pic.

No other profile has ever done this to me.

So my pics will remain anonymous lol smile.png

Hmm. My avatar is 89 x 90 pixels. It seems that 200px square is the current requirement. What size did you reduce your image to? If you just chose "small", it may still be too large. Click the "advanced" button and choose "custom" and reduce the dimensions to 200pixels or less. See what that does.

Hmm. My avatar is 89 x 90 pixels. It seems that 200px square is the current requirement. What size did you reduce your image to? If you just chose "small", it may still be too large. Click the "advanced" button and choose "custom" and reduce the dimensions to 200pixels or less. See what that does.

Thanks Derek, looks like it works lol.

• 3 years later...