Enhancing 3G reception.

Featured Posts

Does any body have any tips or know of any kit that enhances 3g broadband reception.

I personally just use a 5m usb extension i purchased cheap, this allows the dongle to be placed in a bag outside the boat (or any metal box you may be using the laptop in), or at least hang it in the window.

There was a thread about using a modified wok a few months ago, however the search engine won't like "wok"... If anyone can remember any of the oriental catering puns that came out they might be able to find it.

:lol:

Does any body have any tips or know of any kit that enhances 3g broadband reception.

I dangle my dongle in the middle of a wok hanging from the the top planks, got a wonderful piece of software called cheetahWatch to tell me the signal strength and rotate it until the best.

Best not to walk into the wok though.

I will get a satellite dish sometime but so impressed with the wok that it's not urgent.

I use my phone as a modem and it comminicates with the cumputer via Bluetooth. I can put it on the top plank under the cloths when the reception is bad.

Nick

Internet is important to my wife and I, and so I took the expensive option.

I purchased a full 3G amplifier unit on Ebay...£250..( make sure this is UK/ provider spec / frequency if you consider it)

Its proved an 'awesome' bit of kit. I have a receiving aerial in the cupboard in the lounge near where we sit. This picks up signals from the dongle..

There is then an amplifier unit and externally I put up my television pole which has a special flat panel aerial...about 6 inches square.

I'm currently travelling from Rugby down to Paddington and there have been places in the country with zero signal without the unit being on.

When I put it on...it pulls in a full band signal....

Amazingly effective...but you need to decide how much you need it.

I use a 3 dongle on pay as you go, and I have 3 Gig monthly download / fair usage which I top up for £5 / month.

Prior to this I tried the external mag-base aerial plugged into a socket on the 3 dongle, but it didn't do very much.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Many years ago I had a beta version of 3G running in the boat, when I reported back to the engineers at Vodafone I mentioned a lack of signal strength at my home mooring and within a few hours I had a good signal, from that I assume they can adjust the 3G signal strength in individual cells, worked a dream for me, but unfortunatley when I had to start paying for the service it was very expensive so I stopped using it.

What are people paying for 3G nowadays?

Paul

Many years ago I had a beta version of 3G running in the boat, when I reported back to the engineers at Vodafone I mentioned a lack of signal strength at my home mooring and within a few hours I had a good signal, from that I assume they can adjust the 3G signal strength in individual cells, worked a dream for me, but unfortunatley when I had to start paying for the service it was very expensive so I stopped using it.

Paul

£10 a month as an add in to my 3 phone contract. I get 2GB for that which is enough unless I am doing a lot on Google Earth.

Nick

Paul

I pay £7-34 a month (£7-50 when vat goes back up) for 5GB a month with "3" on an 18 month contract.

Ive just obtained a BTMobile dongle for under £60 for 1GB a month for 18 months use which works out less than a fiver a month.

With both of the above i dont go anywhere near the limit & dont mind if it doesnt get used some months!!

Hope this helps.

Bob

It does thanks, I hadn't appreciated a 3g amplifier existed. When we liveaboard t'internet acess will be extremely imortant to us both, not only for any residual work responsibilities but also keeping in touch with family and friends.

Thanks again.

It does thanks, I hadn't appreciated a 3g amplifier existed. When we liveaboard t'internet acess will be extremely imortant to us both, not only for any residual work responsibilities but also keeping in touch with family and friends.

Thanks again.

Glad it was of assistance....but do make sure its a UK spec unit as foreign frequencies can differ.

I also mentioned that I get '3' for £5 / month...but noone ever seems to read that bit ?

If you get a 3 PAYG sim card.....once you top it up with...say £10...you can register on the 3 website...and then register a credit card for payment.

This takes about 7 days.......for the credit card to be approved.

You can then put some money onto your 3 account....

Keep an eye on your account and when it gets within...say 10 days of your card running out...go to the 3 website...and go to 'purchase add ons'.

There is a fair usage internet addon ( I use over 3 gig) ...for £5 / month.

Purchase that....early...and it will queue it so that when your original one runs out...it just carries on.

Don't let it actually expire though or they make large charges.

Fair use...3 gig for £5 / month...

Beats the hell out of evryones contracts !

Hope this helps again.

Bob

• 1 month later...

As height helps (as well as being outside the steel box) I recently bought a length of white 32mm plastic drainpipe (Homebase) and with a couple of plastic pipe clips I can support it from the side of the boat outside a window. I have put a 3m USB cable into it and I can plug my Dongle into that when I want to use it outside. I intend to get a suitable cap to keep the rain out - currently using tape.

The plastic clips are held on with the screws that hold my window frame so I did not need to drill holes. It stands about a metre above the roof line with this simple installation. If it needs to be higher I will require a more sophisticated stand.

Actually I haven't had to use it yet as the T-mobile signal is fine inside the window. But when I was cruising in May there were places where it worked when I put the dongle at the top of a piece of stick, so I expect the drainpipe to work fine and be more weather resistant.

I have both a T-Mobile dongle and a Three 3g phone (both pay as you go) so I can choose which ever works best. There is no Three HSPDA signal in Braunston but T-Mobile works well. Between Braunston and Thrupp I only found one place where T-Mobile would not work and Three would (but I did not mark it on my map - sorry). Neither of them worked around Upper and Lower Heyford.

Glad it was of assistance....but do make sure its a UK spec unit as foreign frequencies can differ.

I also mentioned that I get '3' for £5 / month...but noone ever seems to read that bit ?

If you get a 3 PAYG sim card.....once you top it up with...say £10...you can register on the 3 website...and then register a credit card for payment.

This takes about 7 days.......for the credit card to be approved.

You can then put some money onto your 3 account....

Keep an eye on your account and when it gets within...say 10 days of your card running out...go to the 3 website...and go to 'purchase add ons'.

There is a fair usage internet addon ( I use over 3 gig) ...for £5 / month.

Purchase that....early...and it will queue it so that when your original one runs out...it just carries on.

Don't let it actually expire though or they make large charges.

Fair use...3 gig for £5 / month...

Beats the hell out of evryones contracts !

Hope this helps again.

Bob

Only just beats me, Vodafone 3gb a month for £6.

Phil

There is, I was getting a very usable signal by the A5 bridge near "The Mill House" I was on the mooring nearest the bridge.

If you were near the A5 you weren't near Braunston, if you were by the A45 you were lucky. the signal is incredibly variable around there, I have been moored there on and off for about 6 weeks so far this year and only managed to get connected with a " 3g mast" a couple of times. I even walked up and down the towpath with my laptop on and trying to connect to find which moorings were accessible or not!!

If you were near the A5 you weren't near Braunston, if you were by the A45 you were lucky. the signal is incredibly variable around there, I have been moored there on and off for about 6 weeks so far this year and only managed to get connected with a " 3g mast" a couple of times. I even walked up and down the towpath with my laptop on and trying to connect to find which moorings were accessible or not!!

Your right, I was in the right village but it was the wrong road. I was moored on the ring closest to the bridge opposite the Mill House car park. I have also got a signal standing on the top of Butchers bridge

Your right, I was in the right village but it was the wrong road. I was moored on the ring closest to the bridge opposite the Mill House car park. I have also got a signal standing on the top of Butchers bridge

It is possible to get a good Vodafone 2G signal if you moor closer to Braunston Turn - from time to time I have also managed to get a usable 3G signal near Foxes Gate (between Braunston and Napton) but for a reliable 3G signal in that area you need to get closer to Rugby.

There are significant differences between networks.

Mobile networks 3 and Orange appear to have the UK's most extensive 3G mobile signal coverage, according to new maps of UK 3G mobile coverage from mobile phone watchdog Ofcom (Which.co.uk 09 July 2009) .

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/lic...verage_maps.pdf

There are significant differences between networks.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/lic...verage_maps.pdf

The network coverage maps do not help that much on the canal - even in strong signal areas, the fact that you are effectively sitting in a ditch means that the signal will be variable. For best results, choose a mooring near a conurbation or motorway where the canal is not in a cutting or shielded by hills.

• 3 weeks later...

I have my t-mobile dongle on the end of a 5 foot pole inside a plastic bottle - works a treat! Height is the key I think, interestingly the reported signal is still quite low but get a very solid 1.8-2Mbps download speed. I have that connected via usb extension cable to a Billion router which is an amazing bit of kit, wi-fi anywhere on the boat and don't have to worry about clicking connect on the laptop everytime I start using it.

• 3 weeks later...
The network coverage maps do not help that much on the canal - even in strong signal areas, the fact that you are effectively sitting in a ditch means that the signal will be variable. For best results, choose a mooring near a conurbation or motorway where the canal is not in a cutting or shielded by hills.

I think 3 must have improved coverage, at least in the north west. Last year I often couldn't get an internet connection, wherever I was, but on my latest trip I had internet every night, including up at Bugsworth. I couldn't get a tv signal there but 3 was so reliable I was able to watch tv on my computer. I have a longish usb lead which lets me put the dongle just outside the doors.

One guy here saying the amplifier is great mag mounts are not, I dont know about the amplifier but......

in my voda E160 there is a small socket, you have to crack the case to find it, I got a connector from panorama antennas.com that was £15.40 odd they have different ones for different networks the number on the screen tells you which one you need. I got a 9db gain mag mount antenna (search word antenna) on flea bay for £15 squid ish.

The difference is total, I had to use the computer in the car till I got the ant ....£30 well spent.

There are some ants at panorama but the ones from Hong Kong on flea bay are cheaper 9db.

Hear I sit in my arm chair with a cup of tea, I could not do this before. RECOMMENDED!

I started a thread a few months ago called Wifry which was about using a wok to increase the gain on dongles

here'e a link to the site http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

Even hanging the dongle in front of a metal tray and facing it towards a mobile mast will give small db increases,

having said this, i was in a 3g dead spot between Foxton locks and Watford flight not a sausage!