Keysaver

Chertsey

Featured Posts

Following yesterday's mishap, I went to get a new set of keys cut (thank goodness I still had the spare set that were meant for someone else) and after telling my tale of woe to the man in the shop, he sold me a Keysaver keyring. I just wondered whether anyone had ever had occasion to test one, and how it performed.

Done a search and it appears that I must keep it very dry...

But anyone who has dropped one in... did the string unravel freely allowing the float to get to the surface? Was it strong enough to haul out a reasonable bunch of keys? How long is the string? (the man in the shop said they were very popular with the local fishermen... sea fishermen?!!)

I've bought it now anyway, but I want to know if I can rely on it...

Bought something similar a while ago. Put it on ignition key ring in boat. The first time it rained the thing went off, so now it is held in place with tape and no use if it falls in the cut!

Definitely keep it (very) dry!

Following yesterday's mishap, I went to get a new set of keys cut (thank goodness I still had the spare set that were meant for someone else) and after telling my tale of woe to the man in the shop, he sold me a Keysaver keyring. I just wondered whether anyone had ever had occasion to test one, and how it performed.

But anyone who has dropped one in... did the string unravel freely allowing the float to get to the surface? Was it strong enough to haul out a reasonable bunch of keys? How long is the string? (the man in the shop said they were very popular with the local fishermen... sea fishermen?!!)

12 meters and 3 Kg according to this

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=360149164172

I wondered about one of these

http://www.sourcingplanet.co.uk/products/1...NG-KEYRING.aspx

Total crap as seen on Dragons Den a couple of years ago.

I bought one and the plastic base came apart. Returned it and exactly the same thing happened with the replacement.

Returned it again and insisted on a refund. Nice idea but complete waste of time.

Edited by blackrose

It seems a bit pricey to me. I have no doubt that my keys would weigh my little cork ball down, but someone (here) said that if the keys drop the ball will still float upwards, and can be snagged with a garden rake, should the water be clear enough and if you have one handy...

We rescued our next door neighbour's keys on Sunday with our big magnet. Very satifying. I think I'll stick with that :lol:

Total crap as seen on Dragons Den a couple of years ago.

I've often wondered what happens when you fall in the cut with one of these in your pocket. (N.B. Use of word "when", as opposed to "if" is intentional!).

Never mind the embarrassment of getting soaked and covered in weeds and mud - what about all the underwater hissing noises and large swelling in the groin area? :lol:

I've often wondered what happens when you fall in the cut with one of these in your pocket. (N.B. Use of word "when", as opposed to "if" is intentional!).

Never mind the embarrassment of getting soaked and covered in weeds and mud - what about all the underwater hissing noises and large swelling in the groin area? :lol:

Whilst wearing one of those automatically triggered life jackets in heavy rain, similar thoughts occurred to me. :lol:

How much can it rain on them before you get turned unwillingly into the Michelin man, I wonder ?

I have 4 of the "Waterbuoys" (as seen on Dragon's Den). I haven't had cause to use one in anger yet but the end caps have all stayed in on mine and one got wet in the rain and didn't go off. (Maybe it never will :lol: ). A tenner each.

Chris

Whilst wearing one of those automatically triggered life jackets in heavy rain, similar thoughts occurred to me. :lol:

How much can it rain on them before you get turned unwillingly into the Michelin man, I wonder ?

Depends on the kind of lifejacket, but usually the automatic ones are "hammer" types, which need hydrostatic pressure- i.e. they will inflate when there's pressure equivalent to being 1 metre or so underwater, not just from splashes. :lol:

Depends on the kind of lifejacket, but usually the automatic ones are "hammer" types, which need hydrostatic pressure- i.e. they will inflate when there's pressure equivalent to being 1 metre or so underwater, not just from splashes. :lol:

Ah - thanks for that!

Ours were relatively cheap, and I got the impression that they were chemically triggered by some compound getting wet.

I don't have either them, (or the instructions), at home though, so can't check at the moment.

One tip which might save some hassel. If you have your keys on a cork ball paint the top a nice bright colour. Lady on the boat in front dropped a set as their boat was moving by the time they had stopped the ball was invisible fortunately it drifted down the side of our boat and I was able to retrieve it. Oh and they don't support much only two keys on the ring and more than two thirds of the ball under water.

Ken

My wife decided to go for a 'swim' in the Llangollen last year, she surfaced a bit the worse for wear but luckily she had the keys in her pocket, that is until she fished them out and then dropped them! no problem we thought just wait for the Keysaver to activate, still waiting 15 mins later. 30 mins with the old Seasearcher got them back. When I dismantled the Keysaver to investigate there was a useless bit of sponge that is supposed to expand when wet, not impressed at all. My answer was to 'acquire' a tampon cut into small pieces and stuff it into the space where the sponge was, perfect, works every time but I do get some funny looks when I describe this to people.

Edited by nb Innisfree

My answer was to 'acquire' a tampon cut into small pieces and stuff it into the space where the sponge was, perfect, works every time but I do get some funny looks when I describe this to people.

How does that work, then? If it just expands by absorbing water then it's not going to make anything float in water. Or perhaps I'm missing something. :lol:

How does that work, then? If it just expands by absorbing water then it's not going to make anything float in water. Or perhaps I'm missing something. :lol:

The keysaver itself isn't meant to float. It's a plastic housing, with a water-absorbent sponge in it. The end of the tube has a bright orange float in it, which is attached by a length of line to the rest of the keysaver. The line is normally coiled inside.

The way it works is that, when the keys fall in, the sponge expands and the orange float is pushed out. It, attached by the fishing line, floats to the surface, so you can grab the float and pull on the line to get the keys back. The tampon was used, I'm assuming, to replace the malfunctioning sponge.