Absolute beginner

charlie 58

Featured Posts

My wife and I are embarking on our first canal boat holiday in July this year. We pick up our boat from Sawley Marina and have it for one week. Does anybody have any tips on which direction to go and what sights there are to see, and can anyone offer advice as to what extras i need to bring that aren't usually found on a hired canal boat. Thanks for any replies.

My wife and I are embarking on our first canal boat holiday in July this year. We pick up our boat from Sawley Marina and have it for one week. Does anybody have any tips on which direction to go and what sights there are to see, and can anyone offer advice as to what extras i need to bring that aren't usually found on a hired canal boat. Thanks for any replies.

Charlie,

I can recommend the Nicholsons guides to you. You can get them online and stuff and they tell you all about the area you will be cruising in, pubs, marinas etc etc. I think you will need No. 6 for the area you will be about in,

Kentboycamper.

Ah well, seeing as you're booked for July heres a couple some items that its worth taking in the hope that you won't need them .... Umbrellas, waterproofs and wellington boots ... and maybe a pair of lightweight gardening gloves to save hands that aren't used to handling ropes and windlasses (some people use fingerless cycling gloves), and maybe a little torch too, and don't forget the phone charger !

OK - watch the BW DVD - it can be viewed online. It is a bit cheesy in parts but on the whole there is some great information in it (oh and our boat Grace is the star of the show!!)

Go out to a canal and watch people doing locks, ask questions and never be afraid to ask the hire company daft questions - however daft they may seem.

If you aren't happy when you get out on the cut, let them know, they must provide support and training.

We have actually taken people in the past down and up over a dozen locks until they feel confident so ask - after all you are paying for the holiday.

Without tempting fate on the weather I would say deckchairs are handy if you can pick up some of the 'in a long bag' style and a decent torch.

You will need beer and food, lots of both. Other than that hire boats are pretty well kitted out. You need your own towels though. Other than that enjoy

I like your style...................would you like to come with us lol. Thanks for your reply.

everything is more or less on the boat suggest you go down the river soar to Leicester and back for a weeks cruise

Thanks for the advice. Will look into that.

Charlie,

I can recommend the Nicholsons guides to you. You can get them online and stuff and they tell you all about the area you will be cruising in, pubs, marinas etc etc. I think you will need No. 6 for the area you will be about in,

Kentboycamper.

Brilliant, thanks for that

Sensible shoes/walking boots, sensible clothes - no white trousers and gold sandals, silly stilletos or 'winkle pickers' and beware it is addictive and can seriously damage your bank balance.

lol. Thanks

Ah well, seeing as you're booked for July heres a couple some items that its worth taking in the hope that you won't need them .... Umbrellas, waterproofs and wellington boots ... and maybe a pair of lightweight gardening gloves to save hands that aren't used to handling ropes and windlasses (some people use fingerless cycling gloves), and maybe a little torch too, and don't forget the phone charger !

Ok got that much appreciated

OK - watch the BW DVD - it can be viewed online. It is a bit cheesy in parts but on the whole there is some great information in it (oh and our boat Grace is the star of the show!!)

Go out to a canal and watch people doing locks, ask questions and never be afraid to ask the hire company daft questions - however daft they may seem.

If you aren't happy when you get out on the cut, let them know, they must provide support and training.

We have actually taken people in the past down and up over a dozen locks until they feel confident so ask - after all you are paying for the holiday.

Without tempting fate on the weather I would say deckchairs are handy if you can pick up some of the 'in a long bag' style and a decent torch.

Good advice .................. thanks

I pack my favorite sharp kitchen knife - the onboard breadknife may be blunt having been used for cutting c**p off the propeller.

Also a disposable barbeque, extra loo rolls, a good book, CD's, and everything for supper for the first night and plenty of bacon for breakfasts (if you are not veggies.) We find 2 way radios are useful if you can borrow some, as are binoculars to see locks ahead.

Definately a good torch and spare batteries, some playing cards, dominoes or crosswords (try to give the TV a miss for the week - it's good for the soul not to know what's going on in the outside world for a week).

The Nicholson guides are very good (have a look on Tesco.com - got mine dirt cheap on there)

A pair of Crocs or similar ( good for slipping on and off quickly to go in and out of the boat, and they have a good grip on the soles)

A wide brimmed hat ( don't want sunstroke whilst out of the stern all day)

Have a good time!

:lol:

everything is more or less on the boat suggest you go down the river soar to Leicester and back for a weeks cruise

Bearing in mind the original posters are self-confessed novices, I'd have thought heading generally west along the Trent & Mersey was the obvious way to go, rather than contending with the additional hazards of a river route.

Admittedly the Soar Navigation isn't too frightening a prospect.

However, if on the T&M keep going until the halfway point of the holiday (in terms of time) then you know you will get back on time without too much worry. Leave time for a pint and a meal at the Crown, Alrewas!

Yeah I'd go up the T&M - the single locks are easier and there are plenty of pubs :lol:

One bit of advice - use the bow line in addition to any others when tying up to empty a lock before going up. As has been mentioned before on here, the water from the emptying lock can get the wrong side of the bows and if you're only on the centre rope it'll pull the boat outwards and then tip it sideways when the rope goes taut. It's a "character trait" of the T&M locks - easily done (and scary when it happens), but easily avoided also.

:lol: I brought one of these last year for my holiday cruise, Ive now got rid of my gas bbq at home, theres no comparison!

When you've finished cooking with it just pop it back in its fire proof bag and its safe to put back inside your boat even before its cooled down.

click http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/lifestyle-h...-bbq/index.html

:lol: I brought one of these last year for my holiday cruise, Ive now got rid of my gas bbq at home, theres no comparison!

When you've finished cooking with it just pop it back in its fire proof bag and its safe to put back inside your boat even before its cooled down.

Instant BBQ's are as good as anything for boating. We got a small stainless stand that fits nicely in the anchor locker and a few instant BBQ's. They are great no mess and yuou just throw them away when done. No grease anywhere near the boat. Fantastic. Oh you do have to remember to let them cool down before throwing them away though :lol:

We've just bought one as well - it's excellent, if theres only two of you, you can use only one side of it , or you can give the vegetarians in your party a side and you can have the other.

I'm guessing if your going from Sawley and your going with Canal Time. We went away with them for our first time in March we really enjoyed it so much so we're in the process of buying our first boat!

Our boat was very comfi TV DVD Player cd radio etc. Comfy for cosey nights in after the pub.

I would vouch for going up the Trent and Mersey the early locks are big locks but if you take your time its ok. Be carefull of Stenson Lock its deep and very powerful. If you stay near the big gates away from the Cill you will be fine. We spent a few weekend mooching around near Shardlow and Derwent mouth gongoozling boaters all were really friendly.

Do you live local?

Enjoy your miden voyage

Ian and Sarah

I'm guessing if your going from Sawley and your going with Canal Time. We went away with them for our first time in March we really enjoyed it so much so we're in the process of buying our first boat!

Our boat was very comfi TV DVD Player cd radio etc. Comfy for cosey nights in after the pub.

I would vouch for going up the Trent and Mersey the early locks are big locks but if you take your time its ok. Be carefull of Stenson Lock its deep and very powerful. If you stay near the big gates away from the Cill you will be fine. We spent a few weekend mooching around near Shardlow and Derwent mouth gongoozling boaters all were really friendly.

Do you live local?

Enjoy your miden voyage

Ian and Sarah

Looks like the trent and mersey for us then. Had lots of good advice from you friendly bunch. We live near Middlesbrough, (don't laugh). Wow, you must have enjoyed it to buy your own boat after just one boating holiday. Hope we enjoy it as much. Happy sailing!

We've just bought one as well - it's excellent, if theres only two of you, you can use only one side of it , or you can give the vegetarians in your party a side and you can have the other.

Never seen one of those before............looks like i may be investing in one............ thanks

Hi there.

We're up and down the Trent & Mersey virtually every other weekend either towards Alrewas or towards Shardlow and it's a nice easy section for you if your new to boating.

Excellent advice from Sociable Hermit about the bow line going up the locks - seen a couple of close calls when they've not been used. Had one myself actually!

A boater was telling me a couple of weekends ago that it caught him by surprise and he had about a dozen glasses smashed when his boat went over - he's had a boat for 8 years so it's a very valid point.

There's plenty of pubs to eat and drink at.

Excellent Chinese takeaways at Branston and Alrewas, an Indian restaurant right beside the canal at Willington and a pukka pizza place also at Branston - again right on the canal side.

Have fun and don't forget that 5 mph is speeding. (unless you drive in London) :lol:

Mike

You will need beer and food, lots of both. Other than that hire boats are pretty well kitted out. You need your own towels though. Other than that enjoy

Don't believe the popular fallacy that food is available only in your home town. I've seen people staggering on board their hire boat (our prevous mooring was at Springwood Haven Marina which also has a hire fleet) laden with box after box of drinks and eats, and wondered why, when on most Midland canals there are shops or supermarkets every few miles.

Don't believe the popular fallacy that food is available only in your home town. I've seen people staggering on board their hire boat (our prevous mooring was at Springwood Haven Marina which also has a hire fleet) laden with box after box of drinks and eats, and wondered why, when on most Midland canals there are shops or supermarkets every few miles.

Depends how often you want to shop for food though ? ... we tend to stock up at the outset so that we have more time for "non-shopping" stops :lol:

Got a feeling canaltime don't allow hire boats to do anything other than the T&M.however the mooring along there is brilliant specially around weston.Shardlow is full of good pubs.Try the New inn or the Clock.Canalside mooring at the Wragley boat stop and good cheap food.Good pub at stenson.Shopping at the coop in willington.Loads of pubs there.If your worried about the big locks ,it's easier if there are two narrowboats together,but anyway there's nothing to be worried about .Have a VERY good holiday.When you pick your boat up give us a wave