Bow & stern fenders.

tosher

Featured Posts

Which type of bow & stern fenders are the most robust and last the longest? The traditional ones constructed from 100% rope or the more recent ones which have some sort of rubber core. Can anyone recommend a good maker or a good place to buy them? Thanks.

Which type of bow & stern fenders are the most robust and last the longest? The traditional ones constructed from 100% rope or the more recent ones which have some sort of rubber core. Can anyone recommend a good maker or a good place to buy them? Thanks.

If you are in Braunston then the chandlers of Trad Line http://www.tradline.co.uk If you are in Warwick the by the Cape pub. I am sure there are lots of others all over the system, where are you?

I used to sell the new rubber cored types when I had Alton and I can recommend them. A long button especially, has to be well made with a rope core if it is not to distort with use. The rubber core really holds the shape. By the way, do not confuse the rubber core, which is a solid moulding with chains passing through, with rolled up car tyres which is an altogether inferior product.

Rubber cored fenders are manufactured exclusively by

http://www.trafalgarmarineservices.co.uk/

although they supplier many retailers and at least one coal boat

http://furnessvale.blogspot.com/

George ex nb Alton retired

I was very impressed by the work of Mick Betts of Cosgrove. Instead of selling me two new stern fenders (which I would have bought from him anyway) he reckoned he could cover my existing ones. Result- two brand new (looking) stern fenders at a fraction of the new price. And he fitted them properly for me as well! After a year they still look great. Mick lives afloat at Cosgrove and his boat name is "Agnes ( I think) Broomfield." Look him up, I'm sure he'll do an excellent job for you.

Hi

I'd go for rope coverings, preferably manilla, on a rope core, the way that they were traditionally made. Ex boatman Joe Hollingshead, in Wolverhampton, makes superb stuff..proper old fashioned fenders that need a sledgehammer to put a curve in before hanging (they need to fit sugly round the counter to look good and absorb impact effectively. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give him a ring to check stock. A full set is 2 tipcats and a pair of buttons. I wouldn't like to state costs without checking.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

I'd go for rope coverings, preferably manilla, on a rope core, the way that they were traditionally made. Ex boatman Joe Hollingshead, in Wolverhampton, makes superb stuff..proper old fashioned fenders that need a sledgehammer to put a curve in before hanging (they need to fit sugly round the counter to look good and absorb impact effectively. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give him a ring to check stock. A full set is 2 tipcats and a pair of buttons. I wouldn't like to state costs without checking.

Cheers

Dave

Our rear ones are by Joe and they are fantastic (we won't re-open the great creosote debate...). But we were told that he doesn't do front ones?

edited to add pic:

RamseyendMay019.jpg

Sorry Dave, they're probably not hung very well

Edited by WarriorWoman

Hi Sarah

The rear button can be hung on the bow as a "bumper", as Joe calls them. I suspect that your rear deck colour is Craftmasters Raddle Red (or equivalent). The fenders are the "mutt's nuts" indeed..you could pull the rear button up a touch!

Cheers

Dave

Sorry to go off topic but what make and shade of paint have you used for your rear deck please?

It certainly is Craftmaster Raddle Red, and very highly recommended.

Hi Sarah

The rear button can be hung on the bow as a "bumper", as Joe calls them.

That's good, that's what we did with the old one!

a bow fender with a stainless steel chain inside and secured to a rubber interior - a rope 16 mm non degradable bag next to look good and cover the previous twobits - followed by a tyre over the middle bit that wears the rope out. Its got to last more than two years and got to take the bash as the boat meets the lock gates. I've not seen an adequate bow fender yet - i'm half way thro building this one.

My stern fender is built on similar principals and protects the rudder -but with an eye to the extra wet immersion at the stern. The guy who told me was on the lancaster and he was right.

I was very impressed by the work of Mick Betts of Cosgrove. Instead of selling me two new stern fenders (which I would have bought from him anyway) he reckoned he could cover my existing ones. Result- two brand new (looking) stern fenders at a fraction of the new price. And he fitted them properly for me as well! After a year they still look great. Mick lives afloat at Cosgrove and his boat name is "Agnes ( I think) Broomfield." Look him up, I'm sure he'll do an excellent job for you.

Boat's name is actually "Agnes Blomfield", I believe. (I recall it from when it moored at Marsworth).