Chester moorings

Ian Davey

Featured Posts

Am off in a couple of weeks time for a weeks cruise from Acton Bridge and was thinking of going up to Chester. Does anyone have any info on mooring in the city. E.G are they safe or are there any no go areas that we should avoid.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Ian

Am off in a couple of weeks time for a weeks cruise from Acton Bridge and was thinking of going up to Chester. Does anyone have any info on mooring in the city. E.G are they safe or are there any no go areas that we should avoid.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Ian

28103[/snapback]

It is a long time ago, but used to like to moor below the walls. I have heard stories of problems there recently but then there were similar stories 15 years ago.

Last time I was in Chester we moored on a Sunday night just past the bridge with the big chinese restaurant above it - I think it is bridge 123E - with no problems.

What I wouldn't do, despite guide book recommendations, is moor below the staircase by the Telford Restaurant. THe nearby covered dry dock is used by local dossers. They are not a problem but the local *****s think it great sport to go down there and throw stones at them. There has been a lot of trouble there and as I understand it is still a problem. Can be very noisy too.

Hoole Lane lock & Chemistry lock and that area is also a popular druggy spot - watch out for discarded syringes on the ground - I have trodden on one which is a little unnerving - don't let it put you off though - just watch where you put your feet - which of course you do anyway to avoid the dog crap. If you are not desperate to go into the city centre at night (and the character of Chester changes dramatically once night falls and not for the best) then there are good quiet moorings below Christleton lock and also above the lock, where there are a couple of decent pubs.

North of Chester is not very inspiring for a while, but if you are heading up the wirral there is a nice pub in Stoak, near bridge 137/8. Avoid mooring too near the M53 though, bridge 138 is not too bad.