GSM-based boat alarm system...

twocvbloke

Featured Posts

Just spotted this gadget for those thinking about boat security and safety, it apparently can inform you of high bilge levels, low fuel, LPG leaks, smoke alarms, and of course, burglaries, and with the recent problems with pinched boats, it can also be used to track stolen boats as it uses the standard GSM mobile phone networks (google: GSM Tracking). Don't just listen to me, see for yourself:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=320368635298

(not affiliated in any way, I'm just looking through things on ebay)

:lol:

hi

the alarm on ebay is supplied by a company which advertise in the towpath paper, i asked a question weeks ago if any one has had any dealings with them, as i ordered one which took a month to arrive ,i will reserve comment on product at the moment as i am still sorting out a few issues ,but must say it is not the same as one on ebay but next model up. if issues are sorted could be a great bit of kit for the money.

regards bear

• 2 weeks later...
hi

the alarm on ebay is supplied by a company which advertise in the towpath paper, i asked a question weeks ago if any one has had any dealings with them, as i ordered one which took a month to arrive ,i will reserve comment on product at the moment as i am still sorting out a few issues ,but must say it is not the same as one on ebay but next model up. if issues are sorted could be a great bit of kit for the money.

regards bear

I've bought one from the GSM company and it arrived in less than 24hrs. I groaned when I read the instruction book, it's obviously written in the far east's curious English. I'm going to try fitting it this weekend and will report back. Perhaps a large intake of of Chinese food may help!

Cheers

GunnaDo

it's obviously written in the far east's curious English.

I bought a pair of headphones once which contained the useful caution that "Excessive turning of the volume control can be damaging to the earholes"

T ;-)

Incidentally, it's interesting that it runs with a PayAsYouGo SIM card. I've seen systems like this that are more for security and that you have to subscribe to because it uses broadband to contact you.

However I'd like to be sure the network on the Pay As You Go card has good reception in my area before I invest two hundred odd squidlies in it.

Clever idea though.

I wonder if it can be configured to tell you when the toilet tank is full? It would avoid the kind of unpleasantness I discovered at 1am today. :lol:

I wonder if it can be configured to tell you when the toilet tank is full? It would avoid the kind of unpleasantness I discovered at 1am today. :lol:

My system can have up to 8 different triggers though the poo tank wouldn't be one I'd need a phone call for.

It also monitors "patterns" so it alerts me if there is a change in bilge pump activation frequency which is very useful, on a wooden boat because knowing that the pump not going off is as important as knowing it is (though it hasn't actually triggered for 6 months, now).

My system can have up to 8 different triggers though the poo tank wouldn't be one I'd need a phone call for.

It also monitors "patterns" so it alerts me if there is a change in bilge pump activation frequency which is very useful, on a wooden boat because knowing that the pump not going off is as important as knowing it is (though it hasn't actually triggered for 6 months, now).

hi

what make of system have you got.

regards

bear

I've bought one from the GSM company and it arrived in less than 24hrs. I groaned when I read the instruction book, it's obviously written in the far east's curious English. I'm going to try fitting it this weekend and will report back. Perhaps a large intake of of Chinese food may help!

Cheers

GunnaDo

hi

how did you get on, what model was it , whats your verdict

regards

bear

Edited by bear

Incidentally, it's interesting that it runs with a PayAsYouGo SIM card. I've seen systems like this that are more for security and that you have to subscribe to because it uses broadband to contact you.

However I'd like to be sure the network on the Pay As You Go card has good reception in my area before I invest two hundred odd squidlies in it.

Clever idea though.

Hi. I keep severel different PAYG cards and I bought a little cradle 'thing' on Ebay that the phone sits in and it has a wire so you can put the aerial outside.

Cost about £10 including postage from China.....it all works very well. If the signal isn't there on Orange or O2 I put a T-mobile in. One of them usually works. Bob

hi

regards

bear

Hi Bear,

I'm not ignoring you, it just that it was a nice day when we got to Gunna Do so the cut was too hard to resist! I've fitted some of the wireless sensors and immediately found that the supplied screws were made of plastacine or similar. Luckily I have a large box of 'sundries'. Have programmed the simm card and checked using mobile phone that I've got it right. Just the main unit to mount...oh and the 'speaklouder'! Watch this space for the next thrilling instalment.

Gunna Do

hi

what make of system have you got.

regards

bear

I'm not ignoring you, either, Bear.

It's just that the boat's in Essex and I can't remember what the system's called.

I will post, as soon as I either remember or visit the boat.

Hi Bear,

I'm not ignoring you, it just that it was a nice day when we got to Gunna Do so the cut was too hard to resist! I've fitted some of the wireless sensors and immediately found that the supplied screws were made of plastacine or similar. Luckily I have a large box of 'sundries'. Have programmed the simm card and checked using mobile phone that I've got it right. Just the main unit to mount...oh and the 'speaklouder'! Watch this space for the next thrilling instalment.

Gunna Do

hi

how have you got on with your installation, would like to hear your views.

regards

bear

hi

regards bear

Hi Bear,

Just trying to highlight this topic, in the hope of warning others given the problems we have both had, would be pleased to hear if anyone has had any dealings with this company and actually got a good word?

Hi Bear,

Just trying to highlight this topic, in the hope of warning others given the problems we have both had, would be pleased to hear if anyone has had any dealings with this company and actually got a good word?

hi

thenightowl.

have returned the system back to gsm-secure(3 weeks have passed and still waiting refund),do not think it covers all promises made by the company (at least the gsm-250 supplied),wonder how others have got on.

regards

bear

Edited by bear

hi

thenightowl.

have returned the system back to gsm-secure(3 weeks have passed and still waiting refund),do not think it covers all promises made by the company (at least the gsm-250 supplied),wonder how others have got on.

regards

bear

Hi Bear,

Likewise, 3 weeks, false promises and still no sign of the money. Started with the promise of a full refund, once he had the goods, then a 15% restocking fee was implemented, plus postage costs.

Regards

Hi Bear,

Likewise, 3 weeks, false promises and still no sign of the money. Started with the promise of a full refund, once he had the goods, then a 15% restocking fee was implemented, plus postage costs.

Regards

hi

fears to warn others obviously were un warranted, as before no response, must mean members are happy with product or do not want to comment.

regards

bear

hi

regards

bear

Hi Bear,

Finally got it fitted and it appears to do what it says on the box. Longest job was the 12v wiring to the unit as you might expect with modern Nb's.

It is a GSM-250 unit and judging by the threads here, I must be lucky with my setup as it works just fine. As I said earlier the instruction book is a joke but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it all out.

In answer to an earlier thread, YES it can text to say the poo tank's full if you couple it to the level indicator light but I wouldn't want to do that particular bit of wiring!

Regards

GunnaDo

Hello all,

Just come across this thread.Dont know if you have got your money back yet or not Bear?

I Dealt with Lee from gsm-secure last year when I presume they first come on the market.Took me months to get a properly working unit out of him (which did all what it was supposed to). Never did get all of the bits it was supposed to come with though.If you think the manual is bad now you should have seen the first one, I even had to send him videos to prove you had to use NC contacts and not NO contacts !!

Having said that, the alarm is on 24/7, 365 days a year and has been 100% reliable in the last 12 months and if you actually get one that works is worth every penny. I paid about £80.00 more at the time too.. And sorry Lee,if you ever read this,I am never going to post a reccomendation on your site :lol:

Try endless phonecalls and include a link to consumer direct in one of your many emails you will have to send.Worked for me anyway :lol:

• 1 month later...
hi

fears to warn others obviously were un warranted, as before no response, must mean members are happy with product or do not want to comment.

regards

bear

Hi Bear,

Any luck trying to get a refund? I'm still trying to recover mine, it seems quite obvoius he is quite happy to hang onto it as well as the goods.

Hope you have had better luck your end?

Regards

thenightowl

Hi Bear,

Any luck trying to get a refund? I'm still trying to recover mine, it seems quite obvoius he is quite happy to hang onto it as well as the goods.

Hope you have had better luck your end?

Regards

thenightowl

hi

i was just thinking today of contacting, yourself, to ask you the same question.

have had no luck either, noticed that he is now advertising in canal boat but not the model we bought must have been to much of a problem

i am working up that way soon ,may just tap his door,for a chat or wait till his next stand at a show.

regards

bear

Edited by bear

hi

i was just thinking today of contacting, yourself, to ask you the same question.

have had no luck either, noticed that he is now advertising in canal boat but not the model we bought must have been to much of a problem

i am working up that way soon ,may just tap his door,for a chat or wait till his next stand at a show.

regards

bear

I'm looking to point out that the fact he thinks he can retain the goods (given they belong to us) and apparently has no intention of giving a refund, amounts to theft! Either that or the small claims court? Either way, I'm sure it we put our two cases together, it will give it a little more weight.

Regards

Peter