Pubs on the Soar

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

So its planning time again. The dates have been set, the destination has been agreed and the spare props are back from being refurbished!!!!!!!!

This time around we have decided we will be exploring the River Soar. We have decided to go the last week in June in the vain hope of getting some slightly better weather. Still all this rain is keeping the rivers topped up which gives us less chance of hitting the bottom. Our aim is to make it into Leicester before turning back and heading for home.

So we know the dates, we know where we are going, all we really need is a list of decent watering holes and safe mooring spots.

Any suggestions of where to stop, where to avoid and where we may smash the props again will be greatly appreciated.

So its planning time again. The dates have been set, the destination has been agreed and the spare props are back from being refurbished!!!!!!!!

This time around we have decided we will be exploring the River Soar. We have decided to go the last week in June in the vain hope of getting some slightly better weather. Still all this rain is keeping the rivers topped up which gives us less chance of hitting the bottom. Our aim is to make it into Leicester before turning back and heading for home.

So we know the dates, we know where we are going, all we really need is a list of decent watering holes and safe mooring spots.

Any suggestions of where to stop, where to avoid and where we may smash the props again will be greatly appreciated.

We have been to the Boathouse at Barrow a couple of times lately (on Ally's recommendation) and found it good, nice big garden and decent food. There is another pub and an Indian across the road as well. There is (limited) mooring outside.

Beacon are showing 'Windsong' at the Sawley open weekend 20/21 June, so we may well see you on the river, chance of a beer, beer, beer :lol:

Edited by Rogerh

You should definitely stop before entering Foxton locks, or you will smash more than props.

You should definitely stop before entering Foxton locks, or you will smash more than props.

Yes we were aware of the loss of width. Leicester was to be our final destination. Was looking for anywhere worth stopping at along the way either on the way through Nottingham or into Leicester. There must be somewhere worth visiting.

Pubs on the Soar (from Trent Junction)

The Otter (1/2 a mile above Kegworth deep lock) good food, reasonable beer, moorings scarce, and usually full, and cannot moor on the opposite side.

Zouch: Rose and Crown(?) reasonable food, reasonable beer, plenty of moorings, but can involve a walk

Normanton on Soar: The Plough: V Good Food, good beer, small moorings, usually full, no nearby moorings.

Loughborough centre:

The Albion: Not eaten here because it smells of 2 year old chip fat, beer good.

The other one (can't remember it's name) Not eaten here either, beer fair

Barrow

The pleasure boat: recent refurb, food good, beer good, can get noisy, limited moorings outside (NOT FOR GRPs!!!!)

The soar Bridge: reasonable food, good beer, No adjacent moorings, some 2 minutes walk away above barrow deep lock

The Navigation: Unknown food (It's never serving when I'm around), beer good, moorings just down stream of Bridge (Have spikes!)

Mountsorrel: The Waterside: Reasonable food, good beer, a few limited moorings

Syston: Hope and Anchor: Crap food, reasonable beer: a chain eating establishment, has advantage of some moorings, and serves food round the clock, gets very busy and rowdy.

Birstall: The White Hart: Unknown food, reasonable beer, has had recent refurb a few moorings avaliable.

Straight run to leicester, no pubs.

Depth problems. only two that I know of (1 meter draught)

Loughborough centre: just after left hand 90 degree turn, stay to left of cut, about 1/2 a mile down, there is an underwater obstruction in centre, i've clipped it with the prop at dead slow.

Thurmaston, just under Johnson's bridge, dead slow, any squat on and you will clip something.

It is possible to breast up at the Otter at Kegworth and then move to the offside overnight - its worth checking where you can get in in daylight as some sections are shallow. Ther is also the Anchor at Kegworth moor by the shallow lock - there is a jitty (bridgefields) from the pub car park which is a good shortcut to the village centre where you will find a small co-op, butcher, newsagent etc.

In Loughbrorugh good beer at The Albion and the Swan In The Rushes(by the basin) - can't work out why FuzzyDuck can't remenber its name unless he was totally p......d at th L'borough banter. There is also the Boat.

There are pubs in Sileby but its a trek from the lock - boatyard has a fuel barge and a decent chandlery and friendly owners. Also in Thurmaston.

Birstall is very good for shopping and take aways just go uphill from the moorings.

For a couple of quiet moorings try just south of L'borough beyond the Peter Le Marchant base or just above Junction Lock

Say hello when you get to Loughborough.

My avatar photo was taken from the pub mooring at Normanton. A lovely location although last time we went the food wasn't so great - they were really busy though, and probably a bit snowed under. It's normally all right.

The Swan in the Rushes by Loughborough Basin is excellent, as others have said, but it's a real ale beardy weirdy pub. This suits me fine but you're a l*ger drinker aren't you, Phylis? In which case try the chain pub opposite. There are plenty of pubs in Loughborough. Couldn't possibly comment on the state of Fuzzy and Maccy after the L'boro banter! :lol:

The Soar Bridge Inn at Barrow is also very good, as Fuzzy says. Don't bother with the one on the opposite side of the road, though.

M.R. - Hello again! Are Pillings open every night again now? And serving beer in pints rather than overpriced bottles of Marstons and London Pride?

Also agree with Richard T that the people at Sileby are really nice. Where are you moored, Richard? Probably been past you a few times!

I thought that the pub by Birstall lock was the Mulberry Tree. Had a couple of meals there, bit pricey but good.

Also a Cafe/ Bar at Pillings Lock Marina -- check the web site for details.

Tony

The Mulberry Tree has now new owners and has reverted back to old name, all food local and good.

Another vote for the Swan in the Rushes.

Rose & Crown at Zouch very friendly - they were happy for us to moor up against the building.

The Gate Hangs Well at Lewin Bridge, on the Fosse Way near Syston, is quite pleasant but the main point is the walk - moor up at the Old Junction, then walk up the Wreake for about 1.5 miles, passing an old lock site and a lovely double-arched bridge from its days as the Melton Mowbray Navigation.

There's a friendly pub in Birstall (can't remember the name) behind the White Hart. Walk up the lane, turn right at the top and it's just along there. Just basket food though.

I limited my list of pubs to those directly connected to the waterways. hence no Swan and Rushes. (I made a slight exception for the Soar Bridge)

Otherwise the Hunting Lodge at Barrow would have had to go on, as would 1/2 the pubs in leicester, and the Harrow Inn in Thurmaston

Richard, you're probaly thinking of the Old Plough in Birstall, i hope you're not thinking of the Stamford Arms.

For the record, Fuzzy was very very very drunk when he left the Swan and Rushes after the Loughborough banter. :lol:

Edited to add a couple of verys

Edited by fuzzyduck

Also agree with Richard T that the people at Sileby are really nice. Where are you moored, Richard? Probably been past you a few times!

We have a share in a boat which is out on its travels for the summer - last heard of at llangollen. It left Loughborough a couple of weeks before Easter - our home mooring is an end of garden the Leicester side of the chain bridge. The boat has so far been up the Caldon and on the Weaver before going to llangollen. I guess it will October before it gets home. I have seen your boat around.

My avatar photo was taken from the pub mooring at Normanton. A lovely location although last time we went the food wasn't so great - they were really busy though, and probably a bit snowed under. It's normally all right.

The Swan in the Rushes by Loughborough Basin is excellent, as others have said, but it's a real ale beardy weirdy pub. This suits me fine but you're a l*ger drinker aren't you, Phylis? In which case try the chain pub opposite. There are plenty of pubs in Loughborough. Couldn't possibly comment on the state of Fuzzy and Maccy after the L'boro banter! :lol:

The Soar Bridge Inn at Barrow is also very good, as Fuzzy says. Don't bother with the one on the opposite side of the road, though.

M.R. - Hello again! Are Pillings open every night again now? And serving beer in pints rather than overpriced bottles of Marstons and London Pride?

So there we are then, an public confession - tinned beer indeed - go to the norty step this instant! you would not know a decent pub if it collapsed on to of you. Any pub doing Two for one mealls and la*er for 99p a pint will do for you

So harsh. What else am i going to drink whilst "driving". I cant stop at a pub everytime my glass runs dry :lol:

I limited my list of pubs to those directly connected to the waterways. hence no Swan and Rushes.

We did the opposite - made an exception for the Swan in the Rushes in WW's 'Waterside Pubs' book and series. It might not be directly on the canal but it is very very good.

Richard, you're probaly thinking of the Old Plough in Birstall

That's the one! Friendly people (and they didn't mind my mum's ancient three-legged dog).