Keeping Up with Keeping Up again

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

Most people clear their props with bread-knives, Stanley knives, hacksaws, wire cutters, bolt-croppers, etc.

I can't hope feeling you are being optimistic that any fouling will come off just with a Hoover - even a "wet 'n dry" one.

If you must use that method, I suggest you pull the hose fully back in before popping the weed hatch back on, and restarting the engine. :lol:

Well it was a wet-&-dry hoover!

Hi Allan.

Did you have to fill the Perry Barr flight before you could use it?

Richard

Surprisingly no, the PB flight was fine. But the top pound of the Aston flight was dry on Saturday morning.

The pub by Wiggins Hill Bridge on the B&F has closed down, so after leaving Birmingham the Dog & Doublet is the first canalside place of refreshment now. But we stopped at Curdworth and walked the 50 yards to the pub there; the walk gave us an appetite!

Next morning we met Aquagem but the wrong people were on board! (hi Janet)

Half way up Atherstone yesterday we were met by a very helpful pair of lock-wheelers - thanks Jan and Dave. We're now at the Lime Kilns on the Ashby - we didn't want to miss out the Ashby from our list of canals this year.

It's been a good day for being recognised, several Forum members said hello as we passed each other, and we also had a wonderful stop in Nuneaton (there's a first time for everything) when we met our old boat Thistle. Next stop is Braunston in a couple of days to see if our favourite engineer can trace our oil leak.

I think we met Thistle winding at the top of the Northampton flight when we were on our travels.

That's quite possible, they came up that way from Oundle. Then spent 3 weeks near there because their dog was very ill.

Thistle seems in good shape apart from a serious case of "middle-aged spread" which means she keeps getting stuck in the locks.

What kind of oil leak? Is it clean oil or really dirty oil? Not the gearbox is it?

Dry everything off with a clean rag and then run the engine and see where the oil drops are coming from.

It's not the gearbox for once. Since we had the oil-cooler moved the gearbox is much much happier and hardly leaks at all (touch wood!). The big problem is that oil is somehow getting on to the front pulley and gets distributed everywhere from there. I've identified one leak, from the front of the rocker shaft, but even with that bound up tightly with rags or kitchen roll (which certainly identifies that it is leaking there) the oil is still being sprayed around and I'm fearing that it may be the front crankshaft oil seal although I'm told that on this type of engine that seal never goes - but there's a first time for everything.

That's quite possible, they came up that way from Oundle. Then spent 3 weeks near there because their dog was very ill.

Thistle seems in good shape apart from a serious case of "middle-aged spread" which means she keeps getting stuck in the locks.

It's not the gearbox for once. Since we had the oil-cooler moved the gearbox is much much happier and hardly leaks at all (touch wood!). The big problem is that oil is somehow getting on to the front pulley and gets distributed everywhere from there. I've identified one leak, from the front of the rocker shaft, but even with that bound up tightly with rags or kitchen roll (which certainly identifies that it is leaking there) the oil is still being sprayed around and I'm fearing that it may be the front crankshaft oil seal although I'm told that on this type of engine that seal never goes - but there's a first time for everything.

Ok Allen,I understand.

First thing to do is check that all of the breathers are clear therefore not pressurising the crankcase. Take the engine dipstick out and if oil pours our when running then that is an indicator of pressurisation. There will be a thrower in the crankcase to stop oil coming out of the front seal. It will pour out of there if the case is pressurised. As it's a diesel, it might start dieseling with a pressureised crankcase. Make sure you can turn the fuel off immediately.

Blown head gasket, broken piston rings leaking valve seals etc cause this problem. Check the oil level when cold and ensure you have enough for the days running.

This is worst case, but chances are that a sudden oil leak is not quite what it seems.

.................the oil is still being sprayed around and I'm fearing that it may be the front crankshaft oil seal although I'm told that on this type of engine that seal never goes - but there's a first time for everything.

It does sound familiarly like our BMC was when we bought the boat.

We got the marina engineer to replace the front crankshaft oil seal, as I lacked confidence then to try.

It wasn't expensive on that engine, and sorted the problem.

But I accept the oil seal arrangements on a Perkins may be radically different and, as you suggest, they may be expected not leak, (and of course a lot more dismantilng could be required to replace it).

Still sounds like favourite to me, though.

Edited by alan_fincher

Well our favourite engineer has confirmed that it seems to be the crankshaft seal, even though it's the first time he's known one leak on an MC42. Coincidentally the O-ring at the front end of the rocker shaft is also leaking oil, but that isn't getting on to the pulley. So that's yet two more things to have repaired.

While we were at Braunston we were hailed by Bagpuss and Smelly - hi you two, it was good to meet you. Various other forum members have also said Hello over the last couple of days, so hi to you all.

Meanwhile we're now at the George and Dragon Wharf Inn at Fenny Compton. Two things it's gained since were last here: WiFi access and a Launderette. We're heading down to Thrupp, hopefully to have a mini-banter with Bones before we have to head home to await the arrival of Grandchild #2.

Edited to add: Starters served just after the main course, and sausages cooked presumably too quickly as nearly black on the outside but still raw in the middle. Not impressed!

Edited by Keeping Up

Next morning we met Aquagem but the wrong people were on board! (hi Janet)

Yes, indeed it was the wrong people on board! Myself, R.J. and his mum kidnapped Carrie~Lou for a long weekend. We're currently moored up a long-forgotten canal arm, frantically repainting the boat in a fetching shade of YSL pink, and she will shortly be renamed "Holly"....by the time Jan and Dave get back to the marina, she'll be long gone!

Sorry it was only a passing hello! We'll catch up with you again soon.

P8301767.jpg

P8301768.jpg

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Janet

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a highly successful tripp to Thrup, we're now home again at Stoke Hammond. Has anybody got a lawnmower that can cope with 2 foot grass (and maybe a mini dredger too).

It's been great to meet so many Forum members this year. Banters forever!

I'll be putting some trip details and piccies together as soon as I can.

Well after a highly successful tripp to Thrup, we're now home again at Stoke Hammond. Has anybody got a lawnmower that can cope with 2 foot grass (and maybe a mini dredger too).

It's been great to meet so many Forum members this year. Banters forever!

I'll be putting some trip details and piccies together as soon as I can.

Welcome home, ive enjoyed your updates :lol:

Think a scythe would come in handy :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on borrowing a decent strimmer!

The final mileage for our trip was a little disappointing this year, at just less than 1000 miles because of the time on the Pennines which was spent in doing all those bl**dy locks and hardly any mileage.

Using modern designations as per CanalPlanAC rather than being ultra-pedantic, the final tally of canals was:

Grand Union

Oxford

Stratford

Gloucester & Sharpness

Staffs and Worcester

Trent & Mersey

Macclesfield

Peak Forest

Huddersfield Narrow

Ashton

Rochdale

Bridgewater

Leeds & Liverpool

Shropshire Union

Llangollen

Montgomery

Worcester & Birmingham

and the BCN:

Old Main Line

New Main Line

Oozells Street Loop

Icknield Loop

Soho Loop

Tame Valley

Rushall

Daw End Branch

Wyrley & Essington

Anglesey Branch

I reckon that takes in virtually every major canal that we can reach, except for the Chesterfield (which we travelled last year) and the K&A (which we'll travel next year). The final verdict on the trip - a fantastic voyage. Of the HNC and Rochdale which were both new to us, I reckon the Rochdale is slightly the mnore scenic but such hard work atht we'll probably not do it again, while the HNC is almost as good and we'll do that again in a couple of years.