Boat Survey

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We were made an offer on Sploosh subject to survey. This was carried out about a week ago, and the surveyor reported the results to the buyers which seemed to be a full all over survey not just a hull one.

They have responded saying they need a number of items completing before they will proceed with the sale, but to be honest I am at a loss as why these would stop a sale since they are maintenance items rather than intergral problems which would cause issues.

Can I get an opinion on whether the issues below in your view should stop a sale of a boat. They are getting her for a very good price, and I am a little shocked that the things they want fixing seem to be the go or no go for the sale.

1) Sealing surfaces on the weed hatch truncking

2) ring of weld or short section of steel tube should be welded to the top of thw weed hatch to help correctly locate the quick release clamp screw

3) Height of rudder plate should be lifted to within 25mm of the underside of the uxter plate

4) two mdf panels on aft doors need to be replaced.

5) DC watt meter does not appear to work (solar panel is not attached to it now)

6) Chain on gas bottle needs removing

7) header tank for central heating system needs to be moved to be more accessible.

8) Fridge should be connected and tested.

Well, fridge was disconnected because it was going to be static for a while, so obviously turned off. The watt meter does not have a solar panel so it's not reading anything. The header tank is accessible as it wwas designed that way, and four screws and you are in.

These are all classed as maintenance level one work, i.e. maintenance. Nothing at all to report about.

It had it's BSC less than six months ago which passed it with flying colours and fully qualified marine engineer who gives it the once over every time we have a service (he is also corgi registered and does electrics).

So would this stop you from buying a boat? They said there was more, but they want this fixing before proceeding, and they want to move in in less than two weeks. Feeling a bit deflated ....

You certainly need to sort out no. 2. I found that my clamp wanders about all over the place on my weed hatch without a locating ring. Oh no, actually it doesn't. Was this surveyor wearing a big hat and accompanied by a furry, big eared chap?

Hi all,

We were made an offer on Sploosh subject to survey. This was carried out about a week ago, and the surveyor reported the results to the buyers which seemed to be a full all over survey not just a hull one.

They have responded saying they need a number of items completing before they will proceed with the sale, but to be honest I am at a loss as why these would stop a sale since they are maintenance items rather than intergral problems which would cause issues.

Can I get an opinion on whether the issues below in your view should stop a sale of a boat. They are getting her for a very good price, and I am a little shocked that the things they want fixing seem to be the go or no go for the sale.

2) ring of weld or short section of steel tube should be welded to the top of thw weed hatch to help correctly locate the quick release clamp screw

3) Height of rudder plate should be lifted to within 25mm of the underside of the uxter plate

5) DC watt meter does not appear to work (solar panel is not attached to it now)

7) header tank for central heating system needs to be moved to be more accessible.

Well, fridge was disconnected because it was going to be static for a while, so obviously turned off. The watt meter does not have a solar panel so it's not reading anything. The header tank is accessible as it wwas designed that way, and four screws and you are in.

These are all classed as maintenance level one work, i.e. maintenance. Nothing at all to report about.

It had it's BSC less than six months ago which passed it with flying colours and fully qualified marine engineer who gives it the once over every time we have a service (he is also corgi registered and does electrics).

So would this stop you from buying a boat? They said there was more, but they want this fixing before proceeding, and they want to move in in less than two weeks. Feeling a bit deflated ....

Good for them on gettinga full survey completed.

All items found in the survey (just like a house) represent a negotiation opportunity for the buyer. It is up to you whether you want to proceed at the offered price with these things fixed or perhaps offer some money off etc and not do them or thirdly refuse and hope they cave in.

I don't think the demands are unreasonable but of course I don't know the value of the boat or expectations of you or the prospective buyers.

With the possible exception of your number 3, (which I would want a fuller explanation of), this all looks like "noise". None of those things is hard to sort, and hardly negotiating points on a purchase.

If there are other items, they are hardly be likely to be more serious - why would they pick out anything other than the most important ones to tell you about.

Are they threatening to withdraw ? Or want money off ?

They will presumably lose a lot in survey, and possibly slipping fees if they do pull out. If they liked it enough to agree a sale, and to pay for a survey, surely they are not going to let it go over trivia like this ? If they do, then they are daft IMHO.

Good luck, I can't see why there's a problem.

alan

Hi all,

So would this stop you from buying a boat?

no.

some of the items are only preferential anyway.

if they are desperate to move they will negotiate or ignore these issues.

PS if that's all the surveyor could find it must be a damn good boat.

Edited by ChrisPy

1) Sealing surfaces on the weed hatch truncking Replace the sealing tape

2) ring of weld or short section of steel tube should be welded to the top of thw weed hatch to help correctly locate the quick release clamp screw Don't bother. Ours works fine like this

3) Height of rudder plate should be lifted to within 25mm of the underside of the uxter plate Forget it

4) two mdf panels on aft doors need to be replaced. Knock a bit off the price

5) DC watt meter does not appear to work (solar panel is not attached to it now) Show them the panel working the meter

6) Chain on gas bottle needs removing Get you hacksaw out

7) header tank for central heating system needs to be moved to be more accessible. Forget this too

8) Fridge should be connected and tested. Connect the fridge

Hi, my thoughts in Red above. This is all small stuff apart from raising the rudder and messing about with the header tank. Some of it appears to just be the opinion of the surveyor too where a different surveyor would say something else.

Richard

It wouldn't stop me buying a boat (most of it is pretty trivial) but it's really up to the person with the cheque book and if they don't want to, you can't force them to buy the boat.

It is up to you whether you want to push them a bit and suggest that the items are not worth worrying about and if they want to proceed, they should get on with it.

At the end of the day they want to get it as cheap as possible and you want to sell it for as much as possible.

I'd do exactly what they've done, if I was buying, and tell myself to get stuffed, if I was selling (if you see what I mean).

It sounds to me like they are into negotiating territory. We negotiated when we bought our boat - although we offered the asking price we got some extras thrown in (new BSC, blacking, anodes etc) within the price, which we were satisfied with.

Although it sounds like you would be disappointed to lose the sale, why not go back and try to meet them half way? You could agree to make the changes for £xxxx above their offer. If they've offered your asking price, you could either increase the price a little subject to the work being done, or offer to fix some of the things on the list - presumably you could do some of them yourself at no cost?

Are you going through a broker? Sometimes brokers will encourage buyers to negotiate, especially if they sense reluctance from the potential buyers - it's their commission at stake. Perhaps you could speak to the buyer directly, to sound them out? If it's their first boat, they may just be nervous of any problems and scared about getting them fixed (or getting ripped off), hence wanting you to take responsibility. They might happily pay a bit more for this peace of mind.

Don't lose hope. I think it's likely that they've fallen in love with your boat but have read forums like this one - which emphasises caveast emptor, and the importance of surveys - and are playing it very very safe. It's time for a conversation and a bit of negotiation...

Good luck!

Thanks. I can see all your points. I just see some items that need a bit of maintenance (find me a boat that doesn't), but it certainly wouldn't stop me moving into it, but then we have loved and cared for the boat and spent a fortune on her, and we have every scrap of paper work to prove it.

We can connect the fridge no problem, watt meter we would need a solar panel, ours got stoned by hoodies o0n our warwickshire ring trip last year, but it was added rather than standard equipment.

Thanks. I can see all your points. I just see some items that need a bit of maintenance (find me a boat that doesn't), but it certainly wouldn't stop me moving into it, but then we have loved and cared for the boat and spent a fortune on her, and we have every scrap of paper work to prove it.

We can connect the fridge no problem, watt meter we would need a solar panel, ours got stoned by hoodies o0n our warwickshire ring trip last year, but it was added rather than standard equipment.

you're not selling the boat with a solar panel. if they want to check if the watt meter works let them bring a panel and help them to connect it.

All trivial problems why not add to it ie small chip in paintwork,rubbing strakes scored, brasswork tarnished,grease around stern tube,water pump noisy etc etc 201.gif

At the end of the day its a used boat ,there is nothing in the list that is a serious problem

Negotiate, ask for a revised offer, meet them halfway (if reasonable). Swallow your indignation and get rid.

They don't want to lose the boat, you don't want to lose the sale. Your interests are congruent with theirs - just forget the idea that anything is etched in stone yet!

Edited by Machpoint005

Hi all,

Most surveyors virtually guarantee to find enough faults to cover the cost of their survey. If that's the best he can do you seem to be selling a pretty good boat.

George ex nb Alton retired

:lol: but are you getting another boat or moving back onto dry land?

Edited to say:

Sorry, don't read blogs but just skimmed yours, for the relevant information.

Same reason I moved back into a house and there's no better one!

Best of luck!!

Edited by carlt

As most have stated they ar eminor points and to conclude the deal would suggest that you offer to complete the obvious low cost items PDQ as oart of the offer to entice them,

depending on getting a quote to sort the items you cannot do yourself would then ask the buyers how quickly they want the boat and how important having these fixed by then is and then negoiate a balanced position..

You hardly ever sell or buy a car or house without some negoiation / adjustment etc subject to survey outcome... boats no different

It may also depend on what you had identified among these points to the buyers as to the status - eg fridge not connected was that pointed out -

I'd expect a fridge on board to be connected and working or start wondering what else wasnt right -

compromise and negoiate..

Hi all,

snip

This is the bit that would bother me. You do all these little jobs and they then turn up with another list.

I would ask what they are prepared to pay as it stands and then negotiate

At least they are mainly little things. When I sold Andante I got an offer for the (high) asking price, but he wanted a couple of things done. Then a couple more... by which time I'd lost a month of selling opportunities and was in a weaker bargaining position. When he did eventually hand over the cash I'd spent so much I would have been better off taking lower offer for the boat as it stood and saving all the hassle (only there wasn't a lower offer so I can't really complain).

I guess my point is that making a high offer and then asking for stuff to be done is really just a ploy for getting a low offer accepted, where the owner's pride wouldn't let them accept it outright (not that it would have bothered me).

It is a buyers market, do the deal where possible. Holding on may cost you extra mooring fees etc etc.

If they walk away remeber that if a new party asks if the boat has been surveyed then if you are honest and say yes but the deal fell through then that will create potential doubts.

Glad to hear there is nothing major so either adjust the price or be prepared to wait.

Surveyors are as different as chalk and cheese.

It is a Buyers market at present!!!!

It is a Buyers market at present!!!!

Is it though? A certain broker on here says there is a real shortage of decent boats for sale. That makes it a seller's market to me.

Gibbo

Please remember not every one is as knowledgeable about NBs as a lot of the people who have replied to the original post.

I bought a brand new NB and still had it surveyed.

When you have a survey you depend on the persons report 100% if you know nothing about NBs like me.

If a surveyor says there is a problem you tend to beleive them.

In house purchase surveys you either

Put a cost on the works and reduce price

Put all the works right

Take a risk if you fell in love with the house and ignore the survey.

Go and find another property

PS after 9 months ownership and 18 months reading this forum I have a bit more savvy in NBs can put oil, water in engine fuel in correct tank start engine moor up etc what else is ther to know ?????????????????????????????

PS after 9 months ownership and 18 months reading this forum I have a bit more savvy in NBs can put oil, water in engine fuel in correct tank start engine moor up etc what else is ther to know ?????????????????????????????

If that's all you've learned, I'd guess your loo is getting a bit full by now :lol:

If a surveyor says there is a problem you tend to beleive them.

But the problem with that is the boat (if being sold properly) will already have had the price set on the current condition of the boat..........

"It's this price because that's the condition it is in"

For someone to then expect a price reduction based on things a surveyor has found which the boat price was set on anyway is daft.

Take it to the extreme:-

Shell for sale. Surveyor says "Not fitted out, no engine, no batteries, no electrical system, no toilets etc". Does the purchaser then expect a £50,000 reduction on the £10,000 price?

Gibbo

Edited by Gibbo