We were spotted out and about

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Got an interesting phone call from a chap in Burton Waters this week. He had come up the Trent with us on our way home from York. He has spent three weeks tracking us down so that he could forward some photos. So i thought given all of his effort i should really share.

100_1751.jpg

100_1752.jpg

And i know the fenders are still down. We had just come out of the lock at Keadby with a couple of narrowboats.

100_1908.jpg

100_1909.jpg

And finally in the lock at Torksey. We had to wait for enough water to get us over the cill so the NB Neptune caught us up.

100_1947.jpg

100_1948.jpg

We didnt have enough water to get over the second cill in Torksey so the lockie held us under the bridge and used the large lock.

We had well and truely had enough by that point. It had been a long day, there was bugger all water in the Trent, we had grounded it once and almost grounded it a few other times and then got to the lock only just in front of the nb. It was the end of a very enjoyable but expensive week away and Torksey pretty much marks the end of our holiday. Usually look a little more cheerful than that.

100_1907.jpg

We had been more cheery earlier in the day.

Do you mind if I nominate you for today's Testicle Award For Dangly Fenders? I awarded it every day I was on the Thames, Ouse and Nene, it's good fun.

I will second that (not that I do it)

You of course know that it really isn't done when you have an AWB to leave the fenders out when moving, what would they say on YBW :lol:

J

for those that dont know:

AWB = Average White Boat

Edited by idleness

I will second that (not that I do it)

It really isn't done when you have an AWB to leave the fenders out when moving, what would they say on YBW :lol:

J

for those that dont know:

AWB = Average White Boat

Actually, on YBW, they'd say "Typical stinker, leaving the fenders out!"

But since when have we ever given a sh*t about what others think or do. Far too much effort taking them off every time we go out. They only come off if we go on a long journey. Keadby to Torksey wasnt really worth it.

AWB = Average White Boat

Better than your avergae tin sewer tube :lol:

Do you mind if I nominate you for today's Testicle Award For Dangly Fenders? I awarded it every day I was on the Thames, Ouse and Nene, it's good fun.

Or if you want to keep it clean, just think executive toys.....

2828878812_0515ef0004.jpg

Missed this one.

I dont mind. I'd rather win the testicle award then risk scuffing the gel coat.

Do you mean she looks a happy soul or a happy fish cause I think fish are happier than that.

They dont have a choice though fixed lips and all that.

Got an interesting phone call from a chap in Burton Waters this week. He had come up the Trent with us on our way home from York. He has spent three weeks tracking us down so that he could forward some photos. So i thought given all of his effort i should really share.

100_1751.jpg

100_1752.jpg

And i know the fenders are still down. We had just come out of the lock at Keadby with a couple of narrowboats.

100_1908.jpg

100_1909.jpg

And finally in the lock at Torksey. We had to wait for enough water to get us over the cill so the NB Neptune caught us up.

100_1947.jpg

100_1948.jpg

We didnt have enough water to get over the second cill in Torksey so the lockie held us under the bridge and used the large lock.

so how fast is the little deveil on the canal

100_1751.jpg

100_1752.jpg

100_1908.jpg

100_1909.jpg

100_1947.jpg

how fast dose the litttle deaivle go

100_1948.jpg

10 minutes scrolling to read 10 words!

Could you edit a few repeated pictures out?

Not being at home tonight, I am using a slow mobile broadband. It really does make a difference not having to D/L photos again and again.

Not being at home tonight, I am using a slow mobile broadband. It really does make a difference not having to D/L photos again and again.

Any sane browser will only download the pictures once, since the URL is repeated.

MP.

Any sane browser will only download the pictures once, since the URL is repeated.

MP.

Correct, but on the first time looking at the topic, it can take a while, and that is on Firefox and Chrome. It really just comes down to good posting ettiquette. Sorry it's just a hangover from spending a lot of time on usenet groups, not really being grumpy :lol:

We had well and truely had enough by that point. It had been a long day, there was bugger all water in the Trent, we had grounded it once and almost grounded it a few other times and then got to the lock only just in front of the nb. It was the end of a very enjoyable but expensive week away and Torksey pretty much marks the end of our holiday. Usually look a little more cheerful than that.

100_1907.jpg

We had been more cheery earlier in the day.

nice boat ,

You of course know that it really isn't done when you have an AWB to leave the fenders out when moving, what would they say on YBW :lol:

Actually, on YBW, they'd say "Typical stinker, leaving the fenders out!"

For those completely uninitiated in the customs of AWBs, can you please explain why it is considered such bad form ?

Thanks!

Its seens as bad seamanship.

Personally i prefer not spending 20 minutes hanging fenders every time i approach a lock or mooring.

So just "not done", rather than actually dodgy in any way ?

We did notice on the Thames that many boats were equipped with arrays of "silos" all the way around, that allowed speedy deployment of suitable fenders dependant on perceived risk. (Made them look a bit like a well armed motor torpedo boat....)

Small narrowboat = Medium sized fenders.

Big narrowboat = Space Hoppers.

Large barge = Moor up, and let it go through on it's own.....

As someone said, it seemed to give those aboard something to do between sipping the G&Ts, although personally I found the "try and get the rope over the bollard" thing the better spectator sport.