New member with new project

olly+molly

Featured Posts

Hello StéphanieA, thank you for this information, I sent a message to CRT, to ask them for information because indeed, by dint of looking I understood the English legislation for the channels. I sent them my BSS for the year 2010 so that they could find ME N THEE, I had also found the creightons on Canal plan Ac but ME N THE did not appear...Normally when the Creighton manufacturer approved its boat, he had to make a list with length, width, draft number of passengers allowed, maximum motorization etc... (I am asked that in France. For those who have Creightons, how do you know their year of manufacture if you don't have a builder's plate thank you all, Vincent

29 minutes ago, Gautier said:
Hello StéphanieA, thank you for this information, I sent a message to CRT, to ask them for information because indeed, by
 dint of looking I understood the English legislation for the channels. I sent them my BSS for the year 2010 so that 
they could find ME N THEE, I had also found the creightons on Canal plan Ac but ME N THE did not appear...
Normally when the Creighton manufacturer approved its boat, he had to make a list with length, width, draft number of passenger
s allowed, maximum motorization etc... (I am asked that in France. For those who have Creightons, how do you know their
 year of manufacture if you don't have a builder's plate thank you all, Vincent

I think that you are getting confused by the RCD legislation, that is what demands those things you list. Your Creighton was manufactured tens of years before the RCD was even thought of and probably only sold in the UK market. No such legislation was in force at the time. The sales brochure would have given length, bean, draft and number of berths and perhaps the recommended engine power but that is all.

Basically you seem to be looking for a document that never existed and such data that did had no legal standing apart from having to be true.

I am sure  someone here knows roughly when Creightons were in production so just pick a year if you do not have the original bill of sale/receipt.The boat is so old it won't make any difference if it is wrong in my view.

Edited by Tony Brooks

It might help to not really think about the fact that the boat was made in England, but just to think of it as an old boat which has not been in the water in France and follow the process for that. Many EU countries do not have compulsory registration for small boats, so it would be the same process as, for example, bringing a boat from the Netherlands.

If you can find the remains of a 5-digit (or maybe 6-digit) number somewhere on the outside of the cabin (maybe painted on, maybe an old sticker) then it is worth posting here as if that is the CRT/BW registration number it may be possible to find some details from that.

Alec

Hello, thank you for your answer, I have just had other information, obviously since Brexit, it was necessary to clear the boat from customs (price?) then have it appraised for European standards (price around 5000 euros) ... it does not doesn't feel good for my little boat "ME N THEE" I keep fighting, hope makes me live!!!

1 minute ago, Gautier said:
Hello, thank you for your answer, I have just had other information, obviously since Brexit, it was necessary to clear the boat from customs (price?) then have it appraised for European standards (price around 5000 euros) ... it does not doesn't feel good for my little boat "ME N THEE" I keep fighting, hope makes me live!!!

The information you have been given is wrong. Firstly, if it was already in France before Brexit then no VAT applies (it will be duty-exempt too - just choose the right customs code). Secondly, I can't comment on regulations in France, but if the boat is older than the Recreational Craft Directive (which this one definitely is) then it does not apply retrospectively. I think you may need to find a more knowledgeable person in France who can help guide you through the paperwork.

I did this the other way, with a boat from the Netherlands. It was built in the 1930s and had no paperwork other than a bill of sale. I used an agent who was helpful, but there were points where I knew more than they did.

Alec

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I can't help thinking this has nothing to do with UK documentation but everything to do with when imported into France. I think you need the import date to show it was pre the RCD regulations.

I think it will be two bits of information which matter. The first is the import date to show it was pre-Brexit which covers the duty and VAT questions (although duty will be zero against the tax codes - if needed I have these as they are international). The second is the build date to show it was before the RCD. This is more difficult, but if you can show that the company was no longer trading before the start of the RCD, or you can find paperwork (even an advertisement) which shows when Creighton boats were being built.

'Creighton' is too vague I'm afraid to find more about the company, but if anyone has some information about the company, maybe an advert from an old Waterways World which gives the company address? then that would be enough to find them.

Alec

The French maritime authorities are very much a rule unto themselves, the UK laws, the French laws and even the EU rules seem to have very little meaning to them.

To cite an example :

An elderly British couple took their sailing yacht to France, when they came to leave the Authoritoes refused to allow them the exit papers because ...................

The boat was capable (rated) for 6 people and they only had a 4-person liferaft on board, despite their being only two of them on board the boat must meet the rules.

They purchased a 6 person liferaft (which they were unable to lift) had it delivered on board by the chanders, they were inspected, and allowed to leave.

A bit more information which might help:

http://norfolk.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Creighton_Caravan_Co._(Nelson,_Lancashire) - states production from the mid-1960s to 1975 which puts a date range. Also:

states In the shower/toilet there should be a plaque with a date number on.

Alec

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, here it is after weeks of administrative hassles...I managed to register ME'N'THEE, creighton 26, thank you very much to all those who tried to help me, to orient me, I will be able to navigate with my boat on the French canals, good evening to all. vincent
  • Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Gautier said:
Hello, here it is after weeks of administrative hassles...I managed to register ME'N'THEE, creighton 26, thank you very much to all those who tried to help me, to orient me, I will be able to navigate with my boat on the French canals, good evening to all. vincent

Congratulations, well done.