Another call for information...!

Admiral

Featured Posts

The two people standing on the roof are Leslie Brotherton (Principal Youth Officer), and Laurie Gleeson (Youth Officer responsible for Outdoor Pursuits) The chap in the foreground in a tweed jacket is Mike Day, and the girl next to him is his girlfriend Megan. The chap on the working boat with his back to the photographer, and talking to Joe Skinner looks like Dennis Papworth.

The engine may have been dated 1970, but it cetainly was not fitted then, We took Pisces to the Northampton IWA Rally in 1971 and the Turner was still in her then. I always understood that the Lister was fitted when the new cabin was put on, and the engine hole restored to it's correct position.

I am fairly certain that it was at the Northampton rally that we took up the challenge of a tug of war from Binky Bush on PEARL We tied a line bow to bow and pulled her the full length of the rally. From recollection Pearl had a 36hp lister (but I do not know which model) which is the same horse power the Turner was rated at.

PEARL (originally F.M.C.Ltd. steamer BARON) was fitted with a three cylinder Bolinder 1053BR cold start full diesel of 35hp when at the Northampton rally in 1971, and I think may still be in the boat now. This had originally been supplied as a new engine to W. Cresswell & Son., Oldbury on 04/06/1956 for their wooden tug CORONATION No. 2 and was fitted into PEARL in about 1960 (which was also owned by Cresswell's at that time).

PEARL (originally F.M.C.Ltd. steamer BARON) was fitted with a three cylinder Bolinder 1053BR cold start full diesel of 35hp when at the Northampton rally in 1971, and I think may still be in the boat now. This had originally been supplied as a new engine to W. Cresswell & Son., Oldbury on 04/06/1956 for their wooden tug CORONATION No. 2 and was fitted into PEARL in about 1960 (which was also owned by Cresswell's at that time).

I knew it was a three cylinder, and I can remember Binky Bush boasting that it was the most powerful engine in a narrowbaoat at the time, we proved him to be wrong.

was fitted with a three cylinder Bolinder 1053BR cold start full diesel of 35hp when at the Northampton rally in 1971, and I think may still be in the boat now.

It is indeed still in Baron. Not sure if it runs anymore. Last time I saw it the whole boat was a real state.

It is indeed still in Baron. Not sure if it runs anymore. Last time I saw it the whole boat was a real state.

It's down at Denham Deep, where it seems to have a new life as a recently started up, (and cheap!), coal and fuel operation.

Someone said it's static, though, I think.

The hull is indeed badly in need of some TLC, although I don't remember the rest of it looking too bad.

Hi

Well firstly is get the hull sorted out! It will be unconverted. I agree with the other than FMC thing, I even have thought about calling it Adder again and decking the hold would be nice to have no clothes to muck about with, but is sure a waste of space. I like the Leonard Leigh colours would be very different, I don't think I have ever seen a full length motor in those colours? Would like to get a photo of it working for him that would be fun, paint is always the easy part. Did you ever get hold of me mum and dad?

Steve

I did indeed. Got an invite out to Canada too - which I may well have to take up!.

Beatlejuice is currently being painted in what look like Leonard Leigh Colours. I will get some pics of it when it is finished.

I did indeed. Got an invite out to Canada too - which I may well have to take up!.

Beatlejuice is currently being painted in what look like Leonard Leigh Colours. I will get some pics of it when it is finished.

Would be great to see it LL colours, send on........

you'd enjoy a trip to Canada don't go in the winter!!

O.K., so while we are on the subject of engines when did the AS3 go into SATELLITE, and what happened to the AS2 (i.e. has it gone into another boat) ?

From what I remember the AS3 went in in 1999 with parson F box. It came out of a P&O lifeboat and was made by parsons underlicence as the Peregrine (I believe). I understand that after being in the lifeboat it then went into a dredger called the Beaver. AS2 went bang and was dismantled for spares.

Would be great to see it LL colours, send on........

Will do. PM me your email.

Edited by Satellite

From what I remember the AS3 went in in 1999 with parson F box. It came out of a P&O lifeboat and was made by parsons underlicence as the Peregrine (I believe). I understand that after being in the lifeboat it then went into a dredger called the Beaver. AS2 went bang and was dismantled for spares.

Parsons were marinisers, they didn't make engines, not in living memory anyway. They did a lot of Fords.

The marinised AS2 was sold as the Parsons Merganser, don't know what the 3-cyl was called, I'd have expected a more watery name.

Tim

So it made made by AS but marinised by parsons. Thanks Tim. I'm 90% sure it was called the peregrine but would stand to be corrected.

Tim is quite correct, Parsons made the gearboxes and fitted them to other manufacturers engines. In the case of the Armstrong Siddley range of engines they were marketed as:

Parsons Goosander - Armstrong Siddley AS1 mated to Parsons box

Parsons Merganser - Armstrong Siddley AS2 mated to Parsons box

Parsons Peregrine - Armstrong Siddley AS3 mated to Parsons box

A true Parsons marine unit that uses an Armstrong Siddley AS model will have two brass serial number plates, one on each side of the fan shroud / bell housing. They are clearly marked as to which is the Armstrong Siddley number and which is the Parsons number.

• 6 years later...

Well a bit late for this thread (only 7 years, not bad for the cut) but my parents used to own Adder (as they thought it was called) AKA France 2376 in the 60s. My father was the aforemnetioned Eric Pike. Have some pics so if anyone is interested let me know. Cheers.