interesting article about the River Lee

Lady Muck

Featured Posts

Sounds a bit confusing ... some bits will get dredged and some bits won't ... and some bits might end up deep enough and some won't ... and possibly they'll remove the risk of a smell :lol: .. poor old River Lea, still I hope they leave it in better shape that it was before the Olympics (I have fond memories of that area from student days LOL).

All they had to do was ask us that used the Bow Back Rivers and we could have told them exactly where the dredging was needed.

As for the state of Bow Locks BW should be brought to book for the appauling condition these are in, 1 lock leaking like a good un and the other blocked off completely.

City Mill and Carpenter's road locks are both a disgrace and should have been maintained properly, now they propose to hide Carpenter's road lock under a building!!

the only thing that the olympics have done for the east end is highlight the huge backlog of maintenance that BW have left for over 30 years!!

All they had to do was ask us that used the Bow Back Rivers and we could have told them exactly where the dredging was needed.

As for the state of Bow Locks BW should be brought to book for the appauling condition these are in, 1 lock leaking like a good un and the other blocked off completely.

City Mill and Carpenter's road locks are both a disgrace and should have been maintained properly, now they propose to hide Carpenter's road lock under a building!!

the only thing that the olympics have done for the east end is highlight the huge backlog of maintenance that BW have left for over 30 years!!

I thought that was the whole idea? Rebuild all the knackered bits they haven't maintained, using Olympics funds rather than BW funds. Which is pretty crafty by BW standards - good luck to 'em, if they can get away with it.

The Bow Back Rivers were dredged a few years ago when they became non tidal, I was not aware that they needed dredging again, certainly not the last few times I have navigated them.

There is only one lock at Bow now, there is hardly the demand for a second one!, Have used it a number of times without seeing it leaking I find it difficult to believe that they leak badly seeing that their are two pairs of gates at the downstram end.

The Bow back rivers are remainder waterways which BW are under no obligation to restore although City Road lock has been restored using others money and now only awiats the installation of gate & paddle gear. Carpenters road lock is being built over by a temporary bridge which will be removed at the end of the games.

The state of these waterways is no worse than when I first boated them 25 years ago and in many respects they arre considerably better. The lagacy from the games will be much improved system in what was a s**t hole of an area.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

and how is this using funds to maintain?

I didn't say it was - that's my point. IF BW have managed to secure extra funding for things which they should have done anyway, which is what I thought they were up to, that's a neat trick. If they've wasted the opportunity and made things worse, shame on them.

The Bow Back Rivers were dredged a few years ago when they became non tidal, I was not aware that they needed dredging again, certainly not the last few times I have navigated them.

There is only one lock at Bow now, there is hardly the demand for a second one!, Have used it a number of times without seeing it leaking I find it difficult to believe that they leak badly seeing that their are two pairs of gates at the downstram end.

The Bow back rivers are remainder waterways which BW are under no obligation to restore although City Road lock has been restored using others money and now only awiats the installation of gate & paddle gear. Carpenters road lock is being built over by a temporary bridge which will be removed at the end of the games.

The state of these waterways is no worse than when I first boated them 25 years ago and in many respects they arre considerably better. The lagacy from the games will be much improved system in what was a s**t hole of an area.

Tim

as it is a while since I last visited I take it you have been round more recently than me but a regular lack of depth was always found between cooks and marshgate lane bridges, even to the point of being impassable on one such trip, this was after the dredging exercise (by if I remember correctly) land & water.

whilst I appreciate the comment on remainder waterways it does not negate the need to maintain them a small fact BW so convieniently forgets!

Carpenter's rd will be buried "and afterwards the bridge removed" I very much doubt it will happen and the bridge will become a permanent blockage as the inoperable lock is now

the s**t hole area tag is sadly justified as BW have done sod all in the area for years.

so what happens when the single lock at Bow fails again as it has in the past? with both chambers operational at least passage was maintained and again BW are allowing deterioration of the waterways they are supposed to be looking after!