Stolen or Not Stolen 50ft Bengal

Captjac

Featured Posts

I have just seen on a forum a report of a 50ft Nb Bengal No 73456

Share owned by P.A.Jones.

Allegedly stolen from Pillings Lock Marina on or about 13.April 09.

Mr Jones beleives the boat was hired out illegally without a licence.

He also desires assistance with sightings and recovery.

Strikes me we have very little info again.

I have no way to contact Mr Jones from Pillings Lock Marina does anyone else know more?

Captjac

of GPS Rec Sys

I think I saw a boat called Bengal on the easter weekend. When did it go missing?

also i'm doing a full run of the soar next weekend, pics and some contact details please.

We are doing the Leicester ring next week and will keep an eye open if we have some more details.

Nick

BW number 73456 appears to make this no later than a 1986 built boat, so at least 23 years old.

I know some "share" boats, and even some hire boats are that old, but that makes it fairly unusual, surely ?

I'd suggest that the (part ?) owner signs up to the forum, gives some more details, and generally demonstrates their comnmitment to wanting it found.

Obviously as the builder shows as "Unknown", knowing that, along with style of boat, (trad/cruiser/semi - windows, portholes), would be helpful, as would some pictures too.

Quote from NBW

A NARROWBOAT, a 50ft trad named Bengal, index number 73456 was taken from Pillings Lock Marina on the Soar on or around the 13/4/09 without permission, it's 50% owner, P A Jones, tells us.

He believes it was hired out without a hire licence, and as far as he is concerned the boat has been stolen, and would appreciate being contacted on sighting of the boat, and would assist in its recovery.

Reading this I take it the 2 owners don't get on :lol: and the other has lent the boat to a third party without Mr Jones permission.

Quote from NBW

Reading this I take it the 2 owners don't get on :lol: and the other has lent the boat to a third party without Mr Jones permission.

Hi guys, im new to boating so have not posted in this section before.

I have all my vans in my company tracked live (30 second intervals) this lets me monitor what time a driver starts work in the morning, his speed, his breaks and also lets me tell customers when to expect the van, this works out at just 50p per day per van for this GPS system..a little excessive for a narrow boat.

But what about GPRS?..this uses the mobile phone network to triangulate the trackers position and is dumb until the GPRS system is asked to report its position (for the price of a text message) and could be easily fitted to any boat very discreetly for very little cost and im sure will use next to no battery power.

I’m not a salesman and are in no way connected to any company selling these products but as an example I have found 1 on eBay so you can see what im talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-GPS-GPRS-Anti-th...A1%7C240%3A1318

Justin

Hi Justin,

We have recently introduced the same sort of thing where I work. We have 3 vans and it's £1 per dya for all 3 so a slightly cheaper deal.

I wonder if it would be possible for a big group off here to do the same? The more you have the cheaper you would most likely get it, maybe?

Hi guys, im new to boating so have not posted in this section before.

I have all my vans in my company tracked live (30 second intervals) this lets me monitor what time a driver starts work in the morning, his speed, his breaks and also lets me tell customers when to expect the van, this works out at just 50p per day per van for this GPS system..a little excessive for a narrow boat.

But what about GPRS?..this uses the mobile phone network to triangulate the trackers position and is dumb until the GPRS system is asked to report its position (for the price of a text message) and could be easily fitted to any boat very discreetly for very little cost and im sure will use next to no battery power.

I'm not a salesman and are in no way connected to any company selling these products but as an example I have found 1 on eBay so you can see what im talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-GPS-GPRS-Anti-th...A1%7C240%3A1318

Justin

I wouldn't have thought that 50p per day, if hiring out your craft, was excessive, that's about £150 per year, very low cost to keep track of a £50k+ boat.

I don't know if it's that cheap for just one boat, but I suppose you could always get together with others if not, to keep the costs down, if it's feasable.

I wonder what the setup costs are?

That one on ebay must be delivered by hand at £44 P&P, but I get the idea. :lol:

Hope we get a bit more info on the missing boat and some pics, preferrably very soon. :lol:

Edit. Looks like we are thinking alike Liam, could be a good idea, what do others think?

Edited by johnjo

I have put a call into Pillings Lock Marina in an effort to contact Mr Jones. If and when he phones me back I will post info here.

Yes I will mention my GRPS Tracking system

Capt Jac

It is all very well mentioning your Tracking System but really not a lot of help. How much and where from plus how does it work would be more useful.

Sue

It is all very well mentioning your Tracking System but really not a lot of help. How much and where from plus how does it work would be more useful.

Sue

Also when I raised the question of effectiveness when hidden inside a steel narrowboat the reply was, shall I say, less than reassuring.

Sue..the link to the device was on my first post above.

There are 2 differant systems.

The live trackers that are fitted to vans monitoring every 30 seconds 24 hours a day that cost around 50p per day plus the cost of the reciever (i paid £500 inc for each box).

The sort i was sugesting for the boats is the GPRS sytem though.

As far as i know you buy the box off ebay, fit a pay as you go SIM to it then hard wire the charger part into your boat so its always charged.

These GPRS systems have no running costs but only report back when you ask them to via a text message so the only outlay would be the cost of the box and the cost of a text when you wanted to track the boat.

Sorry if i didnt make it clear in my first post.

Justin

Well I put a call into Pilling Lock Marina. They said they would try and get intouch with Mr Jones. He still has not come back to me and I have not seen anything on any other forum. So I don't know anymore than I did this morning. (Apathy sets in)

Capt Jac

p.s. £500 is a lot of money for a GPS Tracker, set against a boat of £20--70k it's pea nuts. If £50 does the job great, if i don't last it's not great.

You get what you pay for--you only get out what you put in, Mr Jones is on a sticky wicket. More info P.M. me

Sue..the link to the device was on my first post above.

There are 2 differant systems.

The live trackers that are fitted to vans monitoring every 30 seconds 24 hours a day that cost around 50p per day plus the cost of the reciever (i paid £500 inc for each box).

The sort i was sugesting for the boats is the GPRS sytem though.

As far as i know you buy the box off ebay, fit a pay as you go SIM to it then hard wire the charger part into your boat so its always charged.

These GPRS systems have no running costs but only report back when you ask them to via a text message so the only outlay would be the cost of the box and the cost of a text when you wanted to track the boat.

Sorry if i didnt make it clear in my first post.

Justin

I didn't realise the ebay link was to Capt jacs system. Being on mobile I don't usually click links.

Sue

guys is tracking your boat is what your after let me know.

i work within the capital equipment, and sell trackers all day long, and have a system that has a initial outcost of 600 odd quid, but there are no monthly charges, and can be tracked and disabled via a mobile phone as well as pc

Cheers

ross

p.s there are no aditional costs either

I actually find that very reassuring - now if QSS could be located I'd be happier still!

I think, if I had to make the choice between losing the boat or swmbo, I'd have to let the boat go....

I can always get another tender.

• 1 month later...
I have just seen on a forum a report of a 50ft Nb Bengal No 73456

Share owned by P.A.Jones.

Allegedly stolen from Pillings Lock Marina on or about 13.April 09.

Mr Jones beleives the boat was hired out illegally without a licence.

He also desires assistance with sightings and recovery.

Strikes me we have very little info again.

I have no way to contact Mr Jones from Pillings Lock Marina does anyone else know more?

Captjac

of GPS Rec Sys

Just to let all you guys know, we are happy that this matter is simply a domestic dispute. I would like to make it clear that nothing has been stolen from Pilling's Lock - least of all a whole narrowboat! - and the current captain in charge of Bengal had paid all his mooring dues for many months before leaving us in a very honorable way.

I had advised Mr Jones many weeks ago that if he seeks possession of the vessel under any ownership dispute then he needs to contact the local authorities and take the matter further in accordance with the law.

We have not had any visits from the Police to support the fact this action may have been taken.

Regards

Paul.