Napton

Junemc153

Featured Posts

Their web site says they are closed on Sunday evenings, also on Mondays outside the School holidays.

I believe that is common to all the pubs around there

I have been there since the son and daughter in law took over. They are open to change. Just remembered, open on Sunday during the summer.

Edited by Yoda

I've eaten at The Folly a couple of times now and not been impressed with the food (sorry all you boaters who are fans). Their ploughmans is (IMHO) Tesco value ham, 2 slices of Tesco value sliced bread and a bit of cheddar and pickle- which I thought was pants for the money. (Felt like about 85p worth of food on the plate for something like six or seven quid?) And their ham and mustard pie is their ham and mushroom pie with mustard squirted in the top (not great if you don't like mushrooms). :lol: Side salad might as well be painted on the plate coz it's cheap tasteless and somewhat flacid. Because I'm not wild about the quality of the food I don't think it's great value for money. But the beer's good and the chips were alright, I'll give em that much.

Although I haven't eaten at the pub in the village (part way up the hill) I've seen the food they do (it was a function so dunno how it compares to whatever else they serve) and it looked good. Also the service is great (barman even offered to drive Kev and I back to the boatyard when we couldn't get a taxi) and weren't fussed about hurrying us up at the end of the night. I'd go there again instead anyday.

I'm no pubgrub snob and have eaten in my fair share of overpriced gastropubs as well bargain basement simple food pubs, and although the food at The Folly is no frills like The Navigation in Wootton Wawen and is priced similarly, it's nowhere near as good or as fresh nor do they seem to care what it tastes like. To be honest I'd prefer a Wetherspoons to The Folly foodwise. :lol: Microwave 'n' all.

Sorry all you fans, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

The pub in the village is the Crown, run by Jonny who is a wonderful and freindly chap. I have had many great nights in there. I understand a restaurant has opened in there too, I have not eaten in it myself but have been told it is very good - and they are a discerning lot in Napton! The village is very pretty so it is worth a little walk to have a look around.

The pub in the village is the Crown, run by Jonny who is a wonderful and freindly chap. I have had many great nights in there. I understand a restaurant has opened in there too, I have not eaten in it myself but have been told it is very good - and they are a discerning lot in Napton! The village is very pretty so it is worth a little walk to have a look around.

I'd say the Crown is good only eaten there once mind but I liked it and its a nice all round pub.

I've eaten in the Folly too and had one of their pies which was quite nice the rest was very ordinary.

I've eaten at The Folly a couple of times now and not been impressed with the food (sorry all you boaters who are fans). Their ploughmans is (IMHO) Tesco value ham, 2 slices of Tesco value sliced bread and a bit of cheddar and pickle- which I thought was pants for the money. (Felt like about 85p worth of food on the plate for something like six or seven quid?) And their ham and mustard pie is their ham and mushroom pie with mustard squirted in the top (not great if you don't like mushrooms). :lol: Side salad might as well be painted on the plate coz it's cheap tasteless and somewhat flacid. Because I'm not wild about the quality of the food I don't think it's great value for money. But the beer's good and the chips were alright, I'll give em that much.

Sorry all you fans, but that's just my opinion.

I agree 100% very average food over priced The Folly has gone downhill over the last few years the beer is not great either, I would recomend the Crown or if you are in a car and meeting for lunch then I would recomend the Two Boats at Long Itchington good value food and good beer and only about 5/10 mins by car from Napton Boat Hire

I agree 100% very average food over priced The Folly has gone downhill over the last few years the beer is not great either, I would recomend the Crown or if you are in a car and meeting for lunch then I would recomend the Two Boats at Long Itchington good value food and good beer and only about 5/10 mins by car from Napton Boat Hire

Oh Yes, Two boats at Long Itch is great, very nice to sit outside by the canal and have lunch - very pretty walk along the tow path looking at the boats too.

I have not eaten there in recent years, but the beer we had there last week was OK - Jouster, or something like that. (It had a picture of a Knight on Horseback on the pump shield)

When it first opened, the food at the Folly was fantastic. Everything was a pie. We looked at the menu and chose but our (then) young son said he didn't want a pie, he wanted sausages and baked beans. No problem, they said, we'll do you a sausage and baked bean pie. He ate every mouthful, and it became one of their standard menu items for years. In the last few years the food has been rather less fantastic.

Thanks everybody- it looks like the Bridge for us. Menu on the website looks fab.

Now Counting down the days

June

The Bridge used to be excellent but over the last year or so since it changed hands the food has been decidedly average. We used to regularly book a table and you had to well in advance but have now stopped going there. The beer was still good though.

We went to the King's Head, also in the village of Napton, last Friday 17th. Very quiet, but good food, very friendly staff (under new management), Hook Norton beer.

We'd also recommend the Cuttle Inn at Long Itchinton.