Slough Arm

MaJ

Featured Posts

Use it or loose it....

In the 1970s it came close to being filled in.

Now if they had only taken it a bit further, and joined it to the Thames, it would be a far more popular piece of water!

It's just over 2 miles to the Thames at Eton and much less to the new flood relief channel.

I once went all the way to the end of the Slough Arm. Absolutely nothing there, I ate a pot noodle and went back. Either join it to the Thames or fill it in. It serves no purpose!

And it is just an observation - The Iver moorings; I have never come past such a miserable moorings, miserable people in scruffy boats staring and moaning out their side-hatches. Perhaps I caught them on a bad day!

And it is just an observation - The Iver moorings; I have never come past such a miserable moorings, miserable people in scruffy boats staring and moaning out their side-hatches. Perhaps I caught them on a bad day!

Several members of this parish moor there. There'll be trouble now...........

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

Dig up the Slough Arm and move it somewhere more useful! Why not have a canal from somewhere between Bulls Bridge/West Drayton to the Thames instead of a third runway at Heathrow? (there are plenty of waterways in the area that need TLC)

Edited by fender

what the attraction is????

Combined attractions - from 2008 trip - here from which, we should select for special attention, the end:

P1233607.JPG

which wins the prize for the seventh most boring place on the waterways (much too boring to be the most boring place).

More interesting, (no, really - really more interesting) are the three aqueducts near the CowleyPeachey end. Then we have the nice bright yellow BW notice for boats approaching the junction from the Slough direction saying 'Dead Slow Give Way' to boats leaving the marina. That's the marina entrance to the left and the main junction ahead of Fulbourne in the distance. P1233663.JPG

!

I was typing out a long reply but I got fed up and decided just to hang out of my scruffy side hatch instead shaking my fist at some passing ducks

Dig up the Slough Arm and move it somewhere more useful! Why not have a canal from somewhere between Bulls Bridge/West Drayton to the Thames instead of a third runway at Heathrow? (there are plenty of waterways in the area that need TLC)

Or the Ouse at Bedford and the GU.

WarriorWoman would be forever thankful that the Nene was no longer a required part of any canal trip!

I understood there was one there already...... :lol:

You may or may not realise I am talking in relation to the Slough Arm. Whilst there is the main line route to Brentford, it is a fairly useless route for today's leisure needs. The talk of the extension of the Slough Arm to the Thames (or the Jubilee River) near Windsor hasnt produced anything concrete.

One problem is the built up areas and the reservoirs in the way southwards of Slough. There are many watercourses, the Crane, the Colne, Longford (CCL) etc which may offer some potential with being incorporated into a canal scheme that will allow boaters to enter the Thames nearer Staines/Windsor and so be able to use the Royal River more constructively without having to go via Brentford.

I see the bods at Maidenhead are using a mix of existing and new watercourses to achieve their objectives. (slightly different situation for the CCL area as its totally new navigation) So its possible here. Just need to scrap the Slough connection and look for a different route. As for that, surely the residents of Simpson/Colne would rather see a new canal than a new obnoxious third runway?????? Or further expansion of that ugly Heathrow megapolis.

Edited by fender

Back in the 70's we would leave the Shovel (when it was a pub) at closing time and set off on a booze cruise. I woke up one morning with the boat drifting in a basin. On enquiring in the local shop the cheery asian gentleman told me I was in Slough. So I went back to bed. When I woke up again the boat was back at Cowley.

Was it all a dream?

No, because in those days one was able to get a plaque from the slough canal arm society (or whatever) if you managed to get to the end. And the plaque was proudly displayed for many years.

Back in the 70's we would leave the Shovel (when it was a pub) at closing time and set off on a booze cruise. I woke up one morning with the boat drifting in a basin. On enquiring in the local shop the cheery asian gentleman told me I was in Slough. So I went back to bed. When I woke up again the boat was back at Cowley.

Was it all a dream?

No, because in those days one was able to get a plaque from the slough canal arm society (or whatever) if you managed to get to the end. And the plaque was proudly displayed for many years.

Any chance of a film version of your expereince?

Slough-hog Day?