Pomona Lock Fees

Liam

Featured Posts

Had the following email from Mike Webb from the MSCCo / Peel Holdings...

BRIDGEWATER CANAL

POMONA LOCK FEES 2009/10

Notice is hereby given that Pomona Lock fees are to be increased to £21.00 per craft per lock with immediate effect until further notice.

Craft returning through the Lock on the same day will only be charged a single fee.

Please note charges for the use of Pomona Lock are not applicable to Bridgewater Canal licence holders

The Bridgewater Canal Company Limited

Peel Dome

The Trafford Centre

Manchester

M17 8PL

Date 2nd April 2009

email mwebb@peel.co.uk

Telephone number 0161 629 8266

Website www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk

The way I see it is that you don't really get something for nothing though, as it is covered in your original license fees. I see it the other way, and with the current restrictions they have in place I can't help feeling that it isn't fair.

We're currently limited to imbetween May and September and have to give 1 weeks notice and there needs to be at least 2 boats to drop down as they (the lockies) won't turn up for a single boater. What makes it worse is that the trip boat, who although is a wide beam boat, can go up and down the lock as they please, at any time of day or night all through the year. Also, why is it the case that the water sports centre is allowed free and unmetered access into the Quays when narrowboats/cruisers aren't. Not fair!

Rant over :lol:

We're currently limited to imbetween May and September and have to give 1 weeks notice and there needs to be at least 2 boats to drop down as they (the lockies) won't turn up for a single boater.

Would they turn out for one boat paying double the fee?

Edited by Hairy-Neil

• 11 years later...
On 17/04/2009 at 15:33, Machpoint005 said:

Given that at least two people have to turn up to do the job, I'd say £21 was excellent value!

But its just a lock.....nothing technical about its operation...It just shows that Peel haven't really moved on from their roots as a bunch of cowboy wheel clamp operators...they only brought the Bridgewater to get the property rights

New booking system :

Passage booking on the Bridgewater Canal goes live on 29 March

It’s rather timely that with a return to boating within touching distance, boaters can now book their passage on the Bridgewater Canal online.

An agreement between the Trust and the Bridgewater Canal Company means that boaters can now spend up to ten days cruising away from their home navigation free of charge. There are no restrictions about how far you can travel, but you will need to book your passage online and return to your home navigation authority within the ten days. You can revisit the other authority’s water again after a 28-day period.

Holiday hire boats, whichever waterway they are based on, will have unlimited access across both navigations.

Richard Parry, chief executive of the Trust, comments: “I am pleased that this agreement with the Bridgewater Canal Company will give boaters easier, and more, access to the canals of the North West – regardless of which navigation authority they are licensed with. We look forward to welcoming boaters from the Bridgewater Canal on to our network.”

Peter Parkinson, Director of the Bridgewater Canal, agrees: “It’s great that we’ve been able to come to this agreement. The Bridgewater Canal has a lot to offer, it was constructed over 250 years ago by the Duke of Bridgewater and is considered to be the first true canal in England. Built at one level, its route followed the contours of the land to avoid the use of locks. Attractions include the 12th Century monastic ruins at Norton Priory through to Worsley Delph, the entrance to the underground canals in the Duke of Bridgewater’s mines.”

More information on booking passages online (for a variety of waterway structures) can be found on our website.

39 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are no restrictions about how far you can travel, but you will need to book your passage online and return to your home navigation authority within the ten days. You can revisit the other authority’s water again after a 28-day period.

In all the stuff about this agreement since they first announced it I've yet to see them confirm that it is "acceptable" to

Cruise North from Preston Brook towards Leigh one weekend

Do the Liverpool Link in the week

Cruise South from Leigh to Preston Brook the next weekend.

Also two years ago we came off the Weaver, worked out we had some spare time and went to Lymn for the night (and a few beers). Are they really suggesting you now have to book online to do something like that? 

14 minutes ago, StephenA said:

In all the stuff about this agreement since they first announced it I've yet to see them confirm that it is "acceptable" to

Cruise North from Preston Brook towards Leigh one weekend

Do the Liverpool Link in the week

Cruise South from Leigh to Preston Brook the next weekend.

Also two years ago we came off the Weaver, worked out we had some spare time and went to Lymn for the night (and a few beers). Are they really suggesting you now have to book online to do something like that? 

Apparently for once its down to Peel rather than CRT.....and they didn't want to give what they did....I think you should be able to do what you suggest now but who knows with Pell....I think Sonny might be testing the depth of the bridgewater again.....

After much faffing about on the CaRT site, which seemed to remember me as having a login, but forgotten everything else about it, (although they are still sending stoppage noticesof interest), I went to the bookings section.

Couldn't find any mention of the Bridgewater ...

48 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

After much faffing about on the CaRT site, which seemed to remember me as having a login, but forgotten everything else about it, (although they are still sending stoppage noticesof interest), I went to the bookings section.

Couldn't find any mention of the Bridgewater ...

That is because in bold headlines in Alan's quote it states

Passage booking on the Bridgewater Canal goes live on 29 March

Edited by PeterF