Engine size required for tidal River trent

getitpainted

Featured Posts

Hi. We are looking at buying our first boat and keeping it on the River Trent. We would want to be able to take it sometimes on the tidal section of the River Trent and would like to know what is the minimum size engine that is recommended. We are looking at a boat that has a new Barrus Shire 3 cylinder 35hp. If anyone has any experience of this engine on rivers I would be grateful to hear from you.Thanks

Hi. We are looking at buying our first boat and keeping it on the River Trent. We would want to be able to take it sometimes on the tidal section of the River Trent and would like to know what is the minimum size engine that is recommended. We are looking at a boat that has a new Barrus Shire 3 cylinder 35hp. If anyone has any experience of this engine on rivers I would be grateful to hear from you.Thanks

:lol: Hi

Twenty years ago I did Keadby to nottingham on a 56 footer with an old 9 hp lister LR2, I picked my time and managed but would not recommend it. I have since done it several times the last time on a new 57 footer with a 37 horse Beta on the highest spring tide of the year and the boat coped admirably. How long is the boat u r looking at ? it will have some bearing on your final desicion

:lol: Hi

Twenty years ago I did Keadby to nottingham on a 56 footer with an old 9 hp lister LR2, I picked my time and managed but would not recommend it. I have since done it several times the last time on a new 57 footer with a 37 horse Beta on the highest spring tide of the year and the boat coped admirably. How long is the boat u r looking at ? it will have some bearing on your final desicion

Hi. Thanks for your reply, it is a 57 footer.

Perhaps of far more importance than the actual engine's power rating (which it will probably never achieve in marine use) is ensuring the prop is correctly matched to boat & transmission - INCLUDING larger than normal blade areas if that is appropriate. That way you will be getting the maximum effect from whatever engine power is available.

In any case watermanship is probably far more important than outright engine power. If you can get a few trips out with an experienced river boatman try to learn to "read the river" and to use the current to help you manoeuvre. I have said it here before but last summer I sat watching cruisers wagging all over the river accompanied by much engine revving trying to negotiate Sonning bridge (very strong cross river flow from weir just below the bridge). When I did it the "wag" was far less without any engine revving yet my 30ish BHP was probably only a half or a quarter the power of some of those cruiser. Know your boat, know your river and act accordingly - I bet there will be yachts around with perhaps only an 8hp engine.

Perhaps of far more importance than the actual engine's power rating (which it will probably never achieve in marine use) is ensuring the prop is correctly matched to boat & transmission - INCLUDING larger than normal blade areas if that is appropriate. That way you will be getting the maximum effect from whatever engine power is available.

In any case watermanship is probably far more important than outright engine power. If you can get a few trips out with an experienced river boatman try to learn to "read the river" and to use the current to help you manoeuvre. I have said it here before but last summer I sat watching cruisers wagging all over the river accompanied by much engine revving trying to negotiate Sonning bridge (very strong cross river flow from weir just below the bridge). When I did it the "wag" was far less without any engine revving yet my 30ish BHP was probably only a half or a quarter the power of some of those cruiser. Know your boat, know your river and act accordingly - I bet there will be yachts around with perhaps only an 8hp engine.

Thanks for that. It sounds very good advice.

I agree with all of Tony's comments regarding hp matching prop etc.

I have spent many hours navigating 'flood condition' rivers and trips up from Bow creek to Teddington in a 50' NB with a 16hp Petter. The trick is to know how not to get in to dodgy situations in the first place.

There is no real substitue for knowing how to read a river and getting knowledge (by asking/taking advice) of local conditions.

Obviously, a bit of grunt to spare is useful for when you get it wrong (as we all do at some time or another).

I originally intended to keep my boat on the Trent so asked for the 42hp Isuzi instead of the normal 35hp they would usually fit in a 57 footer.

We were stranded at Gunthorpe in 2007 for 10 days during the floods, but then managed to push up against a still fairly fast flow with no problems at an economical 1200 rmp. The hardest section was going under the railway bridge between Stoke Lock and Holme Pierepoint Lock where the whole river seems to pour through the centre section had to up the revs a touch to about 1400 with still plenty in reserve.

I used to work small boats in the Solent and Cowes Harbour and had got used to coping with some pretty strong currents so the Trent didn't daunt me, but I will agree with the other posts, you can't beat local knowledge, take as much advice as you can, and if you can take an experienced hand with you on a couple of trips so much the better.

I still use the Trent quite a lot as boat is now moored at Shardlow so hope to see you out there sometime,

Good Luck

Bob

Thanks for that Bob. We were wondering which marina to choose, we live quite close to Newark and were thinking about Kings, but wonder whether it would not be better to travel further in the car and keep the boat somewhere like Shardlow. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Alison

Hi Alison.

As Bob says the Trent at Newark is not tidal but the river is subject to flood flows

Shardlow or Sawley is a very central location. You have the choice of four directions without worrying to much about river conditions.

I enjoy the Trent but you must respect it, the lockys are very good for help and advice.

I don't think your engine will be an issue.

The only problems for me, on any river, is entering some of the tidal locks on to a canal

Do not cut river bends, they can become very shallow on the inside.

Alex

Hi Alex

Thanks for that.

I was wondering about mooring the boat more centrally so as to avoid having to always do the same stretch up to Nottingham every time. Are there any marinas in particular that you would recommend. Sawley does have the advantage of being the same company as Kings Newark so they have an arrangement where you can use all of their marinas inclusive of the mooring fees.

Alison

Hi Alex

Thanks for that.

I was wondering about mooring the boat more centrally so as to avoid having to always do the same stretch up to Nottingham every time. Are there any marinas in particular that you would recommend. Sawley does have the advantage of being the same company as Kings Newark so they have an arrangement where you can use all of their marinas inclusive of the mooring fees.

Alison

HI Alison

NOT Shardlow Marina. I spent three days there once and fell out with them everyday!!

Finally being accused of having 'an attitude' ------------ maybe it was me but I doubt it, I always try not to fall out with ony one, life's to short.

Alex

One extra point that has not been mentioned yet. Whatever power you finally decide on, it is important to make sure the cooling system can cope with prolonged high power. I have plenty of power available but cannot use it for very long without the engine temperature starting to creep up.

Arthur

I agree with all of Tony's comments regarding hp matching prop etc.

I have spent many hours navigating 'flood condition' rivers and trips up from Bow creek to Teddington in a 50' NB with a 16hp Petter. The trick is to know how not to get in to dodgy situations in the first place.

There is no real substitue for knowing how to read a river and getting knowledge (by asking/taking advice) of local conditions.

Obviously, a bit of grunt to spare is useful for when you get it wrong (as we all do at some time or another).

What sort of Petter, Proper Job? Not off topic because we'll be moving our boat (with its PD2) to the Stainforth and Keadby in a year's time.

SteveE

I'd be happy with a 9 horse ! And a 70' boat.

Any problems head for the bank and stem it up.

Fore end first and you will slip off if level drops.

I did get Clover on a sunken island on the tideway with an 18 h p Petter and all was well.

Its not the size ITS WHAT YOU DO WITH IT ! ! !

Edited by bargeeboy

I have just been down to keaby(2 weeks ago) in a 50 ft powered with a 14 hp yanmar engine managed to get into keadby as the tide turned and boy does the tide turn fast there from 5 knots going out to 10 knots comming in in a mater of seconds although i wouldnt want to bring it back up that stretch it would be a struggle

What sort of Petter, Proper Job? Not off topic because we'll be moving our boat (with its PD2) to the Stainforth and Keadby in a year's time.

SteveE

PH2W - An utterly reliable little engine that used to love to be worked hard. 16hp@2000rpm or there abouts. It was the marine version of the 2 cylinder industrial unit that powered dumper trucks, cement mixers etc of the era. God, it could take some abuse :lol: