Why Me?

Proper Job

Featured Posts

Its been a strange day

Bones is off on her great adventure. Her target is to get to Cropredy and back in 10 days (a trip of about 25 hours cruising time – go steady girl). Anyway…. I digress. I’m at work and at about 1.30 I get a text from her: “You’ve got a Patrol Notice”. Interesting thinks I.

I need to take you back. I’ve spent all Winter at Thrupp on the 7 day visitor moorings which were turned in to Private moorings for the duration. At midnight on 31st March my mooring agreement expired and they reverted back to 7 day moorings.

I could have stayed where I was until 7th April, but it was a nice day on Saturday (4th) so I took a potter to Oxford and back.

When I got back I moored on the 14 day moorings by the Jolly Boatman. There I stayed, quite happy in the knowledge that I was safe.

So why, when I got home tonight, did I have a BW Patrol Notice on my boat saying that I have, “Overstayed at a designated visitor mooring location”.

It’s a 14 day mooring. I’ve been there since Saturday. It’s now Thursday. 9 days ago I was on a ‘Private mooring’. How can I have overstayed? Have I missed something?

Obviously there is only answer phone on the Patrol Notice contact number.

Then I noticed that someone had moved my boat. I was right at one end of the 14 day moorings. I am now 2 mooring rings in. And my boat was tied up in a way that I would never tie it up. Who's been messing with my boat?

And to make matters worse…….. Me squeezy Marmite has run out so I’ve had to have peanut butter on my toast!

Woz goin’ on? I think I need to go to the pub

I have had a similar day.

We received a notice saying we had overstayed in a 14 day spot - when in fact be have only stayed 13.... Now I know this as I keep a strict record to avoid such notices and be a good girl....but...

ALSO I had a notice a few weeks ago saying the boat had overstayed in a spot that a) we hadnt even been moored in ...and :lol: that we had overstayed the 7 days....

but the spot we were in was a 14 day and we had only been there 8 days.

WHAT???!

I think they are trying to wind us up on purpose. When I rang them the nice lady said ' oh dont worry, chuck it away..disregard it...it is a mistake.'

mmmmmmm.....thats great ! but can I do that with any further notices I receive... and further can I disregard any letters threateneing to take the licence away due to such 'mistakes' and fictional overstays??

Ah,

We did see a BW patrol man with a squeezy Marmite bottle earlier on.

Being only visitors to Thrupp, it didn't strike us odd at the time, and we assumed that all BW staff in this region were probably issued with the stuff.

Next time we'll feel more empowered to challenge such behaviour, though.

This is indeed a very odd place however - the channel on our satellite box that's announcing itself as BBC News 24 is actually Channel Five. :lol:

there's a rumour that BW find it cheaper to enforce the 14 day "rule" and impound boats in the first place than enter into lengthy negotiations, based on what happened last year in the East Mids... Maybe this is an indicator of things to come..?

Q. "Why me?"

A. You were obviously Hitler in a previous life, and deserve the full wrath of BW minions. Marmite will only be available to you in jars fresh from the fridge and all beer will be of the non-alcoholic variety. In addition, your boat will be randomly moved and superglue poured over your knots, you will only ever speak to automated response systems, which will invariably disconnect after asking you to leave a message, but before the beep.

so I took a potter to Oxford and back.

Do you give lifts to any craftsmen?

And to make matters worse…….. Me squeezy Marmite has run out so I’ve had to have peanut butter on my toast!

It's clearly divine retribution. Squeezy Marmite is just plain wrong. :lol:

We get similar problems down here on The Broads with the Broads navigation rangers, I moved an unlicenced boat out of my dyke to enable me to move another boat out onto the river and got a contravention notice for my trouble, had to pay a week's visitors toll (£20 !!!) I should add the boat in question was about to be sold to a chap from Sheffield which was why it was not tolled. In fact he paid for it weeks ago and still has not collected it.

If you didnt moor or over-stay, or indeed contravene any regs or by-laws whats the problem...... File the notices away and ignore them. Just ensure your record keeping is better than BW's, which should not present too much of a challenge even for the terminally bearded.

If you didnt moor or over-stay, or indeed contravene any regs or by-laws whats the problem...... File the notices away and ignore them. Just ensure your record keeping is better than BW's, which should not present too much of a challenge even for the terminally bearded.

As these records are kept by BW I would want a written apology stating it was wrong. If you collect enough of these BW could be refusing you a license next time.

Sue

To be honest, how BW would use a Patrol Notice in a court of law is beyond me (if indeed, there would ever be a circumstance when they would?)

The Patrol Officer could even be bothered to fill in the time time and date on the form.

I love all of the other replies. You will be glad to know that additional Marmite supplies were procured at Banbury

To be honest, how BW would use a Patrol Notice in a court of law is beyond me (if indeed, there would ever be a circumstance when they would?)

The Patrol Officer could even be bothered to fill in the time time and date on the form.

I love all of the other replies. You will be glad to know that additional Marmite supplies were procured at Banbury

More to the point, what I want to know is how did you manage to get back to Thrupp so quickly?

We came by road (albeit with a minor delay and deviation) but you were there before us - definitely evidence of either irresponsible speeding, irresponsible insomnia or unadulterated aggression to an otherwise benign JP3! Come on, own up or I will have to report you to Gordon Brown!

More to the point, what I want to know is how did you manage to get back to Thrupp so quickly?

We came by road (albeit with a minor delay and deviation) but you were there before us - definitely evidence of either irresponsible speeding, irresponsible insomnia or unadulterated aggression to an otherwise benign JP3! Come on, own up or I will have to report you to Gordon Brown!

How can I help it if that rattly BMW diesel of yours is slower than my silky smooth JP3.

The trip back became quicker once the water skier fell off the rope. He was causing too much drag :lol:

Edited to add:

I have to come clean. I made it back quickly as I had Saladdays for crew :lol:

Edited by Proper Job

How can I help it if that rattly BMW diesel of yours is slower than my silky smooth JP3.

The trip back became quicker once the water skier fell off the rope. He was causing too much drag :lol:

Edited to add:

I have to come clean. I made it back quickly as I had Saladdays for crew :lol:

:lol:

A troll and a potter, I hope that all the extra weight did not make the boat out of trim. However it would explain how the marmite was used so quickly.

Serisously I would want a letter from BW appologising to keep in your records.

Tim

I have, in the past, moored the boat up, gone to the shops, and come back to find a form stuck to it.

Are the BW patrol notices phrased as agressively as those of the Conservators of the Cam? Theirs begin by saying that this is the only warning, with no more further notice, and if you fail to comply court proceedings will begin. Which is unlikely, seeing as by law they have to give you 29 days beforeeven considering going to court, under their bylaws...

OK - Joking apart

I would really like to speak to someone at BW with regard to the Patrol Notice placed on my boat.

The only info I have is that it the Patrol Notice is signed by Phil Brogan and I have been given two contact numbers:

01908 681272 and

01908 681279

Both are never answered and constantly go to voice mail requesting that you leave a message. Messages left, but no one has returned my calls.

I'm getting a little hacked off :lol:

OK - Joking apart

I would really like to speak to someone at BW with regard to the Patrol Notice placed on my boat.

The only info I have is that it the Patrol Notice is signed by Phil Brogan and I have been given two contact numbers:

01908 681272 and

01908 681279

Both are never answered and constantly go to voice mail requesting that you leave a message. Messages left, but no one has returned my calls.

Now, here's an interesting thing, and I don't know what it means. Both of those numbers are listed on this website: http://www.phonespamfilter.co.uk/phones.php/01908681

However, Phil Brogan is mentioned as a patrol officer on Hadar's blog

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I once had a contact (before patrol notices) of Greyhound being tied on the loading bay at Sutton Stop for 2 weeks.

I had actually loaded anbd gone to London with coal and back in that time.

Remember they are a Navigation Authority and nothing else !!

Suedo police type chequers on the notice (I have a nice collection) have no weight !!

Persist continually and wait for the section 8 then move in the 28 days they give you!

Edited by bargeeboy

OK - Joking apart

01908 681272 and

01908 681279

Write to customer service at BW head office watford stating the problems and state that you wish your letter to be treated as a 'stage one complaint'.

Sue