Best Budget Narrowboats.. Under 35ft and under 25k??

larrysanders

Featured Posts

Hi all.. sorry if this topic has come up before. I've just sold my faithful Springer Waterbug which I've had for several years to upgrade to something bigger. I'm now spending many hours searching the net for a new purchase... but what.. and where from? How long is a piece of string I know... but has anyone seen a good buy in recent weeks??

What we need: 3 berth, shower, hot water, reliable engine, and a valid BSC. Trad or cruiser...

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Hi all.. sorry if this topic has come up before. I've just sold my faithful Springer Waterbug which I've had for several years to upgrade to something bigger. I'm now spending many hours searching the net for a new purchase... but what.. and where from? How long is a piece of string I know... but has anyone seen a good buy in recent weeks??

What we need: 3 berth, shower, hot water, reliable engine, and a valid BSC. Trad or cruiser...

Thanks for any suggestions!!

I assume that you mean second-hand, as you would not get even the cheapest brand new boat at that price these days? Well, I rather think that you've answered your own question: as your waterbug was "faithful" and you had her for several years, look for a bigger Springer. There are plenty around to choose from.

Whilton Marina has a great selection of boats, sometimes at great prices. There are probably more s/h boats there than at any other brokerage. I don't know where you are based, but two hours spent looking at their stock, noting down features of various boats which you like, will greatly assist your choice even if you don't actually find your dream boat there.

There is at least one narrowboat broker who contributes to this forum; perhaps he/ they will come up with a nice tidy 30-footer for you.

thanks for that... i'm looking at thier website right now. it's strange because when buying a secondhand car there's a set market value.. with narrow boats prices vary dramatically - and some brokers appear much more pricey than others.. !

My copy of CB arrived today too and I'm just having a look at the adverts. It's worth remembering that brokers don't always include their cheaper boats in their magazine adverts, as they would (quite reasonably) rather use a set number of column inches to make £60,000 than £15,000.

Whilton Marina has a great selection of boats, sometimes at great prices.

As you say "sometimes" but not always. I've often thought that if I were selling my beloved boat I'd choose Whilton because their prices seem so much higher than everywhere else.

thanks for that... i'm looking at thier website right now. it's strange because when buying a secondhand car there's a set market value.. with narrow boats prices vary dramatically - and some brokers appear much more pricey than others.. !

Rmember the asking price is very diferent to the value! Start with an offer of what you want to pay first. We nearly bought a little old boat from Whilton a couple of years ago, the original asking price was 14.950k reduced to 9.50k, we had a survey done, the surveyer said it was only worth 6k so we offered about 4k and it was accepted!!! Unfortunately we could not proceed, and of course it need a lot of work, but it just goes to show. We were at Whilton last summer - the boat is still going strong with nothing having been done to it!! Good luck and be bold.

Rmember the asking price is very diferent to the value! Start with an offer of what you want to pay first. We nearly bought a little old boat from Whilton a couple of years ago, the original asking price was 14.950k reduced to 9.50k, we had a survey done, the surveyer said it was only worth 6k so we offered about 4k and it was accepted!!! Unfortunately we could not proceed, and of course it need a lot of work, but it just goes to show. We were at Whilton last summer - the boat is still going strong with nothing having been done to it!! Good luck and be bold.

That's incredible 11k off the asking price... I have found one boat i like although the owner is being totally unrealistic with the price, I've been told (by other boaters) it's been on the market for 18 months which makes me thinks there's something wrong with it... or it's massively overpriced!!

[ I have found one boat i like although the owner is being totally unrealistic with the price, I've been told (by other boaters) it's been on the market for 18 months which makes me thinks there's something wrong with it... or it's massively overpriced!!

You will need to speak to a surveyor. It does not sound as though he needs or is serious about selling.