Honda Outboard 15hp - Economical or not...?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

Hi I'm thinking of buying a 30ft narrowboat with a Honda 15hp outboard on the back. I've been told it's a very thirsty engine. I did have a Springer Waterbug with an old 9.9hp Honda... and that was fine.. Any thoughts, anyone?

PS 'Hello to all' as I've just joined!!

Hi I'm thinking of buying a 30ft narrowboat with a Honda 15hp outboard on the back. I've been told it's a very thirsty engine. I did have a Springer Waterbug with an old 9.9hp Honda... and that was fine.. Any thoughts, anyone?

I found my Honda 15 very frugal.

I made one journey, from Nottingham to Crick, on 3 gallons of petrol, which I was more than happy with.

Beware of know all 'helpful boaters', I have got a 'old style' Honda 15hp , it is fantastic - super reliable and as Carl says very frugal. The only drawback on canals is the lack of the ability to find suitable fuel. Hardly any 'fuel stops sell petrol.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

sounds ok then... what was your boat and would it make a big difference pushing a small narrowboat along?

it was while i was viewing the boat a helpful boater 'warned me' about the petrol consumption!?!

It was a Dawncraft 27 fibreglass cruiser. Consumption may go up a bit, if it's hung on a steel boat but not excessively.

One of the problems with an outboard is that you can't get petrol from boatyards but, as long as you plan ahead, it's not usually a problem.

It is the same size engine as the 9.9 ( I think it ia abouty 350cc). It is just capable of revving higher. I had one on a Waterbug and it was fine - about 1 litre/hour. Utterly and completely reliable. I had the Waterbug for six years and had no problems at all.

same here... my honda on the waterbug was brilliant! even started in depths of winters after being cold for weeks it started.. i was really surprised when he went on about how thirsty 15hip was. on the waterbug we bought a big jerry can and chained to the front of the boat when doing the leicester ring... topping it up just twice!

Hi, I used to look after several honda 15hp four strokes, they were fitted on the back of 4.8m rigid inflatables and used as safety boats and ferries for a the yacht club I worked for.

They used to make the RIBS plane fairly easily and after changing from 2 stroke mercury engines the savings in fuel was very substantial.

Treat them gently don't go charging around at full throttle and you will be pleasantly suprised at how frugal they can be.

Regards

Bob

Until recenty I had a honda BF15a, the squarer silver top, which is identical to the blue one.

There is a reason why Honda outboards have an excellent reputation. They are bullet proof, and are very very frugal. expect a 15HP To use 1-1.5 litres an hour at cruising speed.

the early 9.9 and 15 had a 6 amp charge capacity while the later ones 12, so you will need to be careful what your electrickery demands are.

oh do replace the cam belt regularly, and if it's of unknown age if you buy the boat replace it on purchase.

Happy Cruising.